From Carrara to Resolve Aspect 3DAGE?

I have used Resolve 15 to make a video file from sequenced PNG files but it has black bars on the sides. How can I not produce those. Can't find a setting in Resolve that will match the aspect ratios. Help?

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI  Hrpschrd :)

There should be an option to change the frame size,. but i can't get it to play nice,. i tried using a couple of 640x480 renders,. and no matter how i set it up, it still comes out with bookends with the video shrunk a little..

the options i'm setting are,.

Edit mode / Timeline / Output blanking,. this should be 1.33 for square video (640x480),. but,.. to my mind, a 640x480 clip should NOT need blanking if it's being exported at the same 640x480 size.

In Deliver mode: you can set the output frame size by selecting "Custom" and then typing in the size EH: 640x480

that all looks correct on paper,. but the output clip still has these black bookends.

It seems that  the easiest option (until someone figures it out) would be to re-render your sequence from carrara as 1280x720.

and run that through Resolve.

edited May 2018

Got it.

Go to FILE/ Project settings.

In the "master settings"  set the size to 640 480 , square and set the video monitoring to PAL

in the "Image scaling" set it to stretch to all corners,. or scale image to fit,. both should work.

ok that, and kick out your clip,. that should be at 640x480 with no black pillarbox.

Pics

click for big

settings1.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 270K
    settings2.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 261K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • Luftsturmregiment40Luftsturmregiment40 Posts: 328
    edited May 2018

edit

input.png
    487 x 364 - 169K
    stretched.png
    540 x 369 - 197K
    settings.png
    1370 x 862 - 295K
    Post edited by Luftsturmregiment40 on
  • 3DAGE said:

Got it.

Go to FILE/ Project settings.

In the "master settings"  set the size to 640 480 , square and set the video monitoring to PAL

in the "Image scaling" set it to stretch to all corners,. or scale image to fit,. both should work.

ok that, and kick out your clip,. that should be at 640x480 with no black pillarbox.

Pics

click for big

when loading it looks like picture input?

set it to stretch to all corners would stretch the frame and wouldn't fix the aspect ratio (picture: stretch) instead Scale full frame with crop ?

in the settings I would choose resolution original media, video monitoring PAL, Output scaling: untick match timeline scaling and choose custom 640 x 480 Square, Timeline Output Blanking 1.33

the result looks then like last screenshot attached

I don't know why this is such a hassle in DaVinci (probably because nobody is shooting in 4:3 anymore)

result.png
    1291 x 501 - 786K
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

I know it's kind of obvious, but to get 3:4 to 16:9, you either have to stretch (distort), or zoom (clip), or surrender to some letter-box framing. I wish math wasn't so brutal! (you could do a mix of the preceding techniques as well)

How hard would it be to re-render your originals with a 16x9 ratio of some sort? That would be the cleanest 'wysiwig' approach if at all possible.

--ms

The problem Hrpschrd had was that he had rendered out a sequence at 640x480 and the issue was finding where within Resolve the settings were to export a straight in/out clip at 640x480

this seems like a really easy thing  to do,. load clip , set output, render.

not so simple in resolve,. you need to jump through hoops to find the settings to make it 640x480 without being exported in 16:9 with black pillarboxes. (it's default setting)

As Seegson mentions,. it's a hassle probably because everyone has moved onto 16:9

resolve takes the 640 clip and exports a video which is 640x480 but,.. the original clip is shrunk in the frame, and pillarboxes are added at the sides,.

the problem was figuring out How to bypass a preset template option.

In After effect,. it's a much more straight forward process,. load sequence, create Comp ,.add to Queue, Render.

Resolve seems to have a UI which is designed for the "easy to use" generation,. with big thumbnail's  and a simplistic workflow split into "easy" sections.along with preset's.

while the real options and tools are harder to find.

Re rendering the sequence is definitely the best option,, and fortunately in this case the clip renders quickly at1280x720 (about 4 min's for 10 sec's of animation) using octane.

and not much slower using carrara's default renderer.

In doing that i've noticed a few issues with the original scene,. but i don't know if Hrpscrd has already changed stuff,.. anyway..

one issue was in the render settings,. it's using Sky light, in the global illumination options. which will take longer per frame,.. and isn't needed in the scene.

disabling the sky light speeds up the rendering.

another issue is the camera focus on the animation,. the camera position and framing needs a bit of adjustment to fit all the animation into the screen space

Adding a 640x480 clip to resolve,. and getting out a 640x480 clip where there are pilarbox ends and the clip has been squished to fit that preset template,. doesn't make any sense to me,. and if the original clip is being squished, it seemed the reverse  of stretch to fit (stretching a 640x480 sequence to fit a 640x480 output) ,. should have no real effect on the video

there's no real stretching going on,. but it works in resolve to get rid of the pillarbox ends.

Thanks for all the help, info and thinkings

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    3DAGE said:

The problem Hrpschrd had was that he had rendered out a sequence at 640x480 and the issue was finding where within Resolve the settings were to export a straight in/out clip at 640x480

this seems like a really easy thing  to do,. load clip , set output, render.

not so simple in resolve,.

Thanks for all the help, info and thinkings

wow, to my thinking, that's actually pretty messed up.

FWIW, I've seen many references to a 'non-square-pixel' setting in many video-file headers, where the pixel resolution may imply a geometric shape (e.g. 3:4), but the rendering playback engine is told to assume the pixels aren't square, and the result is an unstretched image playback ratio that differs from the actual pixel ratio. I wonder if resolve is *so* sophisticated that it expects that setting to be adjusted in addition to the normal pixel aspect settings. It just *can't* be unable to do what we're asking of it.

I may have to install that beast and puzzle along with you guys.

--ms