May 2018 - Daz3D New User Challenge: Action & Props

Comments

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358
    edited May 2018
    seegsons said:
    Noswen said:

Initial concept picture from me for the month, just to get the idea down and started, no real work done on it yet.

The amount of texture memory this scene is consuming with just two figures and an environment is horrifying! surprise

is this DAZ Studio?

just a guess... maybe the memory footprint is unusually high because of normalmaps, bumpmaps or extensive geometry subdivisions and smoothing ?

Yes, this is in Daz. I'm not really sure how to check any of that sadly, but I took the method of delete objects to find out what it is. Ruled out the environment as that's about 1GB, the female fairy (plus outfit) comes to around 6GB and the male fairy (plus outfit) comes to around 7GB. I've not done anything special with these, just loaded them and set the material.

New version which has the posing sorted out below so they're interacting, now trying to run dForce but it's exploded the graphics card drivers sad. May also need to change the material on the weapons as the stone behind them makes them a bit too difficult to see.

Fairy Small Battle 2.jpg
    618 x 1000 - 257K
    Post edited by Noswen on

@seegsons: Really nice render!

@70xploitation: That's pretty cool, looked at the thread for that thing, but never too closely.

@Tangled up with Ink: Nice start, especially for having only started doing renders in February! smiley

@atacit_23cd333971: Interesting sene, the extra clutter helps make it look busier which works for this.

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    Noswen said:
    seegsons said:
    Noswen said:

Initial concept picture from me for the month, just to get the idea down and started, no real work done on it yet.

The amount of texture memory this scene is consuming with just two figures and an environment is horrifying! surprise

is this DAZ Studio?

just a guess... maybe the memory footprint is unusually high because of normalmaps, bumpmaps or extensive geometry subdivisions and smoothing ?

Yes, this is in Daz. I'm not really sure how to check any of that sadly, but I took the method of delete objects to find out what it is. Ruled out the environment as that's about 1GB, the female fairy (plus outfit) comes to around 6GB and the male fairy (plus outfit) comes to around 7GB. I've not done anything special with these, just loaded them and set the material.

New version which has the posing sorted out below so they're interacting, now trying to run dForce but it's exploded the graphics card drivers sad. May also need to change the material on the weapons as the stone behind them makes them a bit too difficult to see.

Looks good so far. Don't know what to say about the memory usage or Dforce though. Only advice for the female fairy would be to check if her skirt has any morphs to help with movement incase you can't get Dforce working on it to help with poke-though.

edited May 2018

Ok, by turning off Start Bones From Memorized Pose it didn't crash though it did still have some poke-through, messing around with the rotations and translations on parts of the rigging has gotten it to a reasonable state. Wouldn't have posted my last picture so soon if I'd realised I'd get this sorted today still blush.

Fairy Small Battle 3.jpg
    618 x 1000 - 256K
    Post edited by Noswen on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Second swing at this. I pulled the camera back and added some more stuff as advised. I found a news paper I could edit in Photoshop and some pigeons and a few rats for flavor. I did buy a couple things at the store and had to use them, lol. So one gangster got new pants. The mom pulling her child along in the back ground sorta torpedoed me though. I worked on them separately then merged them. Evidently a bad idea the way I did it as it goofed up all my settings and the light washed out most of the detail after the merge. I had to reset almost everything that had to do with lighting. Still wondering why that happened?

I was thinking of adding some graffiti on the back wall with Photoshop but sorta on the fence on that idea?

I like the addition of the Mom pulling her child along in the background. 

A suggestion to all new users is to save multiple versions of a scene.  Especially when you are adding something new or changing settings.

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957
    edited May 2018

Some great pics already submitted. I really cannot offer much beyond what others have already pointed out. So many new people, and so few of those I'm used to seeing. Please give me some feedback--just try to keep it constructive. I always welcome the feedback of others, even if I don't incorporate it every time.

Here's my first iteration. I already see some things I'm going to change, but I'd love to hear from someone else. Since I knew this wouldn't be worthy of full quality, I just went far enough to get most of the main detail visible. I will be adding blood splatter to the forehead of the zombie in back to make it more clear that she's been shot in the head. I'm not sure about the positioning of the light bulb--I like the light it gives to the foreground of the scene, I also wanted it to move as a result of the door hitting against it, but it obscures an important point in the scene where the focus of the conflict seems to be greatest. It hangs to a realistic height if you could see the floor. It looks so big because it's swinging toward the camera and is out in front of the people (it's shining down on the file cabinets).The file folders in the top drawer have not slid all the way forward because I'm trying to depict the action in the scene with implied motion, but I'm afraid it just looks like I didn't notice their position so I may change that. The glass window is shattered from the gunfire/bullet, but it's not very visible because I stopped it so early. Info on my process for the paper used in scene is in my art studio thread.

