DAZ! PLEASE bring back the DAZ Installers!

124»

Comments

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited July 2013

Example!

Nothing but glorious non-Genesis hairrrrrrrrrrr.

If it was for anything but Genesis. If it is hair. If I did not mess up during installation, it is SOMEWHERE there, and I can find it.

If I messed up during installation, I uninstall it in DIM, and then pull down the right selector from the menu given -- that is, Non-Genesis Hair -- and reinstall there. Updates will then go there! FOREVER. Until I tell them not to. MWAHAHAHHAHAHAA.

nongenesishair.png
    1024 x 336 - 32K
    Post edited by Skiriki on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

One thing to make sure of is that you don't create nested content folders -- you DON'T want a Genesis1 content folder INSIDE My Library, you want it next to My Library inside Studio.

edited December 1969

One thing to make sure of is that you don't create nested content folders -- you DON'T want a Genesis1 content folder INSIDE My Library, you want it next to My Library inside Studio.

Yep! After I've slept, I will make a helpful picture of this too...

• edited December 1969

I can't figure out the installers or the whole DAZ Studio deal. The Genesis 2 female seems to be a plus, but the content issue in Studio has got me perplexed. Some items load, but some don't. I'm currently using Poser Pro 2012 on a Mac Lion and have been happy with DAZ content for years, but this recent attempt to create content exclusive to Studio has really got me frustrated. I keep throwing my money away. Has anyone been able to use the DAZ Horse 2? Or how about DAZ not mentioning what versions of software are compatible at the time of purchase? Daz is a total mess this past year! Am I alone?

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

fiftywatt said:
    Daz is a total mess this past year! Am I alone?

No, you're not alone, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to try to convince you that you are.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617
    edited July 2013

...post removed by author

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

fiftywatt said:
    I can't figure out the installers or the whole DAZ Studio deal. The Genesis 2 female seems to be a plus, but the content issue in Studio has got me perplexed. Some items load, but some don't. I'm currently using Poser Pro 2012 on a Mac Lion and have been happy with DAZ content for years, but this recent attempt to create content exclusive to Studio has really got me frustrated. I keep throwing my money away. Has anyone been able to use the DAZ Horse 2? Or how about DAZ not mentioning what versions of software are compatible at the time of purchase? Daz is a total mess this past year! Am I alone?

Maybe if you ask some questions about what you're having problems with you'll get some answers.

Coldrale

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2013

I'm lost, what part of the ONE content folder for DAZ3D content going back to DS2 is hard to grasp? The Name could always be anything you wanted it to be, the relocation from Programs to My Documents was forced by the changes in the Windows OS, and the move to the DIM Public Library was so users did not need to SET Admin folder privileges on a multi user PC because it is harder to do in the new OS's, kids use DS too, but have their own log in? No need to ADD the folder because it's Shared by default at install in the public folder when DIM is used at Default settings.

Just as before the structure is the same (SOME FOLDER NAME)/Runtime. It was Content/Runtime then became My Library/Runtime now in DIM its My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime. The only thing that has changed is the file types. Not were they go. If you open a ZIP file and it is like this..

Some ITEM Folder
    ..Runtime

Just as before it is 100% in the Runtime folder.

If you Open a Zip and it is like this...

Some ITEM Folder
    ..Data
    ..Poses
    ..Runtime

The TWO top folders are DAZ3D folders and Go in the Content/My Library/My DAZ 3D Library folder section and the RUNTIME folders in it goes in the RUNTIME folder. Its just that simple. Nothing has changed but file types.

And Just as before DAZ Studio can have as many Content folders as you like, as long as they are in the Content Directory Manager paths listed as both DAZ Studio Format and Poser Format. You can also list as many POSER only Runtimes in the Poser Formats paths as you like just as before. You can not have Nested Content Folders just like in the past. Nested never worked in any version of DS.

You can have this if you like. All three Folders DS2/DS3 then the DS4 one and the DIM one. It will work just fine.

