Zeroing all the parts of a model

How do you zero and normalize all the parts of a model after properly adjusting all their scale and rotations?

"Zeroing" just snaps everything back to the original mess.

Comments

• Is your model being loaded in a certain pose (is that what you mean as the original mess)? Typically zeroing out a pose should set the figure back to it's default stance/position, but I think in some cases where the figure is loaded into a scene directly with positioning, then zeroing it out resets it back to that position. 

• NimosNimos Posts: 39

Various parts like wheels and doors are size and position mismatched and I simply want to match everything up to the entire model and zero everything to my own scale.

• I'm afraid I can't offer much help there, without more information. If you are working with a particular figure/object that comes from Daz's store, chances are that someone else has it and could help you out. But if you're using a custom object you might need to describe more about it. Screenshots seem to help. 

• Eagle99Eagle99 Posts: 159
    edited April 2018

If you have soemthing consists of different objects/props you have scaled etc. you can memorize the current state.

Edit / Object / Memorize is the menu entry.

There is also a Restore, Zero (what you already found) and Lock entry related to that. "Memorize Pose" is to memorize scales, translations and rotations.

That doesn't actually zero the actual values, but put's the default values to the current state.

When you're finished you can save out a scene subset for later use.

If you want to scale all parts at once, create a Null Node (Create menu), place it where the center of your items should be, and parent all items to that Null Node.

Scale the Null Node than will scale everything at once.

You can also use Null Nodes (parented) on single objects of course, to give them another rotation center i.e. or have them somehow zeroed, as you than can use the Null Node to move, scale, rotate and translate them...

Hope that helps.

Kind regard, Eagle99

Post edited by Eagle99 on

Thanks for the info, Eagle.  I didn't think DS would be so excessively complicated.  In Bryce, for example, setting a pivot point was so easy a cat could do it.

• Eagle99Eagle99 Posts: 159

Well... it has another focus than Bryce maybe... but I don't know Bryce.

DS is loading in figures, pose, light and go.... more or less. And that's pretty easy.

Most users probably don't want to care about pivot points and all this ... technical stuff. wink

For conent creation the things get a bit more complicated in DS due to their nature.

But it's worth to take a look under the hood... you will find a lot of cool stuff it can do.

Kind regards, Eagle99

That's just it ... the latest DS seems to have an incredible amount of power under the hood, but it's not implemented in a simple, clear, easy-to-use way.  I think it actually has too many options and parameters, many of them labeled awkwardly, making the whole thing confusing and overwhelming.