Please, I'm seeking the opinions of others on this. Thank you. 

ActionPropTest1.jpg
    4500 x 3000 - 2M
    Post edited by Wanderer on
  • Thanks for the input all and the laugh seegsons, I guess I am getting a little Vice City with this one. Kismet speaks wisdom, man the suffering of not having another version after doing that merge. I won't be making that mistake again.

Any advice on lighting? I am presently lighting this whole thing with UberEnvironment2 only. I guess it works.

• @Wanderer, first off great start. Big fan of the subject matter and is that a gigantic fist I see coming through the door? I can't really speak to the technical end of the work (just a beginner) all I could add is maybe put in some recoil from her double fisting those pistols, that would add to the scene methinks. 

Now lets hope that is the office of the IRS that has my tax returns! Damn Zombie government workers, undead with a great health plan..will not stay dead.

@atacit_23cd333971 - Thanks for the input. I was concerned about the timing, but I think you're right. I need to show the kick of the guns, at least a little. I'm not sure how much would work, but will look at more images/videos to get a better sense of it. Yeah, that fist belongs to the infamous undead fiend. His hands are actually that size without modification. I was inspired by Frazetta to do a scrambling horde, and wanted something extra bringing up the rear. Thought maybe he'd smash the door in and let them scramble over it. Breaking the door would be great, but right now I'm happy I got this far. I'm not sure I could do the door justice modeling it, so if anyone knows a source for a splintered door, that'd be huge. Heh, zombie government workers... that would explain a lot. I need to be careful about changes though--the scene just barely fits in my VRAM as is. Just. barely.

I'm not sure about lighting suggestions. I tend to use HDR's or sun-sky in Iray. When I saw the lady's foot connecting, I got a chuckle from your image. I do think something on that back wall could be lovely, but it depends. Your scene has a lot of action, so it wouldn't need to be busy--maybe even shouldn't be. But done right, I think it could improve the work, especially if you could come up with something relevant to the scene.

Thanks for the input all and the laugh seegsons, I guess I am getting a little Vice City with this one. Kismet speaks wisdom, man the suffering of not having another version after doing that merge. I won't be making that mistake again.

Any advice on lighting? I am presently lighting this whole thing with UberEnvironment2 only. I guess it works.

Version F of my render here. After seeing Wanderer's last render I decided that my spellcaster needed some backup in case she couldn't use her magic for one reason or another. (Say she's in too tight an area and she'd be effected as well by splash damage.)

may2018f.png
    1072 x 750 - 1M
    edited May 2018

Hey Shinji - yeah, Lorien could definitely use some backup. But I'd never get another figure into the VRAM--even though I'm sure I could squeak one in somewhere. I like the addition of the backup figure. I wonder if you might add a little touch of light or color to bring the figure's head out of the dark background there. Also, I like the spent casings on the floor, but maybe you could scatter them a bit more? Since I'm one of the first on the scene, I'm trying to be helpful.

@Noswen - I do like your work. Maybe a light could glint off the weapons to help them stand out more? I learned a really simple trick to help me position lights in Iray for a nice glint/glimmer effect--If you place a bright light by the camera, then place a surface to catch the reflection which should be visible if you're using a bright light, you just reverse the position. Place the bright light near the reflection and it should be visible bouncing off the weapon to the camera. I can try to spell this out in more detail on my thread if anyone is interested. Only one thing otherwise that bugs me--and this maybe just me, but I didn't realize at first the scale. I thought the round disk was just something I wasn't understanding, and it was--a coin, right? If you could put any details on it to help make clear it's a coin that would make it better to me. If it isn't a coin, just ignore me. Correction, after second look, I do see details on coin's face but maybe you could get them to stand out more? Just a thought. Maybe lighting could help there as well?

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    edited March 2021

• Selina said:

..I was thinking of adding some graffiti on the back wall.

No, I wouldn't add anything to the wall just crop the image down so there's less of it and bring our attention more into the action on the pavement as I found my eyes rising up - probably due to the horizontal lines of the road, the kerb, the pavement, the black and then the bricks. With the image cropped my eyes won't travel so far. Also have a think about introducing shadow on the wall to break up the horizontal lines or a subtle vignette in post.

