Puffball has no fur!

oliver_reedoliver_reed Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi

What am I missing (apart from a decent chunk of Daz 3D experience)?

I have installed this
http://www.daz3d.com/puffball

I double checked it all installed correctly as the file list contained in the product.

I apply a Material to the Puffball model - but no fur?

See pic againt http://www.daz3d.com/puffball

Please help.

Thanks

Dom

puff.jpg
1000 x 562 - 47K

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I don't have this object, but if you select it in the Scene pane, then go to the Surfaces pane, and select the Displacement channel, and turn that up a bit, you should see some fur I think.

You may need to play with the Max and Min levels, as well as the amount of Displacement.

• oliver_reedoliver_reed Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks. Tried that and no joy. The surface wasn't affected at all :(

Screen_Shot_2013-07-09_at_12.35_.26_.png
    1480 x 1157 - 418K
    edited December 1969

You have to render the image for displacement to show.

The viewport is controlled by OpenGl, and does not display displacement properly, and the same apples to shaders as well.

Render the image, and you will see the fur.

edited December 1969

ooops - seems to only control the surface in its entirety!

The model's default is smooth/blank - the 'fur' and colour is applied through dropping a material on it.

I'm stuck!

puff.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 113K
  • Emile_KhadajiEmile_Khadaji Posts: 0
    edited July 2013

To aid you better it would help to know which software package you installed this in? Poser or Daz Studio? ... and which version of those software packages.

Check to see if you used the MAT files provided for the figure. Look in the Pose catagorie under the folder name PuffballMAT.

Post edited by Emile_Khadaji on
    edited December 1969

hi - thanks for your reply

i'm on mac 64 bit v 4.6.0.18 Daz3d

yes i'm only applying the model mat

Screen_Shot_2013-07-09_at_14.45_.19_.png
    1617 x 984 - 454K
  • ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910
    edited December 1969

I remember this product, I have it, and I like it. the only problem with it is that the fur was designed with Poser in mind. I haven't played with LAMH yet, but Puffball is one product that will probably benefit from it. But As Is, for fur, it is Poser only. ::sigh::

• Emile_KhadajiEmile_Khadaji Posts: 0
    edited July 2013

I have been playing around with Puffball in Daz Studio 3 and Poser 6 on my Win Xp laptop, Daz 4.6 should still be able to render this figure correctly.

The results you are showing here look like the default textures on the cr2 figure. Try applying the other MAT Poses to the figure.

Post edited by Emile_Khadaji on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

Zelroth said:
    I remember this product, I have it, and I like it. the only problem with it is that the fur was designed with Poser in mind. I haven't played with LAMH yet, but Puffball is one product that will probably benefit from it. But As Is, for fur, it is Poser only. ::sigh::

I'm pretty certain its not Poser only, if I remember correctly the fur is a shader similar to the furrify shaders. Once this render has finished I will take a look.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

Its working fine for me in DS 4.6 latest version.
    Can you show a screen shot of your surface settings especially the Displacement, there should be a map in their and the settings should be
    strength 100%
    min -5.0
    max 5.0

puff_ball_copy.jpg
    636 x 592 - 104K
  • ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910
    edited December 1969

I hadn't tried it in 4.6 - haven't loaded it since Studio 3 to be honest. Since I don't have Poser on either of my computers now, it is good to know that it works in 4.6. Thank you for the info.

edited December 1969

Thanks Scorpio, I don't have this item so I couldn't try it.

edited December 1969

hi scorpio64dragon

thanks for taking the trouble to help

here's my settings + pic of the horrible creature that emerged.

when i select a surface using surface selection tool the whole model's skin is selected. i can't select just the body to apply settings.

any ideas?

thanks

help.jpg
    1134 x 1260 - 178K
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

It looks like you have applied the diffuse map to both bump and displacement. In the Content Library, under Pose you should have (amongst everything else) folders named Puffball (which has 4 poses) and PuffballMAT (which has 3 eye colours and 3 body colours). The actual figure has 4 material zones for the eyes and one for everything else. The body textures (PuffGrey, PuffTorty and PuffWhite all apply a bump and a separate displacement mat, so you can vary the amount of fuzziness:

Puff_300.jpg
    990 x 544 - 84K
    Puff_200.jpg
    991 x 538 - 82K
    Puff_100.jpg
    990 x 516 - 77K
    edited December 1969

thanks for your thoughts.

i'm following your outline but get rather different render results!

first up am i in the right place!

i have a feeling i'm not controlling the element i should be - please see my grab

thanks

help2.jpg
    1338 x 1175 - 339K
    edited December 1969

ah - the penny's dropped!

i should be in Pose/puffballMAT

NOT

Materials/puffball

very confusing! (at least to me...)

thanks all - now resolved.

puff.png
    1000 x 562 - 413K
    edited December 1969

Ahah, we got there - excellent!

And yes, not at all obvious having material settings under Pose, is it? One of those historical things ;)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Ahah, we got there - excellent!

And yes, not at all obvious having material settings under Pose, is it? One of those historical things ;)

Yes Mat poses are a hack someone worked out that has proved very useful for Poser users. Used to have to do them longhand, then people made all sorts of scripts to make them easier.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

This critter is downright...different. And I think I have it! You gave me a giggle though- the horrible creature that emerged, huh?! You probably hurt it's feelings!

Teasing aside, glad they could help you. Would love to see what you are rendering with this....thing.

edited December 1969

This is one I did with him: http://fav.me/d3jsf8m

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

SimonJM- very clever! Love the title too1

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    SimonJM- very clever! Love the title too1

Thanks, took a few goes to get it all hanging together, what with the dynamic clothing falling through the ship (there's a DAZ plane inside it to act as a buffer!) and the displacements not working right with the version of Reality.