I'm back

caniglycanigly Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I've been away from DAZ for a long time with medical issues and haven't kept current. :( I downloaded v4.6 and the content downloader too. I bought the Vicky 6 bundle and downloaded it all. I'm trying to get used to the new DAZ program and I think the downloader scattered my content and files all over my HD. My question is this: Can I download all my content manually and put it in a Runtime folder? What should the file structure look like in my DAZ folder look like? I'm on a Mac running system 10.6+ Any help?

Thanks,
Tim

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Yes you can DL and install manualy. Just go to your Account Page and find the heading "Product Library" and DL your content from there.

You can change DIM to install where you want them to install to.

The structure is exactly the same as before apart from the folder called Content is now called "My Daz Library" or something like that. I don't use DIM hence why I am guessing on the name.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Fist of all, welcome back. Things have changed a lot if it has been a while since you used DAZ Studio (or Poser).

DIM installs content to the correct folders inside the library folder that you tell it to install to. The default location is different to the old default of My Library, and the DIM uses C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library. Everything is put in the correct location inside that folder, I have never had any errors using DIM so far. What content exactly do you think has been put in the wrong place?

Using the DIM, you can decide what folder you want to use to install content into, and you can change the default location of the DIM. To correct it, use the uninstall option within the DIM, and then re-install to whatever folder you want to be your main DAZ Studio library folder.

DS content folders always have a folder called Runtime, which is used for Poser content, and the DIM puts all Poser files in there.

You do not need to use the DIM, and you can download and install the content yourself. It is a lot simpler using the DIM, especially if you are not sure what folder to install to. Almost all content now is in ZIP format, no more EXE installers, and the same file does both PC and Mac users. If you go to your Product Library in your My Accounts area, you should find them all there.

The DIM also has a filter option, so it only downloads the files that you need, depending on what applications you are using, and you can also use the DIM to just download the files that you need, and you can install them yourself. I would like to get to the bottom of why you think the DIM scattered files all over you HDD, it certainly should not do that, and if we can clear that up, installing content should be a lot simpler for you.

• caniglycanigly Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Fist of all, welcome back. Things have changed a lot if it has been a while since you used DAZ Studio (or Poser).

DIM installs content to the correct folders inside the library folder that you tell it to install to. The default location is different to the old default of My Library, and the DIM uses C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library. Everything is put in the correct location inside that folder, I have never had any errors using DIM so far. What content exactly do you think has been put in the wrong place?

Using the DIM, you can decide what folder you want to use to install content into, and you can change the default location of the DIM. To correct it, use the uninstall option within the DIM, and then re-install to whatever folder you want to be your main DAZ Studio library folder.

DS content folders always have a folder called Runtime, which is used for Poser content, and the DIM puts all Poser files in there.

You do not need to use the DIM, and you can download and install the content yourself. It is a lot simpler using the DIM, especially if you are not sure what folder to install to. Almost all content now is in ZIP format, no more EXE installers, and the same file does both PC and Mac users. If you go to your Product Library in your My Accounts area, you should find them all there.

The DIM also has a filter option, so it only downloads the files that you need, depending on what applications you are using, and you can also use the DIM to just download the files that you need, and you can install them yourself. I would like to get to the bottom of why you think the DIM scattered files all over you HDD, it certainly should not do that, and if we can clear that up, installing content should be a lot simpler for you.

As an example, under the Users/Shared ( a Mac folder?)folder, I now have a file called Daz 3D and another named My DAZ 3D Library. These are way separated from the DAZ application folder. I am thinking all folders pertaining to DAZ 3D 4.6 should be within that folder...?? I did load some Poser stuff too and I'm not sure where it went. I don't plan on loading a bunch of content this time around... it was confusing last time I used the program... LOL. Thanks

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Yes you can DL and install manualy. Just go to your Account Page and find the heading "Product Library" and DL your content from there.

You can change DIM to install where you want them to install to.

The structure is exactly the same as before apart from the folder called Content is now called "My Daz Library" or something like that. I don't use DIM hence why I am guessing on the name.