Hope that's useful, Selina

ditto that

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648

So many cool entries this month and I have still no plan or inspiration, what I shall do.sad

Wanderer said:

Some great pics already submitted. I really cannot offer much beyond what others have already pointed out. So many new people, and so few of those I'm used to seeing. Please give me some feedback--just try to keep it constructive. I always welcome the feedback of others, even if I don't incorporate it every time.

Here's my first iteration. I already see some things I'm going to change, but I'd love to hear from someone else. Since I knew this wouldn't be worthy of full quality, I just went far enough to get most of the main detail visible. I will be adding blood splatter to the forehead of the zombie in back to make it more clear that she's been shot in the head. I'm not sure about the positioning of the light bulb--I like the light it gives to the foreground of the scene, I also wanted it to move as a result of the door hitting against it, but it obscures an important point in the scene where the focus of the conflict seems to be greatest. It hangs to a realistic height if you could see the floor. It looks so big because it's swinging toward the camera and is out in front of the people (it's shining down on the file cabinets).The file folders in the top drawer have not slid all the way forward because I'm trying to depict the action in the scene with implied motion, but I'm afraid it just looks like I didn't notice their position so I may change that. The glass window is shattered from the gunfire/bullet, but it's not very visible because I stopped it so early. Info on my process for the paper used in scene is in my art studio thread.

Please, I'm seeking the opinions of others on this. Thank you. 

First impressions are:  a zombie child is just creepy.

The drawers on the filing cabinet are okay the way they are but maybe rotate the filing cabinet slightly ( bring the closest back corner towards the camera ) so the drawers are pointed just a bit more towards the ground.

I am not into zombie movies, lore, tv shows, etc so I might be missing something.  I am not sure the purpose of the large hand.

Lots of action in this scene.

I am looking forward to seeing the next version.

daybird said:

So many cool entries this month and I have still no plan or inspiration, what I shall do.sad

I am with you @Daybird.  I haven't rendered an image in months.

Maybe just throw some props into a scene and see what happens.  Sometimes the hardest part is just getting started.

• dstuffledstuffle Posts: 38
    edited May 2018

I finally got a chance to make the most recent suggested changes (and added some smoke, because real battlefield pics I've seen always had some).  Any additional feedback would be appreciated

one less charle V6.jpg
    1800 x 1350 - 2M
    Post edited by dstuffle on
    Wanderer said:

Hey Shinji - yeah, Lorien could definitely use some backup. But I'd never get another figure into the VRAM--even though I'm sure I could squeak one in somewhere. I like the addition of the backup figure. I wonder if you might add a little touch of light or color to bring the figure's head out of the dark background there. Also, I like the spent casings on the floor, but maybe you could scatter them a bit more? Since I'm one of the first on the scene, I'm trying to be helpful.

@Wanderer, I'll have to see what I can do about the casings on the ground, they're a single prop without any morphs for that kind thing. If I counted them right it looks like there's about 18 casing in the prop, so maybe what I'll do is a little geometry editing to remove some of them and then create some instances of the resulting prop to move around the area some. At least create an instance or two of the prop and move them back in the direction the shooter's coming from to give an idea of fire and advance on his part.  Other then that I'll have to see what I can do to make him more visable.

Thanks for you feed back, and nice start that you have on your render this month. can't wait to see where you go with it.

edited March 2021

edited May 2018

I got a lot of really good feedback, but I've been working on what I already had to go on, so I'm going to answer the feedback along with some questions for the posters, then I'll share what I already did before I had a chance to read the more recent comments. I always welcome the feedback of others, even if I disagree. Criticism, whether positive, negative, or constructive, does not invalidate my vision, nor will it marginalize the viewer's opinion if I choose to go a different way. It simply is.

@Selina

Selina said:
    Wanderer said:

I always welcome the feedback of others, even if I don't incorporate it every time.

I love the image and the chaos therein...

First, thank you for the kind comments. And thank you for taking time to give me some things to consider. 

Selina said:

You say she's shooting the window and the front girl zombie; then you need to adjust her hand as from the angle shown she looks as though she has just shot the far zombie

No, no. I said she shot the zombie in the back, but no worries. The girl up front is the next target and where Lorien's eyes are now looking. 

