Big problem, my render is transparent ?

Hello !

i have a little problem with Daz i will explain, i put a background image in the environnment panel set to "backdrop", i've choosen my image in my comp, i posed my daz character how i wanted, added a camera and a spot light and deleted the light from the camera, then i removed my backdrop image so i setted it to "none" (i needed it just to pose my character) and when i started to render i got a transparent render, i mean it's not black, it's transparent)

it's probably a problem because i used the backdrop image, but i don't know what + i setted it back to none so i don't understand.

thank you for your help !

Comments

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

When the backdrop is set to "none", you will create an image that only contains your 3D content. The other areas are left transparent on purpose so that you can layer your rendered image over a backdrop using a 2D application like Photoshop or GIMP. Be sure to save it as a PNG (default) so that you maintain the transparency.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849

You mean the background is tansparent (intended behaviour) or that the whole image is transparent (issue with Iray, or the Iray Uber base shader, or just impossible settings - in any event, going to the Surfaces pane and changing the SSS Type to Mono (instead of Chromatic) for the afecte areas should clear that up).

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

Are you rendering in Iray, or another render enging like OpenGL? There was a similar error message a couple of days ago: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/250521/open-gl-render-hairs#latest

• thank you for your reply everyone,

i wanted to say, i set the background to "none" on purpose, i just wanted my character to appear, but the problem is that i don't see my character in the rendering, it's a complete transparent render without any object :(

i am rendering on iray

1. Tools>Surface Selection Tool
    2. Click on an area of skin
    3. Right-click in the same spot>Select Surfaces with the Value Of..
    4. Scroll to find SSS Mode, click on it, and click Accept
    5. Window>Panes(Tabs)>Surfaces, go to the pane's Editor tab
    6. Scroll or filter to find the SSS Mode entry, click its button, and select Mono

• Thank you richard i tried what you said and there are 2 things that i don't have, at the step 4 when i have to choose SSS mode, i don't have it, i only have : "pre SSS - post SSS" and "SS material type"

and then at the step 6 in the editor tab, i don't have SSS mode entry, i only have : "ambiant SSS contribution" and "pre SSS - post SSS".

Ah, so it isn't the same issue  -what you have is a figure with the 3Delight SSS shader, though it's possible it is getting Chromatic SSS added after conversion - try selecting a skin surface as above, then in the Presets tab of the Surfaces pane under Shaders>Iray apply the Iray Uber Base, then switch to the pane's Editor tab and see which SSS Mode is being used.

• beignetpommebeignetpomme Posts: 40
    edited May 2018

i applied the iray uber base and went to editor tab to check as you asked and the SSS mode is setted on Mono, i tried to render again, and same it's full transparent, no character

weirdly the render is take a bit of time, it's like it's rendering something but i can't see it.

EDIT : OK i am SO stupid and i'm very sorry, i checked again and it was because the render of my image is SO big, i scrolled down and my character is at the bottom of the screen that's why i didn't see it... xD

thank you again for your help

Post edited by beignetpomme on

Are you sure it's all transparent? Or is some of it black? Try laying the rendered PNG over something else and make sure it's all missing. It could be a lighting problem making stuff look black with a transparent background?

• i just edited my previous message about my crazy stupidity, it was because the render was so BIG, i scrolled down to the bottom of the render and my character appeared... xD

i am very sorry !

Heh, I fooled myself like that after forgetting the render size had been set larger than usual.

Been there. Done that. Glad it wasn't more complicated. :)

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690

Hi, I was setting up a scene today, with products I've used before--they rendered as transparent. I usually use PNG for transparent background.  I checked SSS setting, it was Mono. Then I checked all my render settings, and saw I did not have the default HDRI loaded. I think this was because I used a backdrop yesterday, but when I deleted the backdrop, the envrionment tab did not reset the HDRI in the Render Settings when I opened DAZ. I browsed for the default HDRI, "Ruins", and ran a test render. It restored the opacity of my figure and props. Just my experience, hope it helps.