The My Daz Library folder is in a separate folder named User/Shared. It's nowhere near my DAZ app folder. I think there may be other "renegade" files/folders hiding out on my HD. It would be helpful to see a screenshot of a correct DAZ app folder, so I know what should be where. Thanks

edited July 2013

Applications and user data are NEVER stored in the same folder nowadays. That applies to both Mac and Windows applications to the best of my knowledge. The location of app data is a protected area, and user data should never be written into that folder.

The content should all be installed to the folder called My DAZ 3D Library, and that applies to DAZ Studio content AND Poser content as well. The Poser content will be installed to a folder called 'runtime' inside the My DAZ 3D Library folder, which is there for that purpose.

To view any of the content inside DAZ Studio, that folder, My DAZ 3D Library, MUST be listed as both a Poser Formats and DAZ Studio Formats folder in the Content Directory Manager. You can find it by going to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager. Make sure that the correct path is listed is listed for both types.

To find Poser content inside DS, go to the Content Library pane, then look for Poser Formats > My DAZ 3D Library > Figures for things like M4 or V4, or clothing and hair items for these figures. All of the Genesis content is in DAZ Studio Formats > My DAZ 3D Library > People > Genesis (and Genesis 2).

Smart Content relies on Metadata, and not everything has that at the moment, but most new items should show up there as well. If you are going to use the DIM to install content, I would advise you to read the Help files that come along with it, and if you have any further questions on how that should work, please just ask.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited July 2013

thanks, I'll keep plugging away

Post edited by canigly on
    edited December 1969

Applications and user data are NEVER stored in the same folder nowadays. That applies to both Mac and Windows applications to the best of my knowledge. The location of app data is a protected area, and user data should never be written into that folder.

The content should all be installed to the folder called My DAZ 3D Library, and that applies to DAZ Studio content AND Poser content as well. The Poser content will be installed to a folder called 'runtime' inside the My DAZ 3D Library folder, which is there for that purpose.

To view any of the content inside DAZ Studio, that folder, My DAZ 3D Library, MUST be listed as both a Poser Formats and DAZ Studio Formats folder in the Content Directory Manager. You can find it by going to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager. Make sure that the correct path is listed is listed for both types.

To find Poser content inside DS, go to the Content Library pane, then look for Poser Formats > My DAZ 3D Library > Figures for things like M4 or V4, or clothing and hair items for these figures. All of the Genesis content is in DAZ Studio Formats > My DAZ 3D Library > People > Genesis (and Genesis 2).

Smart Content relies on Metadata, and not everything has that at the moment, but most new items should show up there as well. If you are going to use the DIM to install content, I would advise you to read the Help files that come along with it, and if you have any further questions on how that should work, please just ask.

I see now that my content was misplaced into that "Users" file I mentioned before and the directory in the Content Manager is pointing to it there. I had manually placed everything in the DAZ 3D 4.6 application folder. Now I have to figure out how to get the Content Manager to look there.

edited December 1969

Canigly said:
    Now I have to figure out how to get the Content Manager to look there.
    you called http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11176/#160953 lol
    edited July 2013

. I had manually placed everything in the DAZ 3D 4.6 application folder. Now I have to figure out how to get the Content Manager to look there.

As I pointed out before in my previous posts, you should NOT install any user content into the applications folder. You can change the DIM to install files there if you wish, but it would be a very bad idea. It is much better to remove the content that is in the applications folder, and install it in the correct folder.
    Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited December 1969

. I had manually placed everything in the DAZ 3D 4.6 application folder. Now I have to figure out how to get the Content Manager to look there.

As I pointed out before in my previous posts, you should NOT install any user content into the applications folder. You can change the DIM to install files there if you wish, but it would be a very bad idea. It is much better to remove the content that is in the applications folder, and install it in the correct folder.