Selina said:

and you need to have the shattered glass pieces flying away from the gun - as it is they are still aligned to the window frame.

Yeah. That's a good point, but (unfortunately) you cannot see how they are actually positioned. Even in my new shot it is hard to tell so I'm going to include a cropped screen showing the prop relative to the weapon. However, your opinion is still valid. I am as yet uncertain how I would fix this to make it more clear in frame. I'm open to suggestions. Perhaps I need a background object outside the window that will make the glass easier to see, or I could go with a dirtier or frosted shader on the glass. What do you think?

Selina said:

She's very good at shooting two subjects without even looking at either of them, what do you think?

People shoot in opposite directions all the time in the movies, so I'm not that concerned about this. The presence of zombies makes it clear that this image is not based entirely in reality. I also think it possible to fire without looking at a static target less than 2 feet from the end of a gun, such as the window, if all you're attempting to do is break the glass so you can escape. Her eye pose was not finished in the first iteration--as I said, it wasn't wrothy of a higher quality render time investment. Her eyes are now on the girl, which is her next target, so I feel that I addressed this concern. This character is experienced in killing zombies. She's also used to firing her pistols one-handedly, which you can see is possible with training in this video. Based on feedback I received earlier however, I did reposition the guns and hands to express some kick/recoil. I'm interested in hearing from others about this aspect of the image. What do you think of the new image below?

Selina said:

Now, the two pages at her feet - they are very straight and wind resistance would curl them as they fell, don't you agree?

Hmm... I'd say it depends on the thickness of the paper and whether it's been rumpled a bit already (which this paper has been), but your criticism is duly noted. I may exchange one or more of the papers to fall more in line with general perceptions about most common paper stock behaviors. 

Selina said:

The black around the window - what is it and should it just stop at the bottom as it does?

This lip is how the window appears from this angle. I believe it is a recessed niche, but in any case it's the way the prop came from the Daz store. I will gladly consider retexturing it, but no promises.

Selina said:

You probably think I'm being hyper-critical and you're right - that's because I think you're at a level to appreciate my simple observations.

I don't know if they are simple, but I do appreciate the matters you've given me pause to consider. Thank you.

Selina said:

I, for one, would be most interested to learn how to key light a prop as you propose to describe - sign me up!

Selina

"Key light" a prop? Is that what I'm doing? I had no idea. If you would like to see an example of a scene in which I discovered and used this process, please feel free to look at my thread here. On February 25, I posted an image utilizing this effect in two places. I stumbled into it by noticing that the glowing star prop I had hung created a well-lit area on the front wall of the temple. I placed a mirror there to take advantage of this position and create something to draw the eye that the camera could see. I then reasoned that I could cause light to glint off the blade behind the woman's back (a wonderful suggestion made by @Linwelly, by the way) by reverse-engineering a similar effect. So, partnering my main camera with an emissive prop, I then created another camera, spun it up and over to approximately where I thought the light at my main camera should be visible in the reflection on the shining blade's surface, then began looking for the glint--where I could see the light at my main camera reflecting off the blade from my new camera. Once the light was visible in my new camera, I partnered an emissive with the new camera so there would be something there to bounce light back down to the blade and toward my main camera, then switched back to my main. I could now see the new emissive light glimmering in the reflective surface of the blade. The rest is history. When I get the time, I'll try to put something more detailed with pictures up on my thread to demonstrate what I did, but I thought I'd give you the short version now. (Sorry if you're already reading this, but I've come back to edit this paragraph for clarity, which I realized it sorely needed.)

@Kismet2012 - Thank you for taking time to comment. Thank you for noting the creepy child--reason I put her front and center so as not to lose the impact. I need to carefully consider your suggestion about the filing cabinet. Here's an image showing them from another angle:

The idea behind this scene was that one file cabinet stood on either side of the door. When Lorien entered, she tipped the left one over first on its side to block the door, which it pressed up against fully. Then she tipped the right one over and it landed against the other cabinet at an angle. When the door was pushed in, the bottom cabinet began to slide out across the floor as shown. The other cabinet began to fall forward and is in the process of doing so now. The door is leaning against the two file cabinets. I'm trying to picture the result of the suggested change in my head--I'm just worried that I'll have to re-position the door and zombies (which was a lot of work actually). Give me time to think on this please. What do others think--should I shift the file cabinet position?

