The Orville for DAZ Studio

A new freebie has been added to Vanishing Point: the Orville, from the FOX TV show "The Orville".

* DAZ Studio prop: dsf, duf/ png, with 110,476 polygons.
* Not scaled to the size of the Poser/ DAZ figures.
* No moving parts.
* One texture map with the name of the ship.
* All of the materials use Iray shaders.

Original model by Chris Kuhn and converted with his permission.

(The model is also available as a Poser figure file.)

OrvilleDS1_800.jpg
800 x 800 - 205K

Comments

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582

(The model is also available as a Poser figure file.)

Thanks for remembering us "old farts". wink

Sincerely,

Bill

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

I think I just squee'd.  

Well, now I have something to visualise my bridge model in. Renders nice and quickly, too, although the default material setup is a bit too polished-waxed-shiny and plastic-like for my taste. On the gripping hand, it does look a lot better with a bit of bloom applied. I just wish I knew a bit more what I'm doing with the bloom parameters...

Anything similar in the pipeline? Maybe that goofy-looking shuttle?

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

Ooo Oooo!  Nice! Thank you for this! smiley

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957

I think this very cool. Thank you so much!

• There's no worry about "remembering us old farts" Poser users: my workflow is to create the Poser version first, then load it into DAZ Studio and apply Iray shaders and save it as a dsf/ duf file. So I'll always make Poser versions. smiley

As for what's next in the pipeline: probably more conversions of the excellent models by Chris Kuhn. He hasn't made an Orville shuttle yet, but he has some Star Trek: Discovery models, including the Discovery, Shenzou, and Discovery-Enterprise. I apologize in advance if this starts a long argument about whether Star Trek: Discovery is good or bad. laugh

P.S. If you make sci-fi renders, you can probably join the 3D Sci-Fi Renders group on Facebook. This is where Chris Kuhn posts work-in-progress images of his models and every-so-often asks members to vote on his model... the most recent vote was for the Orville.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,250

I considered joining that group, but I'm not a fan of anything that doesn't allow critical discussion. 

Just taking the model for a test drive...

Warpship_Orville_Gliese2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 199K

Semi OT, but good news for fans of the show.

The Orville is officially renewed for Season 3!!!  Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter have both broken the story today (5/11/2019), and Tom Costantino (one of the show producers) has confirmed it via his twitter.

Thanks again for the model Vanishing Point peeps!

Now all we need is more Orville related models...

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    edited May 2019

Nice! Although I'll admit I haven't watched season 2 yet, but I'm getting around to it.

My Orville is one I found on Sketchup I think. I'm going to have to try the Vanishing Point one.

The Orville entering space dock

Orville Space Dock 01.jpg.denoised.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 457K
    Post edited by Kitsumo on
  • LintonLinton Posts: 541

Really appreciate the work you and Chris Kuhn do. I have the Orville and the Star Wars models from you, and love them all.