Q about Account Manager For Daz

RaymandRaymand Posts: 62
edited April 2018 in The Commons

Does any here use Account Manager For Daz by Taozen? It looks very useful. But when I clicked on the link to download the alpha version, it brought up a pop-up page that had the link for the zip file, and a version history. But it also had a "Virus Scan" link. When I clicked that out of curiousity, it listed several malware engines. I take that with a grain of salt, as these reports sometimes have false positives. I could not find a link to ask the author, so if anyone here has tried it, I wondered what your own experience was. 

Also, I see that the alpha version has an expiration date which is quite brief. That is fine, but when the expiration date comes, do you need to download and install a new version (if the expiration date gets extended), or does the expiration date on the version you have already installed just get extended.

Post edited by Raymand on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Taoz  is the forum username of the creator   https://www.daz3d.com/forums/profile/983889/Taoz

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,731
    edited April 2018
    Raymand said:

Does any here use Account Manager For Daz by Taozen? It looks very useful. But when I clicked on the link to download the alpha version, it brought up a pop-up page that had the link for the zip file, and a version history. But it also had a "Virus Scan" link. When I clicked that out of curiousity, it listed several malware engines. I take that with a grain of salt, as these reports sometimes have false positives. I could not find a link to ask the author, so if anyone here has tried it, I wondered what your own experience was. 

The code is obfuscated after compilation, that makes some AV programs suspicious, common and annoying problem. It tests 100% clean at virustotal.com before obfuscation. There's never been any problems with virus in any of my programs, they're being developed in a dedicated and very secure environment.

In general, if a program gets 3 or less hits at virustotal.com it's considered safe, but there's never any 100% guarantee these days, unfortunately.  

Raymand said:

Also, I see that the alpha version has an expiration date which is quite brief. That is fine, but when the expiration date comes, do you need to download and install a new version (if the expiration date gets extended), or does the expiration date on the version you have already installed just get extended.

Normally alpha/beta versions last 2-3 months before they expire, but I'm working on an update for this one which I want to get out as fast as possible, so currently it expires every two weeks. Whether it's the same version that's extended or a new version you need to download and update it, but that only takes a minute (there's a direct link to the download page on the expiration box that pops up when it's expires). If a new version is released before the existing one expires the auto-update function will notify you and download it for you.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • RaymandRaymand Posts: 62
    Taoz said:
    Raymand said:

The code is obfuscated after compilation, that makes some AV programs suspicious, common and annoying problem. It tests 100% clean at virustotal.com before obfuscation. There's never been any problems with virus in any of my programs, they're being developed in a dedicated and very secure environment.

In general, if a program gets 3 or less hits at virustotal.com it's considered safe, but there's never any 100% guarantee there days, unfortunately.  

Thanks, that makes sense. I was hoping that it was just a false positive, but I figured it was best to err on the side of caution and inquire first.

Taoz said:
    Raymand said:

Normally alpha/beta versions last 2-3 months before they expire, but I'm working on an update for this one which I want to get out as fast as possible, so currently it expires every two weeks. Whether it's the same version that's extended or a new version you need to download and update it, but that only takes a minute (there's a direct link to the download page on the expiration box that pops up when it's expires). If a new version is released before the existing one expires the auto-update function will notify you and download it for you.

That sounds easy enough.

This sounds like a great program that fills a real need. I will love to try it.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited April 2018

I just take the two files that get downloaded and drop them over the folder that contains the old ones and overwrite the old ones. My download history and all that is preserved.

I love this little proggie and feel like I can't do without it anymore ;). When ya have as much stuff as I do, it helps a lot just to remind ya of what you already have. LOL Can't wait until it's finished and I can buy it :)

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Any word when this will be for sale?????

Any word when this will be for sale?????

Can't say for sure as I'm working on updating it, but hopefully within the next 2-3 months.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760

I've had much the same problem lately and it does seem to be that some of the spyware programs on my system are getting antsy about a program that has to be reloaded every two or three weeks.  It is a great program, though, and well worth the hassle. 

