question to people with two hard drives

Hello !

I have some questions,

i have got a new computer and it feels amazing everything is faster for me now, i have got an SSD without so much space (150 go) with windows 10 installed, and a HDD with 1To

i wanted to install Daz on the HDD, the install worked fine but once i wanted to run it, i got an error message... it didn't work at all !

i tried to install it on my first hard drive (the SSD with windows installed) and it worked perfectly !

my question is why ? it is not possible to install Daz in a second hard drive ?

i wanted to do that because i am scared if the render of Daz could damage the SSD (or at least killing it faster)

what do you think ??

thank you for your reply !

Comments

• What was the error? I don't have an SSD, but I do have my content on a different drive from the application - and others have installed the application itself on a drive other than C

• The error was something like "the application didn't run correctly (0xc000007b)"

I had this error for both daz and install manager, nothing worked at all, i installed them on D

i didn't know why maybe it's the hard drive itself that got an issue ? i don't know yet since my computer is new and daz is the first application i tried to install.

• As I recall that's a video-related error code.

• And why i had this ? it works perfectly on C:, i though it's because i don't have program files on D:, but i don't know... (it's my first time with two hard drive)

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited April 2018

As Richard said, there are others around here who have successfully installed DAZ Studio on a second drive and one may happen by with some advice about that. I do use an SSD as a boot drive on one of my PCs, with a large HDD for storage (as well as a fast HDD for swap - but that's neither here nor there). You should not have a problem, space-wise, installing DAZ Studio on your SSD, and no, DAZ Studio will not "hurt" your SSD. However, you may wish to adjust a couple of settings in DAZ Studio.

1. First, create a folder on your HDD (anywhere will do) and call it "swap".

2. Within that new folder create a folder called "DAZStudio4" and create a folder within that called "temp".

3. Create another folder within the DAZStudio4 folder called "dson" and another within that called "cache".

4. Open DAZ Studio and choose Edit > Preferences from the menu bar. In the resulting popup window under the General tab, look near the bottom and you will see Temporary Files and DSON Cache Files, with paths for both. Edit those paths to direct Studio to the new file locations you created. I.e. if your HDD is designated D:, then you would enter D:\swap\DAZStudio4\temp in the dialogue box for Temporary Files, and D:\swap\DAZStudio4\dson\cache in the dialogue box for DSON Cache Files.

5. Click on "Apply" at the bottom, and you are good to go.

The foregoing isn't essential, but will save some wear and tear on your SSD as those temporary file folders are subject to a lot of writes that are better done on your HDD.

Now, another matter that is essential. When you installed DAZ Studio, did you specify a location for your content files (figures, characters, clothing, hair, props, etc.) in a folder on your HDD, or did you let the installer place that in its default location? If the latter, you must correct that immediately since your SSD is not large enough to store that data, especially as it will grow over time. Hopefully if you haven't changed the location of that content folder you haven't begun to download any content there yet, especially if you are using DIM and/or Connect. If you haven't downloaded content yet, then:

Create a new folder on your HDD to store your content, You can use the default name DAZ Studio uses if you like ("My DAZ3D Library" or something like that - I don't know what it is these days as I never use it), or you can call it whatever suits your fancy, like "Bob" for example. Just kidding. I call mine simply 3DContent. 

If you were installing DAZ Studio fresh, you would simply specify that new content library location on your HDD during installation instead of the default location on your SSD. I don't use either DIM or Connect, so I am not certain whether you are prompted for the locations for their downloads and files or not, but they can be adjusted in DAZ Studio after installation.

If you did not specify the new location for your content library during installation, you will need to tell DAZ Studio where it is located. To do so, under Edit > Preferences again, open the Content Library tab in the popup window and go to the bottom and choose Content Directory Manager. A new popup window will open and you will see under Current Directories - DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats. Click on the + sign to expand them both. You will see a path for your content library listed, and you will need to edit both the DAZ and Poser paths to indicate your new location on your HDD. (it doesn't matter if you are using Poser or not, some files are always in Poser format and DAZ Studio needs to know where they are when needed). To edit, just select each path and choose "Edit" on the left to enter the correct paths for each. Click "Accept" and you are done.

Now, the DIM and Connect thing. If you have already downloaded content using either without specifying a new path, that is a bit problematic and will need to be addressed separately. Assuming that you have not downloaded content, you can edit the paths as described here:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/userguide/configure_install_manager/tips/setup_my_download_locations/start

and

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/992983/#Comment_992983

Post edited by SixDs on