Animation clunker!

I have produced a real clunker somehow. The car file does what I want but really slowly in the Assembly window and when I render it, I get 162MB file. I can reduce the size, resolution, compression, and frame rate to reduce the avi file size to ONLY 30MB but that seems really bloated.

I am only doing little stick figures compared to the complex animations I see the folks here making so I think I must be doing things fundamentally wrong. I have a lot of spinning bits combined into hierarchys (families) that move around and connect with each other with one light source and no background.

Can someone take a look at this file and see where I could make it efficient? Apparently car files are not allowed for upload. What file format is possible?

Thanks.

Comments

• SelinaSelina Posts: 149

Hi,

You can:

• zip it and upload
    • change the file ext to txt and upload
    • use Dropbox or equivalent and post the link

Regarding the size of your AVI - uncompressed, 720p, 4-seconds is around 260MB to give you an idea...

Selina smiley

• hrpschrdhrpschrd Posts: 141

Thanks Selina!

It sounds like most animations are hundreds of MB then?! What size are longer animations that I see by Carrara authors, many GB?

Just for grins, here is my file as text. Let me know if it is readable.

Bob

txt
    txt
    connectedtest6.txt

An alternative is to render the animation in high resolution and then use a screen recorder (OBS Studio?) to make a smaller size recording of the animation played on my screen?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,145

HI :)

As Selina mentioned,. you're working with an "uncompressed" AVI file,. and those can be real chunky,. (also not the best way to work)

you should render out your animation as "sequenced frames" (that's what film is).. :)

Once you have all the frames,. then you can make those into a playable clip in a video editor,.

you can then export the results in various formats which can also use a codec to compress the video, ...reducing the file size to something more managable. (maybe 10mb).

MP4 (H:265) is a widely used format,. decent quality and good compression.

One issue with rendering from carrara to a "movie" format is that if you spot an error,. it's a re-render the whole thing to fix it,.

if you save a sequence of frames,. you can render any single frame (for errors) , you can also edit those frames individually, or as a batch,. in another image editing application or Combine with other sequences or effects to create a longer animation.

You should be doing any "Post processing" work using the best quality images you have,. rather than using compressed video clips.

There are a bunch of free Video editors available,. Hit film expresss,. and Black magic design have recently released the Beta of "Resolve" for free.

Hope it helps :)

edited April 17
    hrpschrd said:

An alternative is to render the animation in high resolution and then use a screen recorder (OBS Studio?) to make a smaller size recording of the animation played on my screen?

Bob,

Too drastic and not necessary. Just do what 3DAGE suggests: export your animation as a series of image files and import the sequence into your favourite NLE video editor for final video output.

On your point of the animation moving really slowly in the Assembly room this is because you have many, many cylinders moving in your scene and Carrara has to calculate where each one is at any given frame. At the start of your animation they are all moving rapidly and that takes a lot of calculation. From what I can see you have two basic shapes; an epoxide and a diamine which are then combined to form various chains... you could reduce the amount of calculation if you made these base shapes in either the vertex or spline rooms by a factor of 11.

I also see that in the rendered video that 'd' and 'e' loose their cylindrical shape and just look like lines so why not construct these out of flat planes for the level of detail required - also a tremendous saving on calculation time?

Hope this helps.

​Selina

Post edited by Selina on
    edited April 17

..Just so I know know what I'm talking about, here's a quick show with an epoxide constructed in the spline room and a diamine constructed in the vertex room with 3 simple combinations. You can use the Align tool (Ctrl+K) to help align them and turn on Collision Detection (VIEW : Use Collision Detection) also to get your shapes to abut beautifully.

Hope this helps and you're not insulted by my 'experiment' you've done a lot of work on your show, Bob !

Selina

ED.png
    800 x 600 - 55K
    txt
    txt
    ED_Test.txt
    Post edited by Selina on

Thanks very much Selina and 3DAGE! I suspected that I was probably doing things in, shall we say, an inefficient manner.

I am a chemist so I don't have much time for animation but the simple results are very helpful in conveying the very different motions that microwaves create with molecules.

It will take me some time to re-do the drawings and try sequencing. Looking forward to the obviously better results (above)!

Really great help, thanks again.

Bob 

There are a lot of sequenced frame options in Render. How do you choose?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,145

depending on what you're rendering,. and how you intend working with that,. 

sequenced JPG, or PNG (you can also enable alpha channel with png).

you'd use (Render alpha channel) to make the black background area in your scene invisible,. which will allow you to composite your animation over a different background image/clip in a video editor.

if you don't mind the black background,. JPG is fine. ,. or just straight PNG without the Alpha :)

The "options" in the sequenced "file format" area,.  depend on the selected format,. ...the defaut settings are usually all that's needed.

so,. just select JPG,. then in the "File name" area,. enable "named file" and click the button to select an output Folder,. and name your file,.

Sequenced files are numbered,. eg: funclip_0001,. funclip_0002 etc,..  bear that in mind when you name the file.

some format's,. such as Giff are pretty old now,. and have been surpassed by newer formats such a FLV or MP4 which have a higher quality/colour range with lower file sizes.

Hope it helps ;)

3DAGE:

I installed the beta of Resolve 15. I have imported the sequence files but it is not obvious to me where to go from here. 

Hi,

I'm not familiar with Resolve, but I am familiar with Vegas Pro, Premier and HitFilm... so my advice to you is look for the menu item that says RENDER and choose a render output option of mp4 or H.264. Secondly if this is not intuitive enough for you they is always YouTube's plethora of helpful tutorials just search for rendering in Resolve...

Hope that helps...

Selina

Nope, no RENDER option that i can see.. 3DAGE?