Snow cones

How about snow cones and summer fair food

Comments

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

"Snow cones"?

Is that the scrubs of water ice flavoured with some (more or less artificial) fruit flavors?

Hereabout we don't have those, probably due to the many italian ice parlours everywhere, so I just can guess you mean something I've seen in a movie or TV show..

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited May 2018

Yes. Snow cones. We don’t have posh Italian ice parlors in my neck of the wood. wink

F861FA1D-C677-429E-B10D-ECF252165D6D.jpeg
    1484 x 1203 - 163K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Haha, I've not seen a snow cone since I was 7 years old in downtown Chicago. The teenager across the street used to sell them for I think a quarter a piece but thining about it now a quarter was outrageous expensive for a snow cone. It must of been a nickel.

edited May 2018

Yes. Fun. And those popsicles which are red white and blue..

I have popsicles sold here, but snow cones and other messy summer food would be fun...  I love food props.

Yes. Fun. And those popsicles which are red white and blue..

I have popsicles sold here, but snow cones and other messy summer food would be fun...  I love food props.

Those are your best scenes I think...

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,325

Here are some free friozen treats including a snow cone: http://www.sharecg.com/v/33586 (Bryce but also includes obj files which can be imported to DS)

Here are some free friozen treats including a snow cone: http://www.sharecg.com/v/33586 (Bryce but also includes obj files which can be imported to DS)

Thanks.

Yes. Snow cones. We don’t have posh Italian ice parlors in my neck of the wood. wink

Here in Germany we have loads of italians everywhere. Back in the late '50s/'60s they were invited to come as "Gastarbeiter" (Guestworkers... interesting term somehow..) because the industry couldn't find enough german people to work for them (due to those 1000 years from 1933 to 1945 and all those young men going to foreign countries for very dumb reasons and not returning).
    A couple years later - after also people from several other countries were asked to work in Germany - the industry didn't need many of them anymore. Many went home, but quite a few staid in Germany, either to work in different jobs or to open Pizza Parlours, Italian restaurants or Ice creme parlours.

I guess it's safe to say that the first contact with ice creme cones made by most germans born in the '60s or later was made in an italian ice cream parlour.

And of course it helps a lot, that italy is just around the corner wink

edited May 2018

Very interesting! Its not popular here, although of course, pizza is hugely popular. I live in central. california which has more of a fishing and agricultural focus. We are not LA, and we are not San Francisco- We are the regular working class folks.

Even regular ice cream places are closing their doors around here. Most people prefer buying icecream at the store and coffee shops tend to get the business of ordinary citizens for their frappuccino and lattes and shake-like drinks.

Restaurants, like clothing, malls, subdivisions, cities, and so on are totally faddish. Know that and accept the shame of being uncool, LOL, and save massive amounts of money and work hours. When I lived in Switzerland there were many Italians there and other nationalities there too but it had nothing to do with war and everything about getting workers cheaper than they could native Swiss and also not have to pay for the decades of schooling in the appropriate topics. One of the things I did while there was train native Swiss and other nationalities to do IT skills that weren't degreed in IT to save the bank money. It is true that as long asa everything went right that the IT workers didn't need most of their skills but it also meant that every time a problem happened or something needed to be done otherside the narrow 9 - 5 script they non-IT workers were given I and other in similar situations like me had to stay work late and work weekends to do that unusual work. It is the same in the US and other countries too.

Switzerland is special... and not only because those ~ 8.4 millions swiss people use four (!) different "official" languages - french, italian, german and bündnerromanic - and many regional dialects. Makes it kinda easy for italians, french and germans to work there, if they get a job in that part of Switzerland where their mothertongue is also spoken by most people living there.

Sitting right in the middle between Italy, Germany and France and being kinda isolationistic - and not part of the EU - foreigners need to apply for special licenses to work there, which are only given for quite limited amount of times - 6 months or so, usually.
    In certain jobs, there are many foreigners working in Switzerland, especially in restaurants and many of the jobs having to do with tourism. Doing a time in a hotel kitchen in Switzerland is something many cooks from the neighbouring countries want to do, as a) the pay is higher than in their homelands, b) they get a chance to work with people from other countries and enrich their experiences on the job and c) it looks good in your résumé / curriculum vitae when you apply for a job in your home country (or anywhere else).

@Serena Night

I was born and live for ~45 years in Braunschweig (Brunswick to people speaking english) which has in it's neighbourhood steelworking industry and Volkswagen. And a couple km/miles to the north, there's still a lot of agriculture going on. Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) is afaik the largest producer of potatoes in Germany. Along with other stuff, like sugar made from sugar beets and different grains..
    But all those gastarbeiters were working in the steel and car industry.

