Rotoscope in Daz?

Was watching a youtube video about anime, 3D and rotoscope and wondered, if my understanding is correct, if that is possible in Daz and how one would do it?

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited April 2018

Not in Studio, because rotoscoping is working with a finished video that you draw over. So you could create an animation in Studio and then take the resulting video to, say, Photoshop and do something like:

https://vimeo.com/91230301

The forum doesn't seem to allow embedding of Vimeo videos.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited April 2018

you have to put it to "embedding all" on vimeo

are there other programs that can video layers ?

PSCC far to expensive for me

Post edited by Ruphuss on

Ruphuss, I believe Project Dogwaffle can. Blender, too, but I haven't looked into iit.

thank you Cris

so painting on a video is a lot of work i think

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856
    edited April 2018
    Ruphuss said:

you have to put it to "embedding all" on vimeo

are there other programs that can video layers ?

PSCC far to expensive for me

Sorry, are you asking if there are other video editors out there that have video layers and are good for people on a budget? If so, check out the humble bundle. At the moment they have Vegas Pro Edit on sale for $20. It usually goes for $400. Hurry though it's only on for another 5 days and then it will probably never be that price again. 

Edit* I guess you were probably asking about rotoscoping. I don't know if Vegas can do that. 

Post edited by BradCarsten on
  • ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596

In Daz, it wouldn't make sense. Though you can do animation in daz, then output it to like Photoshop. I did this over 15 years ago. i did  live video and imported it to Phtooshop. then rotoscoped each frame of animation to make the light sabre effect. it worked quite well too. I need to find that video. it's been so long. 

i am using vegas a long time now but not the pro version

will look at that bradrg

thx for the hint

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,762

Have you looked at Hitfilm??
    I believe they have a free version
    and even the paid version is not too outrageous.
    https://hitfilm.com/express

thx wolf will look at it

thx to bradrg i own now vegas pro and lot of other stuff for 20 bucks - very nice

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856
    Ruphuss said:

i am using vegas a long time now but not the pro version

will look at that bradrg

thx for the hint

Hi Ruphuss, No problem, I always enjoy finding these little surprises, but just to clarify, it's Pro edit, which doesn't quite have all the features of Pro. The things it's missing are: 

NewBlueFX Filters Ultimate

HitFilm Movie Essentials. 

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/za/vegas-pro/product-comparison/

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724

There's also DaVinci Resolve, both free and paid versions:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,278

Ok I just checked out that first video link and googled rotoscope, which I should have done in the first place.  I mistakeningly thought it had to do with moving a camera around a scene, but now I know it has nothing to do with that....Still...

Rotoscoping was used in the first 3 Star Wars movies and I understand using it on a real life action movie to get the effects into the movie, but why would one need to do this in an animation when the entire anime is created on a computer.  Seems simple enough to add effects with a computer to an anime created on a computer, yet rotoscoping is still used and I don't understand why.  It seems like a lot of extra work when everything in that anime can be done inside the program used to create it.  Mnay programs today, such as Blender and Maya and others, can create the models, scene and effects, so what is the purpose of using extra programs for rotoscoping?

Thank you all for the answers you gave so far and I will check the other links later today.

I want to create an anime, entirely in Daz, though I have a few telling me that is not possible, which just makes me want to prove them wrong.  I came across rotoscoping when I was doing research on types of anime, so that is what lead me here.

wolf359 said:

Have you looked at Hitfilm??
    I believe they have a free version
    and even the paid version is not too outrageous.
    https://hitfilm.com/express

Doh! Yeah, forgot to mention HitFilm which I really love (enough to have bought the Pro version). You can, however, rotoscope with the free Express version.

Ok I just checked out that first video link and googled rotoscope, which I should have done in the first place.  I mistakeningly thought it had to do with moving a camera around a scene, but now I know it has nothing to do with that....Still...

