Baffled by lighting under a skydome

Hi all,

I'm a bit baffled at the moment, I'm in Daz 4.10pro and I'm trying to build a scene using one of the handfull of skydomes that I have but no matter which one I use, I'm having the same problem which is that none of the other light sources I want to use to illuminate the scene, have any effect in the actual Iray render.

Doesn't matter how high I drive the lumen value or change the tone mapping variables, the only light seems to be derived from the skydome. I can brighten the scene by changing the value of the skydome emitter lumens but the distant lights I want to use for example, have absolutely no effect in the render.

If I turn the skydome off completely, the distant lights work perfectly, so there is a conflict between those two elements of the scene.

The further test of rendering the scene in 3Delight confirms this as the image has rendered well.

I can see the effects of the additional lights on the preview screen but Iray just doesn't render with them.

There's a setting somewhere for this, but I have absolutely no idea where it is.

Thanks in advance,

G

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,039

If you want to use the skydome image as a backdrop you can use it in the Environment Map of the Iray dome. The Skydome can then be deleted and you will then get light from the distant light in the scene. The Skydome is a prop and will stop any light that is outside it.

If you want to use the skydome image as a backdrop you can use it in the Environment Map of the Iray dome. The Skydome can then be deleted and you will then get light from the distant light in the scene. The Skydome is a prop and will stop any light that is outside it.

• geoff6geoff6 Posts: 248

And there you have it! Problem solved, everything all working nicely.

Thank you Fishtales, you are the man of the hour.

G

You're welcome :)

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Alternatively, there's no need for a "distant light" when rendering with a HDRI in Iray. Use a spotlight on point light to highlight any specific area/figures.

Older 3DL skydomes will block light when rendering in Iray.

I use distant lights quite a lot with HDRI usually as a fill light as it has falloff over distance which softens shadows. I use them in other ways too but that depends on the image I am using in the Iray Dome.

• If you must have a sunlight in addition to the hdri image, use a spotlight put way out at the edge of the dome (not outside, make sure it's inside the dome) and crank up the lumins and it will light your scene. Point the light at a null to for easy control.