+DAZ Studio Format
    ...C:(USER NAME HERE)/My Documents/Daz3D/Studio3/Content
    ...C:(USER NAME HERE)/My Documents/Daz3D/Studio/My Library
    ...C:Users/Public/Public Documents/My DAZ 3D Library
    +Poser Format
    ...C:(USER NAME HERE)/My Documents/Daz3D/Studio3/Content
    ...C:(USER NAME HERE)/My Documents/Daz3D/Studio/My Library
    ...C:Users/Public/Public Documents/My DAZ 3D Library

Any Poser stand alone Runtimes get listed under Poser Format. Just like before. Like V4_Clothing, or any you made on your own whatever the Name you used. Really it is that easy.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617
    edited July 2013

[coming visible for a moment again]

I have no other users on my system, so why must I have to deal with this ridiculous structure?

Yes it was simple when there was only one runtime under the Content folder. But how there are two.

When we used to open .zip it was:

Content/Runtime with
    Geometries
    Libraries
    Textures

as the subfolders

That was nice, simple and elegant. Now besides the old structure we have:

(my) Library
    Data (supposedly the "new" Geometries" folder for Daz only content.
    Runtime (huh, wasn't this originally under content?) which has only Geometries, Libraries Textrures and this new folder called "Support".

Then there's still also the standard Content/Poser runtime structure we used to know for the Poser .dpc content.

Bloody arse confusing. Like where are the "Daz" (Genesis) runtime components supposed to go so I don't get pathname errors? I still do not have a clear answer on that.

Oh let the DIM handle it? Well the bleedn' DIM doesn't work on my setup. I've given it the best shot and it failed miserably, so I have to manually install everything. Daz took a concept that once was so elegant and simple and turned it into a fraggin' complex mess because of their instistance that everyone use their "Smart Content" concept which BTW tends to break down every time there is a major update (I've read enough threads on this to know it is something I do not want to deal with). So they hamstring those of us who try to manually install by removing features like Readmes - and don't even bring up the online ones because they are a total joke, as most are either incomplete or nonexistent even for products that once had nicely detailed descriptions which were accessible offline - and installer revision numbers.

Face it, if you don't use the DIM and Smart Content, you are basically screwed. That was pretty much said in the closing comments for the content upadate feature request that was entered on the Mantis bug tracker site.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited July 2013

What part of the top folder name never mattered is so hard to get? Content/Runtime, My Library/Runtime are exactly the same. ONLY the name has changed. Even in DS3 content items had folders ABOVE (not inside) the Runtime folder. Those folders not in the RUNTIME folder were DS only content and never belonged in the Runtime folder. Nothing is different now except the file types.

Kyoto Kid said:

Content/Runtime with
    Geometries
    Libraries
    Textures

as the subfolders

This is POSER only content. PA's used a Trick to get DS files to load from the POSER Runtime. RUNTIME is POSER format. But PA's learned that they did not NEED to do that and ADDED folders above RUNTIME (or outside it) and That is DS content.

IF any Content from DAZ3D does NOT have a RUNTIME folder in the ZIP file NOTHING goes in the RUNTIME Folder. ONLY POSER Format content that comes IN a Runtime folder from DAZ goes into the RUNTIME folder. IF no content is IN a Runtime folder then NONE of it is POSER format, it ALL goes in the Folders ABOVE (OutSide) the Runtime folder.

This is 100% Hand Installed DIM zip files Copy and Pasted into the Proper Folder. It all works.
    Capture2.png
    466 x 359 - 70K
    Capture1.png
    515 x 680 - 132K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Here it is at work.

Capture3.png
    1046 x 582 - 81K
    Capture4.png
    1047 x 582 - 114K
  • Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

Wow. Is it really necessary to be that rude?

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

As a cranky old fart I didn't find Jaderail's post rude, more emphatic, his frustration is understandable as this has been explained literally hundreds of times on these forums. I know we are suppose to be polite and patient with other forum members, but when it is the same few that keep having problems the desire to be able to reach through the monitor and slap some sense ( or at least basic computer knowledge) in to them becomes overwhelming.

edited December 1969

Legionair said:

Honest question: Have you ever worked in tech support?

• edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

Yep! After I've slept, I will make a helpful picture of this too... Sounds like a plan!

• edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...post removed by author
    Not a database manager. Just a damn good artist.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Can we please cool down and keep the posting civil. Thankyou

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Legionair said:

Honest question: Have you ever worked in tech support?

Yes I have. For three different companies actually.

The rules were always "don't say no, don't be rude and don't talk down to the customer."