Rotoscoping was used in the first 3 Star Wars movies and I understand using it on a real life action movie to get the effects into the movie, but why would one need to do this in an animation when the entire anime is created on a computer.  Seems simple enough to add effects with a computer to an anime created on a computer, yet rotoscoping is still used and I don't understand why.  It seems like a lot of extra work when everything in that anime can be done inside the program used to create it.  Mnay programs today, such as Blender and Maya and others, can create the models, scene and effects, so what is the purpose of using extra programs for rotoscoping?

Thank you all for the answers you gave so far and I will check the other links later today.

I want to create an anime, entirely in Daz, though I have a few telling me that is not possible, which just makes me want to prove them wrong.  I came across rotoscoping when I was doing research on types of anime, so that is what lead me here.

There may be effects you can't achieve in Studio (remember Daz is the name of the company which makes Studio).  There are some pretty nifty things you can add to an animation to enhance it if you know how to rotoscope.

Oh I know the difference between the company and the software.  I have been with Daz since the release of version 1.7 and they have advanced so much since then. I have yet to see anyone make animated effects for Daz though am confident that is not far behind.  Until then I do have Blender and my son has C4D which he tried to teach me but I couldn't quite grasp it and I am making slow headway with Blender.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2018

It gets very confusing when people will insist on saying Daz when they do in fact mean Daz Studio, or DS.  There are many of us who use Daz as a content supplier, but use other Daz programs rather that DS to make our images etc.   Daz is more than just Daz Studio. Bryce, Carrara and Hexagon (in alphabetical order) are also Daz programs.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited April 2018

As per Chohole's point, this award winning movie was made with software available at Daz, but not with Studio.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3788934/

http://www.dinnerforfew.com/

Chohole said:

It gets very confusing when people will insist on saying Daz when they do in fact mean Daz Studio, or DS.  There are many of us who use Daz as a content supplier, but use other Daz programs rather that DS to make our images etc.   Daz is more than just Daz Studio. Bryce, Carrara and Hexagon (in alphabetical order) are also Daz programs.

Post edited by Diomede on

That looks like an interesting anime, would like to know what software here at Daz was used.

As to my making an anime, I am not jumping into it guns blazing.  Starting this summer, using Daz Studio, along with voice and music software, I am going to make intro's for my youtube channels, of which I have 3. Once I have that done, I plan to move onto a music video, finding the right software for voice and music has been an adventure I am still working on. Figure a 4 min song might be close to average length.  After that, keep stretching my time line while carefully watching the toll it takes on my computer.  I have no doubt by the time I jump into a full anime, I first need a new computer.  One step at a time and getting feedback of my progress is my guide. It's possible I might not be able to accomplish a full 12 episode anime, but I am stubborn and will definatelly work towards such.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    Rotoscoping has its own style, and this is due to how it captures a live performance. Obviously you can do things entirely in 3d, and many do. Rotoscoping is labor intensive, and is thus more rare. But as I said, since it animates a live performance, it can create something very different from normal or computer animation. You can do 3d motion capture for computers, but this presents its own issues. Its also a bit harder to act with nothing but a blue/green screen around you and shiny balls attacked to your face and body. So there are reasons why someone might pick rotoscoping.

Also, if you are talking about Daz and Poser being used in animation, look up RWBY. The first 3 or 4 seasons of RWBY were created with Poser. In fact, each episode of those seasons ends with a "Created with Poser" screen. After the creator tragically passed away, the series was continued, but they moved from Poser to a different program. There is some cartoon violence in this early trailer for the show.

That looks like an interesting anime, would like to know what software here at Daz was used.

As to my making an anime, I am not jumping into it guns blazing.  Starting this summer, using Daz Studio, along with voice and music software, I am going to make intro's for my youtube channels, of which I have 3. Once I have that done, I plan to move onto a music video, finding the right software for voice and music has been an adventure I am still working on. Figure a 4 min song might be close to average length.  After that, keep stretching my time line while carefully watching the toll it takes on my computer.  I have no doubt by the time I jump into a full anime, I first need a new computer.  One step at a time and getting feedback of my progress is my guide. It's possible I might not be able to accomplish a full 12 episode anime, but I am stubborn and will definatelly work towards such.

Do you mean you're making an animation in the genre of anime or do you mean a different genre of animation?