July 5th the day a nation recovers from hangover

AlbiejeeAlbiejee Posts: 153
edited December 1969 in The Commons

No new items today?
Anything happening south of the 49th today?

What is your day after story?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,860
    edited December 1969

I am in Australia
    we are still a Monarchy
    but at least we get to play in the Commonwealth games.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

I didn't get a hangover... had some nice whiskey though... no rum where I went... I still have most of the fingers and appendages I had when I last checked... I think... I didn't actually count, which given my propensity for disaster and mayhem,I really aught to do more often.
    I don't see any bloody gauze or blood trails... so I'm probably doing alright.
    The 4th around here seemed very subdued... a lot of quite BBQs... nothing crazy.
    Sigh.
    Oh well, you can't expect everyone to want to raise hell forever.
    I hope everyone had a good time.

• AlbiejeeAlbiejee Posts: 153
    edited December 1969

I am in Australia
    we are still a Monarchy
    but at least we get to play in the Commonwealth games.

I'm a Canuck and fellow Commonwealther. It seems like Americans put more celebration into their July 4th holiday than we do for our
    July 1st (Canada Day) Holiday. Honestly I don't know the History so well....but seems like the big celebration is about getting out of the Commonwealth :O

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

It's a little more than that. July 4th is Independence day for the US. They celebrate the end of the revolutionary war tha forcedt the UK and Europe to recognise the independence of the US as a nation rather than it being a colony.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

I think they somehow celebrated that here in sweden too... some of my neighbors or some tourists (no idea which to be honest) had a MAJOR party going on osmewhere nearby, they didnt' stop until around 4 this morning ... and I could finally sleep *sips yet another cup of coffee to stay awake*

I do hope that celebrations were fine and that you guys had fun *smiles*

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

It's a day many Americans like to forget that without outside help from France and the Iroquois nation we'd be flying the Union Jack right now.

Happy belated USA.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    It's a little more than that. July 4th is Independence day for the US. They celebrate the end of the revolutionary war tha forcedt the UK and Europe to recognise the independence of the US as a nation rather than it being a colony.

Wow that explanation just got my mind swirling about the power of words and imagery. The forming of the two Countries - Canada and USA. Same relevant time period - neither was formed without some form of conflict.
    Just analyzing the names of the two Countries and their respective "birthday celebrations" makes me wonder how the simple words have effected the ideals and impressions of the people.

Canada - translated --- the village --- Birthday celebration --- Canada Day.

United States of America ----. Birthday celebration --- Independence Day.

Canada day to me is just Canada's birthday. I don't think about what happened to make it a country.
    Calling it independence day keeps the reminder of what it took to make the country.

Makes me think what if we chose different names, how would that have shaped us as a Country?

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

leifgl said:
    No new items today?

I'm hoping-against-hope for a big sale on Japanese-themed items on Sunday... you know, Tanabata.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Just analyzing the names of the two Countries and their respective "birthday celebrations" makes me wonder how the simple words have effected the ideals and impressions of the people.

Canada day to me is just Canada's birthday. I don't think about what happened to make it a country.

Well, we used to call it Dominion Day, but somebody decided that was too colonialist...
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    leifgl said:
    No new items today?

I'm hoping-against-hope for a big sale on Japanese-themed items on Sunday... you know, Tanabata.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Well, we used to call it Dominion Day, but somebody decided that was too colonialist...

Yes! The power of words.

If we still called it Dominion Day I would think about it being the day that "marks the joining of the British North American colonies of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and the Province of Canada into a federation of four provinces" (stolen from Wikipedia)

I'm from Saskatchewan so we weren't a part of that Dominion for another 38 years....hehe