Okay--I wanted to use the Undead Fiend in this scene, even if only in the background. That is the actual, unaltered size of his fist. In undead video game tropes, there are a few big guys like this. In L4D2, they have the "tank" who is a giant freakazoid, hulking zombie. Originally I wanted him to push the door in, but I'm just as concerned about a hand that size open-palmed in scene. I might also attempt a shot with his head peeking through the opening. What is your opinion? What do others think? Would this be better without the Undead Fiend at all, with another pose, or with just his head showing?

Thank you again, Kismet. You've given me a lot of insight to consider on this.

@daybird - I took a clue from our posing monthly challenge and went image hunting. Once I found something that appealed to me, one of Frank Frazetta's horde images, I just went from there.

@dstuffle - I think you've made some great improvements. If I had anything to offer, it would be in increasing details. Perhaps one or both of the ak-47's could be firing, or perhaps she see the firing soldier, is looking at him directly, and begins to swivel her weapon toward him. Attempting to show bullet holes in the wall behind the figures might be a good project. Showing a bullet ricochet along the top of the near wall close to the soldier, with a little puff of dust, could help increase dramatic tension in the scene. All of these might make nice additions to your scene, but let the vision ultimately be your own. @Selina made a slightly similar-but-different suggestion, so I'll leave it there.

Shinji - Hope you see this in the chaos of this post. I think that sounds like an excellent idea for the casings. Waiting to see what's next. And thank you for the kind words.

Okay, sorry about the long-winded post again, but I got excellent feedback and wanted to spend time on it. Please, if you've read this, I'd love to hear more opinions about issues raised in this post. Finally, my second iteration--more changes will come, but I want to wait a little longer to get more feedback to review before I do the next pass. If you didn't read this because it's too long--I'm sorry and I totally understand.

This image took 7-1/2 hours and made it to 27% before I stopped it to share and request further feedback.

NotOverYet.jpg
    4500 x 3000 - 3M
    FileCabinets.jpg
    1349 x 759 - 183K
    WindowRecess.jpg
    595 x 492 - 43K
    BustedGlass.jpg
    423 x 332 - 27K

@Wanderer - I did not notice the other filing cabinet on the floor.  I thought it was just the one falling over.  You have to do what is correct for your image. 

In the past I have had something look odd from the camera's point of view but when I look at it from other angles it is correct and I am reluctant to change it.  I like the keep things as realistic as possible...even in fantasy images.

Keep the Fiend.  As I mentioned I am not into zombies and do not really have any background on them but anyone who is a fan of zombies will immediately know who he is just from that huge fist.

• @Wanderer the added cover to the lightbulb makes an incredible difference in the lighting and improves the mood.

You mentioned looking for a solution for a splintered door.Have you considered editing the texture to look splintered and create a transparency map to hide the broken portion of the door? If you added two instances of the door with the bottom portion hidden with a transparency map, you could give the illusion of one door split in two.

I'm enjoying watching your scene shape up!

Here's version g for this month. Made use of 4 instances of the casings prop that I shifted at rotated around the parent prop. Also added some damaged wires plus an instance of them hanging from the door mechanism to use the sparks to get some light on the second Shadowrunner.

may2018g.png
    1072 x 750 - 1M
  • DangerDetectiveDangerDetective Posts: 30
    edited May 2018

It's taken me a while to get my submission in order this month but here is the first draft.

TItle: Out of Her League

Software: Daz Studio 4.10

The background has beel intentionally left out, I'm torn between choosing a 1980's style arcade setting or mimicking the background from the level on the arcade machine screen. Also, the lighting will remain generic until I decide on a setting.

Feedback welcome. 

Out of Her League copy.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 644K
    Post edited by DangerDetective on
    edited May 2018

@Kismet2012 - Okay - that makes sense. If it was two posed figures, I think I could just use shift-Y to attempt to reverse their positions, but do you know of a way to simply swap the two file cabinets so the one laying down is in the front of the image and the other is in the rear? I don't want to have to repose them entirely, but maybe that's just being lazy and it wouldn't be so bad. I'm just wondering if I should've placed the one blocking more details to the rear of the scene, sort of like how I swapped the positioning of the girl zombie's arms so as to not obscure her face. Okay on the undead fiend, but now I'm concerned that it doesn't look as good as it might. I may try to do another iteration with his head poking through just to see if it looks better. If I can figure out a way to make it look good, I'll come back with an iteration of that. If you don't hear or see that in this thread, you'll know I couldn't do it justice.

