Making an Undersleeve for Midriff

Lots of great outfits with a gap in the midriff to the hips. If I select "torso" and add a diffuse material and bump, darn thing goes up the neck to the ears. I just want to give impression of a tank shirt or undergarment between the end of a jacket or shirt, to the waistband of pants inside their respective hems, not as a belt. I tried to make a geoshell, but again, because of the configuration, I could not turn off the ears/neck shoulder. Is there a way to make a midriff "garment" that fits under the bottom of a top, and the top of a bottom? I realize there are different styles, but generally from under bust to just below crest of hip bone would work in most cases. 

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    edited May 2018

Why don't you use use an actual tank top / tshirt. or blouse etc under the midriff top You can get the items to fit properly, same as a bra under a blouse.

Fit Control is how I solve those problems: https://www.daz3d.com/fit-control-for-genesis-8-female-s

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

A LIE layer? underwear painted on it?

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited May 2018

​@fastbike1 and @Chohole

thank you both for your suggestions. The problem for me is that I am using garments from different Genesis generations, with Sickleyield's product, which works well. What happens if I try to put an under shirt on is the collision factor get messed up in places that jsut don't adjust well, when I apply poses. All of the tank tops and shirts I have, whatever genesis type, are too short at the waist to achieve the effect of a long shirt except 2 which are meant to be worn over the waistband.  As for the LIE, I just don't know how to work that even with presets. I never get the results I expect. 

However, I found a tutorial on how to make symmetrical and neat surface selection with the Geometry Editor tool, and so I made a surface of the midriff, and then decided to go up  but below  the neck, which is not so easy due to the mesh structure. Since it will be underneath a jacket type with low riding pants, I selected quite low and high so that bends and stretches would not gap, and there is no poke through. I decided to use a knit texture and bump, then used the Iray script to transform the texture to Iray.  I am not sure how to save this new surface, as a preset or a material. Obviously, it will be on the "skin" of the character, in this case, Corbin. I just saved as scene for now. I have attached 2 views to show how this looks. 

Here is the tutorial on Youtube where I learned this technique. How to Create Multiple Surface Zones in Daz Studio -Tutorial #4 by Flagg 3D

MIDDRIFFRontNeckWaistRed.jpg
    588 x 886 - 54K
    MIDDRIFSideBend.jpg
    487 x 886 - 62K
    Post edited by IceScribe on
  • I had a similar question and got a few excellent replies from forum users suggesting using geoshells (with tutorials helpfully added).

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/214731/using-body-glove-body-suit-under-revealing-clothing#latest

@Umi no Senshi no Ishi

thank you for the link. I wondered how the figure could have a geoshell from a surface selection, since the torso on G3 goes up the nape toe the back of the head, until I read the mention of "face groups". There's a whole new techinique to study!

Here's what I did: To begin, select the figure, then go to Create, new geometry shell. Make sure to select in the popup "parent to figure". Now, select the geometry shell to begin to select the polygons to make an "undershirt"

So, to find the terms listed in the tutorial by "using body glove"  we see the critical ones have changed their names. Basically, the instruction from the old DAZ wiki was:

Use the Polygon Group Editor [now called Geometry Editor tool] to select items in a conforming item and assign them to particular groups. 

Set viewport view to "Texture Wire Shaded" [left out of the wiki]. Your cursor will not select polygons unless in this view. The cursor looks like a tiny circle. Zoom in for better control of selection.

View tool pane. Activate (select) Polygon Group Editor [but in later DAZ versions this is now called "GEOMETRY EDITOR"

Select polygons [Using the Control key down to keep all the polygons while you continue to select, not mentioned in the wiki]

when desired polygons are selected, right click and choose Create Surface Group. Name it in the popup. I used "Belly" so it appeared near top of list and wasn't any of the other names.

You will see the new surface group with the name you typed appear in the Surfaces pane.

This little bit is vague: Delete empty groups as needed.

What I found was another tutorial that says, 

Go to the Parameters pane, scroll down to the geoshell and  select visibility.  The Parameters pane now shows all the "groups" associated with the figure. Turn off the eye for each group you do not want. 

I set the "offset" for the geometry shell mesh to 0.20 to get a bit of depth at neckline but not cause poke through. 

Next go to surface pane, and do the usual to add textures. I don't know about the shaders, because I wanted a bump. A strong pattern and bump will camoflage the navel which still shows even with slider to 0. [Navel in Shaping under Waist] or a little postwork cloning will work.

When you add a garment, like an open jacket to the figure (not the geoshell), choose Collision object as the shell. 

Now, after I had laboriously seleted by cursor the polygons I wanted, (which worked for a lower neckline) I found that turning off the eye for the groups was much faster. I found that the shoulders on/off will help with poke through. 

So, thank you all, for your suggestions, they all worked for me to solve this process. I hope this will help others who need to make flexible none poke through torso coverage.