Less Extreme Poses

nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
edited May 2018 in Product Suggestions

Usually I like having poses as a start to get the pose I want, and I have amassed quite a few, but I've noticed that when it comes to women figures just standing and not trying to look sexy or to appear like they're performing for the camera,  there are very few sets where women simply stand naturally, and if you're using Genesis 8 your options for natural poses drops considerably (also trying to figure out which prior genesis pose sets will work with a Gen 8 figure are really hit and miss).  So please, more naturalistic poses and a bit less cheesecake.

Post edited by nelsonsmith on

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Yeah, I agree. I'd love to see more "natural" poses too. And men too, it's hard to find male poses that look natural as well. Most of them look like they're ...well.. posing. Not like someone naturally just sitting or standing, but like "look at me and all my model-ness glory". lol While that works for the young model or sexy types of characters, it doesn't work for normal characters like grandpas and grandmas or even moms and dads. And looks REALLY awkward with older characters like the Ollie and Edie types. 

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    edited May 2018

Yeah, I agree. I'd love to see more "natural" poses too. And men too, it's hard to find male poses that look natural as well. Most of them look like they're ...well.. posing. Not like someone naturally just sitting or standing, but like "look at me and all my model-ness glory". lol While that works for the young model or sexy types of characters, it doesn't work for normal characters like grandpas and grandmas or even moms and dads. And looks REALLY awkward with older characters like the Ollie and Edie types. 

Yes it is very tedious trying to make an exagerrated pose naturalistic.  Much harder than starting from neutral.   Now that PA's have seemingly gotten over their aversion to younger characters all the sexy poses seem increasingly awkward, but I have to thank all the PAs who have started to include flat foot poses as an option.  Definitely a move in the right direction.

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
  • DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

I agree completely. I love Feral Fey's stuff because she goes for realistic instead of "cheese cake"

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Men’s poses are usually less sexualized and I use those for females frequently.

• I know the feeling, I've had no end of trouble getting ordinary sitting-down poses even in Genesis 3 (I haven't done much in Genesis 8 yet to notice the state of poses there), they all seem to be "Look at me, I'm UP to something!" poses, or they're various sorts of actively-doing-something-while-sitting stuff, like someone gesticulating at a co-worker.  Same sort of thing with standing poses.  So many of those seem to be of the character waving at someone, or holding up a sign, or crossing his arms, or gesticulating in some way.  I just want a sort of "I'm standing here sorta bored, waiting for the bus" sorta pose.  As I've accumulated more and more G3 pose sets, though, I'm starting to find more general-purpose sit poses and stand poses.  I'm guessing this issue is more pronounced with G8 poses, though, simply because there's not been as much time for those to accumulate on the market.  And... well... obviously because this thread was started due to the lack of same.  :)

But yeah, I definitely value having more standing up poses where the arms are mostly hanging at the character's sides and the legs arent placed as if he or she is trying to strike a pose or something. The same with sit poses, give me ones where the person is simply sitting more or less straight, maybe with his knees a little apart, and with his hands resting on his thighs or knees.  Makes sense to include ONE stand pose like that in a pack along WITH stuff like standing there doing stuff (holding a clipboard, say), or include ONE sit pose like that along WITH several of them sitting there doing stuff (reading a book at a table, say).  There can still be plenty of variation in the generally-standing-there-upright pose and in the generally-sitting-there pose, though, to make it more than just the instance of someone loading the T-pose and then adjusting the upper arm angles down to mostly vertical, for the stand pose, or then adjusting the thighs to level and the lower legs down to vertical to make a sit pose.