@Night678winG - Whew! Okay, I was worried it'd be too dark, but I think if you view it at full-size or fullscreen it isn't so bad. Still, good to hear someone thinks it's an improvement. If you go back to the original and compare, you'll soon see that I added the shade/cover to get rid of the shadow of the muzzleflash on the wall behind. Apparently this is something that happens in Iray, and even altering the lighting settings did not entirely remove the shadow, only make it less obvious. The only way to completely get rid of the shadow of the muzzleflash, even though it's a light source, is to hide it cleverly or do what I did and cause another shadow to hinder the second light from hitting it (which is what the shade does in essence). The positive side to the shade is it makes the scene more moody and allows you to just see the little details of light on the creepy girl's face and arm. Happy coincidence there. I might have to turn off the flashlight on the pistol in her right hand, as the bright spot of light above the window is from the flashlight and that shadow obscuring it is, once again, the muzzleflash. 

Now, your suggestion regarding the door: I'm not very good at creating textures from scratch. I could manage the transparency, but I'm not sure I could manage the edges where the wood would be lighter in color in a more than amateurish way. But your insight is brilliant and makes me think I might actually do it. Let me go looking for tutorials. If anyone knows of a good tutorial that would help me with this, please, by all means post it. I'm going to have to really give this consideration as well. (I'm beginning to think I'm not going to get a second image this month)

Now, I'm glad you got a vision for this challenge going. It makes me wonder if they're cosplaying as characters in the game or are they the actual characters themselves? I don't think the answer matters to the piece. I love the concept. I won't say much at this stage because it's your first go. I think it'd be awesome if you could manage to get them into an arcade environment or even if it's just these two playing in a garage or game room. Bringing in those little details of the scene will go a long way to making this really shine. I'm looking forward to seeing this work develop.

Shinji - I'm not sure if I like the wires there. When comparing the two images, I'm not certain they help the lighting of that character much. I understand that a large blast could've caused the damage to the wires there; I just wonder if we'd see more damage in the scene then, like blast marks on the floor or more damage around the doorway. I think you did a good job scattering the casings a bit, but they might be too many now? And don't get upset, but I'm wondering if swapping the two shadowrunners' positions would improve the image. This is just a thought, so just ignore it if you don't like it. What if she is preparing her spell behind cover to the left of the door, and he's over on the right in the better lit area? That way, the lighter-skinned figure with the light in her hands is in the shadowy area, and the dark figure without light is in the brighter area. Don't get me wrong. I really like her posing and the action of the scene, but I'm wondering if that simple swap could improve things. And I might be mistaken, but I think you might be able to swap them out relatively easily using shift-y. Don't hold me to that however. Does anyone know?

• Luftsturmregiment40Luftsturmregiment40 Posts: 328
    edited May 2018

It's taken me a while to get my submission in order this month but here is the first draft.

TItle: Out of Her League

Software: Daz Studio 4.10

The background has beel intentionally left out, I'm torn between choosing a 1980's style arcade setting or mimicking the background from the level on the arcade machine screen. Also, the lighting will remain generic until I decide on a setting.

Feedback welcome. 

original

why a 1980's setting? Mortal Combat was beginning of the 90's if I remember corectly (89 at most ?)

but either way... can't wait for the final render

cool

ps.: PLEASE DON'T CHANGE THE CAMERA because it looks perfect the way it is 

Post edited by Luftsturmregiment40 on
    Wanderer said:

@Kismet2012 - Okay - that makes sense. If it was two posed figures, I think I could just use shift-Y to attempt to reverse their positions, but do you know of a way to simply swap the two file cabinets so the one laying down is in the front of the image and the other is in the rear? I don't want to have to repose them entirely, but maybe that's just being lazy and it wouldn't be so bad. I'm just wondering if I should've placed the one blocking more details to the rear of the scene, sort of like how I swapped the positioning of the girl zombie's arms so as to not obscure her face. Okay on the undead fiend, but now I'm concerned that it doesn't look as good as it might. I may try to do another iteration with his head poking through just to see if it looks better. If I can figure out a way to make it look good, I'll come back with an iteration of that. If you don't hear or see that in this thread, you'll know I couldn't do it justice.