Ok, I uninstalled everything. Started over. In the past, I always had my content in a Content folder in my Application Folder and all was well for 3 years of DAZ fun. Now, I have the Daz 4.6 program in one folder with it's installed files. And under Users, I have 2 folders for my content both DAZ and Poser. It still doesn't seem/work right. The file structure from inside the program is like this: Under DAZ Studio content I have 2 folders named My DAZ 3D Library and My Library... both have a "S" on the folders for Studio content. Then under Poser content, I have two folders named the same, but no "S" on the folder. Is this correct?

I'm sorry to be a PIA... I must be dumb as a stump.. LOL. It seemed a lot simpler before this v4 program.

edited December 1969

Can you post some screenshots of the Content Directory Manager with both Daz And Poser formats expanded.

Also where do you want your content to be. It is your choice, obviously not with the Application but it is still your choice. As long as Daz Studio can see the paths correctly you should have access to all your content no matter where you install content. And when I mean access I mean through the Content Library Pane and not the Smart Content Pane. That is the true test if it doesn't show up in the Content Library pane then there is a problem.

edited December 1969

Pete is correct.

you don't need two folders, My Library, AND My DAZ 3D Library, they are one and the same thing, but you can leave them like that for the moment. The Poser one is a problem. You do not need a separate folder for Poser Content, it already has it's own folder inside My Library and My DAZ 3D Library, it is called 'runtime'.

If you are installing DAZ Studio content, it goes into My DAZ 3D Library
    If you are installing Poser content, it goes into My DAZ 3D Library

The DIM knows where to put the content, it installs the DS stuff into the appropriate folders, and it installs the Poser stuff into the runtime folder. You do not need to tell DIM what kind of content it is, just point it to the My DAZ 3D Library folder, and it will do the reset.

edited December 1969

Pete is correct.

you don't need two folders, My Library, AND My DAZ 3D Library, they are one and the same thing, but you can leave them like that for the moment. The Poser one is a problem. You do not need a separate folder for Poser Content, it already has it's own folder inside My Library and My DAZ 3D Library, it is called 'runtime'.

If you are installing DAZ Studio content, it goes into My DAZ 3D Library
    If you are installing Poser content, it goes into My DAZ 3D Library

The DIM knows where to put the content, it installs the DS stuff into the appropriate folders, and it installs the Poser stuff into the runtime folder. You do not need to tell DIM what kind of content it is, just point it to the My DAZ 3D Library folder, and it will do the reset.

I think this may be a MAC problem. Last installation, the installer never put in the folder My DAZ 3D Library. It did previously. Here is my Content Manager path:

Users/Shared/MyDAZ3DLibrary This folder is non-existant on this last install. I did a find file and it is not on my HD.
    Users/myname/Documents/DAZ3D/Studio/MyLibrary This folder is there. The directory is the same for the Poser content.

I'm thinking this could be a MAC problem. I would like to see a screenshot of a MAC's file setup, so I would know what and where the files should be.

edited December 1969

Can you post some screenshots of the Content Directory Manager with both Daz And Poser formats expanded.

Also where do you want your content to be. It is your choice, obviously not with the Application but it is still your choice. As long as Daz Studio can see the paths correctly you should have access to all your content no matter where you install content. And when I mean access I mean through the Content Library Pane and not the Smart Content Pane. That is the true test if it doesn't show up in the Content Library pane then there is a problem.[/quote

I'm not even using the Smart Content pane. See my last post for Content Directory pathway.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Canigly said:
    I think this may be a MAC problem. Last installation, the installer never put in the folder My DAZ 3D Library. It did previously. Here is my Content Manager path:

Users/Shared/MyDAZ3DLibrary This folder is non-existant on this last install. I did a find file and it is not on my HD.
    Users/myname/Documents/DAZ3D/Studio/MyLibrary This folder is there. The directory is the same for the Poser content.

I'm thinking this could be a MAC problem. I would like to see a screenshot of a MAC's file setup, so I would know what and where the files should be.

The Path I enlarged and Bolded is the Default DS4.6 Path, it is created by the DS4.6 installer, the DIM defaults to a different path at install. The easy thing for you would be to USE the cog (upper right of DIM) and set that path as your DIM install path. The DIM comes with a Help button, just read the USER Manual section to see how to set that as your install path.