Nowadays I live in a small "city" (though it's more a village with it's about 2800 inhabitants) about 10 km / 6 miles from Würzburg. There's some industry around here, too, but nothing as big as Volkswagen or Salzgitter Steel. And there is lots of agriculture around here, with wine being the main product.
    So, after living in a city with 250,000 inhabitants now living in this small village feels quite rural, too, but Würzburg - also ~250,000 inhabitants - is only a 30 minute busride away. Compared to the USA living in Germany probably is more concensed... more population per acre, I guess, with rural/agricultural regions between the larger cities, but close enough for people to live "out in the country" and work in the city.
    So even the "working class people" here had a lot of contact with those gastarbeiters and their children (who often preferred to stay here, where they were born and grew up) and with the kitchen of the neighbouring and quite a few more far away countries.
    They buy ice in the supermarket, too, to be eaten at home. But when going on a shopping tour they enjoy their italian ice, turkish döner kebab, pizza/pasta/whatever the italian restaurant has to offer or more exotic stuff from indian restaurants or McDonalds...

When I still worked as a cook in the 1980's I did some time in a restaurant whose owner was greek and with an italian cook at my side. The kitchen help who did the cleaning and stuff came from turkey... We offered a mixed menu with greek, italian and german meals, with some stuff put in that once originated in france, but then was served probably all over europe.

With germany kinda lying in the middle of europe, there was a lot of outside influence done to the german cuisine, which probably explains why about everybody here has little restrictions or predjudices against foreign dishes. As long as they are tasty. wink

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487

If you ever get to Hawaii there's shave ice. They shave ice into a very fine ice that is about like snow.  The flavorings are absorved by the ice rather than surronded it.  Many of the stands have local flavors like mango, kiwi, coconut, passion fruit etc.  You usually get several flavors in a paper cone and sometimes on vanilla ice cream or a bean paste (which turns out to be really good).  

Way better than Italian ice, but I've only seen it in Hawaii.

Way better than Italian ice, but I've only seen it in Hawaii.

Have you ever eaten italian ice in italy or just variants of it in other parts of the world? Because for my taste a water ice with fruit juice will never get even close enough to compare with an ice made from organic milk and creme, with non-artificial flavors but usually the pulp and/or juice of fresh fruits.
    It's a bit like comparing a coffeemaker at starbucks with an  italian barista - in the end, he delivers something kinda alike the real product, but no real italian barista would ever agree to sell something like it... just a tidbit: until now, there is no (none, zero..) starbucks in italy...we got a couple in germany, but they are usually frequented by hippsters and people who want to be seens as en vogue... and who don't care much about how the coffee they get tastes and what it costs...

Did you know btw that Mangos are from India and Borneo, the Kiwi is from China and the Passionfruit is from South America? And that the method to shave water ice into this snowy product, which then is flavoured with natural fruit juices was invented by the Roman in pre christian times? So... in the end.... even that ice from Hawaii is "italian ice" wink

• I feel as if I just sat through an episode of Connections.  :D :D

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822

I see a sphere, a skinny torus and a cone primitve with the base edited using the geometry tool

There is a difference between desserts made with cream and desserts made without dairy. I'm talking about snowcones, which don't have dairy. Thanks.

edited May 2018

I've have italian ice, shaved ice (it's available at more places than Hawaii), and snowcones but I like snowcones best. As a vegetarian who can't afford those silly prices style conscious vegetarians pay, even at WalMart, for a pint of non-dairy ice cream that has the consistencey of a block of ice and not much better flavor than a block of ice, I make my own ice cream through using soymilk, soy lecithin, xanthan or guar or arabic gum, agar agar, and olive oil, adding the flavoring ingredients as the mood suits me. It's the olive oil that is key to getting a flavor and consistancy more like real ice cream.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

I like them because they are visually appealing and bright and remind me of summer. 

th3Digit said:

I see a sphere, a skinny torus and a cone primitve with the base edited using the geometry tool

Don't forget the texture for the cone and the editing needed to give the sphere different material zones for the different colours.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822
    th3Digit said:

Don't forget the texture for the cone and the editing needed to give the sphere different material zones for the different colours.

wouldn't each be one map? a stripey one for the ice and a bump and displacement map with ice shader?

I believe there are some refrigerators that actually can make ice like in those snow cones!

• The spherical part would ideally need to be morphable, as the person eats more and more of it, but also to give it a more uneven shape at the start before it begins being eaten, since you can clearly see in the picture its ever so slightly mis-shapen from being an actual sphere.

The spherical part would ideally need to be morphable, as the person eats more and more of it, but also to give it a more uneven shape at the start before it begins being eaten, since you can clearly see in the picture its ever so slightly mis-shapen from being an actual sphere.

Hmm... push/pull modifier to achieve this? Or using a high poly sphere, then cut out some polygons with the geometry tool?

• mal3Imagerymal3Imagery Posts: 709
    edited May 2018

Serene if you still need the snow cone PM me.  I made it quickly in blender.  You'll have to setup the materials in Daz though.

SnowCone.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 74K
    Post edited by mal3Imagery on

Oh amazing job on that. I sent you an im message with my email.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

Share the love, please! :)

awesome

RKane_1 PM me and I'll send you link.

Oh amazing job on that. I sent you an im message with my email.

Check your PM.

The snowcones look so good! I downloaded them and you did an amazing job. They look real. Thanks so much! I'm working on a couple poses to hopefully do them justice!