@Night678winG - Whew! Okay, I was worried it'd be too dark, but I think if you view it at full-size or fullscreen it isn't so bad. Still, good to hear someone thinks it's an improvement. If you go back to the original and compare, you'll soon see that I added the shade/cover to get rid of the shadow of the muzzleflash on the wall behind. Apparently this is something that happens in Iray, and even altering the lighting settings did not entirely remove the shadow, only make it less obvious. The only way to completely get rid of the shadow of the muzzleflash, even though it's a light source, is to hide it cleverly or do what I did and cause another shadow to hinder the second light from hitting it (which is what the shade does in essence). The positive side to the shade is it makes the scene more moody and allows you to just see the little details of light on the creepy girl's face and arm. Happy coincidence there. I might have to turn off the flashlight on the pistol in her right hand, as the bright spot of light above the window is from the flashlight and that shadow obscuring it is, once again, the muzzleflash. 

Now, your suggestion regarding the door: I'm not very good at creating textures from scratch. I could manage the transparency, but I'm not sure I could manage the edges where the wood would be lighter in color in a more than amateurish way. But your insight is brilliant and makes me think I might actually do it. Let me go looking for tutorials. If anyone knows of a good tutorial that would help me with this, please, by all means post it. I'm going to have to really give this consideration as well. (I'm beginning to think I'm not going to get a second image this month)

Now, I'm glad you got a vision for this challenge going. It makes me wonder if they're cosplaying as characters in the game or are they the actual characters themselves? I don't think the answer matters to the piece. I love the concept. I won't say much at this stage because it's your first go. I think it'd be awesome if you could manage to get them into an arcade environment or even if it's just these two playing in a garage or game room. Bringing in those little details of the scene will go a long way to making this really shine. I'm looking forward to seeing this work develop.

Shinji - I'm not sure if I like the wires there. When comparing the two images, I'm not certain they help the lighting of that character much. I understand that a large blast could've caused the damage to the wires there; I just wonder if we'd see more damage in the scene then, like blast marks on the floor or more damage around the doorway. I think you did a good job scattering the casings a bit, but they might be too many now? And don't get upset, but I'm wondering if swapping the two shadowrunners' positions would improve the image. This is just a thought, so just ignore it if you don't like it. What if she is preparing her spell behind cover to the left of the door, and he's over on the right in the better lit area? That way, the lighter-skinned figure with the light in her hands is in the shadowy area, and the dark figure without light is in the brighter area. Don't get me wrong. I really like her posing and the action of the scene, but I'm wondering if that simple swap could improve things. And I might be mistaken, but I think you might be able to swap them out relatively easily using shift-y. Don't hold me to that however. Does anyone know?

When you have so many items interacting with each other I am not sure there is an "easy" way to move things around.  I would STRONGLY recommend if you want to start moving stuff save as a new version so you can go back if it doesn't work out.

Here's version g for this month. Made use of 4 instances of the casings prop that I shifted at rotated around the parent prop. Also added some damaged wires plus an instance of them hanging from the door mechanism to use the sparks to get some light on the second Shadowrunner.

I like the idea of the wires and sparks but I am finding them distracting to the main action in the scene.  They are taking my eyes away from your spellcaster and the other characters.

• NovbreNovbre Posts: 83
    edited May 2018

@Wanderer

I smile every time I see your render.  Weird given that it's a horror image, but I like the little girl zombies foot in the face of the other zombie and his/its expression.  I think that's my favorite part of the whole image!  I have a couple of pose related comments.  They are just my perspective so please don't take them as a criticism!

1)  The heroine seems to be looking at the only part of the image where there no action going on!  Personally I don't know if I would be looking at the window (for a way out!) or at the monsters headed my way!  She seems to be looking at something on the floor behind the file cabinet.

2)   The heroine's pose a bit stiff.  It's like the combat version of the T pose lol.  Nothing wrong with the pose as it fits with the scene, but some really minor tweeks can get rid of that stiffness.  The easiest and fastest way would be to relax/drop the shoulders a little bit, and maybe move one shoulder a little forward or backwards to break up the symmetry a bit more.  There are tons of ways to relax that stiffness in a pose, those are just two that come to mind for that particular pose you are using.

3)   Perhaps switch the arm poses of the girl zombie?  Currently she is reaching with arm closest to the camera and it blocks most of her face.  If you switched the arms around so she's reaching with the arm farthest away from the camera we can see her face, and would add just that much more horror to the image.

4)   This is a question...where is the girl zombies other leg?  I see her dress posed like she's kicking or climbing but I don't see the foot.   I have spent more time looking for that foot/leg that I am going to admit publicly lol!

~ Novbre

Post edited by Novbre on