Now I'm eagerly hoping to see TZ's sort-of equivalent Product Manager for Renderosity finally working again in the near future...      

Cybersox said:

I've had much the same problem lately and it does seem to be that some of the spyware programs on my system are getting antsy about a program that has to be reloaded every two or three weeks.  It is a great program, though, and well worth the hassle. 

Now I'm eagerly hoping to see TZ's sort-of equivalent Product Manager for Renderosity finally working again in the near future...      

The Rendo version is working again now, just need to find a way to sell it (Rendo won't take it because of some legal stuff). It's free and fully functional with no time limits up to 250 products btw.. Just haven't added download of product pages / pictures yet, the pages are a poorly standardized mess because they're created and maintained by the artists so it can be hard to get any useful data out of many of them (some pages hardly have any data or pictures at all).

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    Taoz said:
    Cybersox said:

The Rendo version is working again now, just need to find a way to sell it (Rendo won't take it because of some legal stuff). It's free and fully functional with no time limits up to 250 products btw.. Just haven't added download of product pages / pictures yet, the pages are a poorly standardized mess because they're created and maintained by the artists so it can be hard to get any useful data out of many of them (some pages hardly have any data or pictures at all).

The pages data issue is something that will never really be resolved, as a lot of the older Rendo product had the info and images all on the "editorial" page while the newer stuff has all the text on on the "description" page with the images in windowboxes. Of course, there's a similar issue with the DAZ account manager in that DAZ often completely drops the pages for discontinued products whereas at least Rendo keeps the front pages for their discontinued products active.  Really, if there's one thing I'd like to see added to the DAZ content manager, it would be the ability to generate a dummy page that one could fill with some of one's own renders/descriptions and/or info pulled up via the wayback machine, and to add in listing for all the products from the old DAZ free library.

But the main thing I'm desperately waiting for with the Renderosity Product Manager is the ability to manage more than 250 products because 250 is such a tiny fraction of my collection that it's almost pointless given that I currently have over 4300 Rendo items and the freeware version has never even been able to load up all the products that begin with the letter "A".  .  (And that's before you count all the items I've picked up on the side as BOGOs and as gifts, so having the ability to generate pages for those products would be pretty useful in the long run too.)

edited May 2018
    Cybersox said:
    Taoz said:
    Cybersox said:

The pages data issue is something that will never really be resolved, as a lot of the older Rendo product had the info and images all on the "editorial" page while the newer stuff has all the text on on the "description" page with the images in windowboxes. Of course, there's a similar issue with the DAZ account manager in that DAZ often completely drops the pages for discontinued products whereas at least Rendo keeps the front pages for their discontinued products active.  Really, if there's one thing I'd like to see added to the DAZ content manager, it would be the ability to generate a dummy page that one could fill with some of one's own renders/descriptions and/or info pulled up via the wayback machine, and to add in listing for all the products from the old DAZ free library.

As for the missing pages at DAZ I'm planning to make it get data for these from the product library instead; though the data there is limited and there's only one picture it's better than nothing. An option for adding/editing product data and pictures manually will be added later, for both programs.

Cybersox said:

But the main thing I'm desperately waiting for with the Renderosity Product Manager is the ability to manage more than 250 products because 250 is such a tiny fraction of my collection that it's almost pointless given that I currently have over 4300 Rendo items and the freeware version has never even been able to load up all the products that begin with the letter "A".  .  (And that's before you count all the items I've picked up on the side as BOGOs and as gifts, so having the ability to generate pages for those products would be pretty useful in the long run too.

Gift items (those which are downloadable from within your account) are already included, they are marked as "Gift" instead of order# (they have none) in the Order# column.

I'm working on setting up a payment option but it's complicated these days with new EU VAT rules, GDPR and god knows what, but I hope to have it in place soon.

Post edited by Taoz on