The How Much Does A Kilo of Chocolate Weigh Complaint Thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited December 1969

...well just put a question up on the Tom's forum about USB extension cables. I have a short one right now that works fine, but for some reason longer ones which while powering up the modem, will not send the signal back that it is ready giving me a "No Device" error.

I really would like to just stay with what I have if I can find a way to get the modem into a place where it is out of the ground shadow. There's a tall cabinet right next to my workstation which I could put it on that would definitely be high enough to get it above the ground level.

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...well just put a question up on the Tom's forum about USB extension cables. I have a short one right now that works fine, but for some reason longer ones which while powering up the modem, will not send the signal back that it is ready giving me a "No Device" error.

I really would like to just stay with what I have if I can find a way to get the modem into a place where it is out of the ground shadow. There's a tall cabinet right next to my workstation which I could put it on that would definitely be high enough to get it above the ground level.

Worst case, you could pick up a cheap powered hub to use as a repeater kind of affair. Not as affordable, but probably effective for you.

100f now. Don't want to go outside.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

:sourgrapes: went to my product library to check if my C7Pro had a 64-bit d/l, there is nooo manual d/l button. only DIM is an option. iz not encouraging to upgrade. neigh said the horsies

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,125
    edited June 2013

:sourgrapes: went to my product library to check if my C7Pro had a 64-bit d/l, there is nooo manual d/l button. only DIM is an option. iz not encouraging to upgrade. neigh said the horsies

Are you sure? There should be a blue button (download) and a green button (download with DIM). Edit: OK, it looks as if C7 isn't downloadable at all - nothing on the Product Library page and it isn't in DIM.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Worst case, you could pick up a cheap powered hub to use as a repeater kind of affair. Not as affordable, but probably effective for you.

...OK big Headdesk time (may even register on the seismograph down at the university in Eugene)..

For the last several months been using this short USB "Y" cable I found laying around to get as a much distance form the notebook I could for better RF performance. So this morning, while I have been researching USB extensions for my type of modem came across a PDF file that is the user guide for the modem I have (which I most likely stuck in a file drawer or box somewhere after installing the modem and programme). One of the components listed with the modem kit was a "Y" cable similar to the one I am using (which might be the actual one that came with the modem). Pretty much thought the other lead maybe was for connecting to a hub or other USB device so never used it. Well turns out it is a power boosting lead that according to the manual "...provide(s) the modem up to 1 Amp of current for use in weaker signal areas".

So I plug it in and suddenly the lag and errors I kept getting in Gmail disappeared. When I clicked the ebot to open this thread, it took only a few moments rather than up to several minutes.

When I first installed the modem three years ago, never thought that little cable would be of much use which is why I probably forgot that I even had it.

...sheesh I can be such a luddite at times.

If this solves a number of my connection ills I won't have to deal with getting a longer extension or change to cable service. Will test later today to see how it handles downloading.

edited December 1969

what i see says requires latest version of install manager.

don't understand what it all means, except stop for ice cream on the way home :D

C7pro.JPG
    891 x 620 - 127K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Has now been reported to Daz 3D

edited December 1969

wanted to try making an M class planet cg cut scene of a similar quality as Firefly.

"Wash can you give me a crazy ivan?" "always wanted to do one of those." "goram reevers followed us"

steam physics and particle physics two separate things?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...OK big Headdesk time (may even register on the seismograph down at the university in Eugene)..

For the last several months been using this short USB "Y" cable I found laying around to get as a much distance form the notebook I could for better RF performance. So this morning, while I have been researching USB extensions for my type of modem came across a PDF file that is the user guide for the modem I have (which I most likely stuck in a file drawer or box somewhere after installing the modem and programme). One of the components listed with the modem kit was a "Y" cable similar to the one I am using (which might be the actual one that came with the modem). Pretty much thought the other lead maybe was for connecting to a hub or other USB device so never used it. Well turns out it is a power boosting lead that according to the manual "...provide(s) the modem up to 1 Amp of current for use in weaker signal areas".

So I plug it in and suddenly the lag and errors I kept getting in Gmail disappeared. When I clicked the ebot to open this thread, it took only a few moments rather than up to several minutes.

When I first installed the modem three years ago, never thought that little cable would be of much use which is why I probably forgot that I even had it.

If this solves a number of my connection ills I won't have to deal with getting a longer extension or change to cable service. Will test later today to see how it handles downloading.

Oh, yeah, that makes total sense! USB can only draw 500 milliamps per port, so if the modem needs more to boost the signal it wouldn't be able to on one connector...

Not really an end-user-known thing for non-geeks.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,026
    edited June 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Keeping fingers crossed for you, KK.
    ETA: Makes it hard to type, though. : )

Post edited by TJohn on
    edited December 1969

Is now 105f outside. (scared face)

It might well hit the predicted 109f at this rate.

I'm going to go home, grabbing some beer on the way, and hide indoors. Worse, it's supposed to be this hot tomorrow!!

Might cool down into the upper 90s next week. (blank face)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,026
    edited December 1969

To dinner I will go,
    To dinner I will go.
    Hi ho the derry-o
    To dinner I will go.

Dead deep-fried bird in a basket!
    Yum, yum! : )

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,428
    edited December 1969

I'm having fake Mexican food tonight. Taco Bell

edited December 1969

Fried dead bird sounds good!

Fake Mexican can be OK.

I think I might have a dead bird burger, or a dead fish burger. (blank face) Or a salad and dead bird strips.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Morning. Sitting in our garden watching the sky turn from dark grey to light. Think I hates winter. Spent yesterday on the Maribyronong river, comes through Melbourne's West. Rivers are OK, the Maribyrnong is quite picturesque . But all you can do is go up them and back down again, feels a little pointless. Ah well, nice day in the sun :o)

edited December 1969

I'm going to go home, grabbing some beer on the way, and hide indoors. Worse, it's supposed to be this hot tomorrow!!

Tepid here today

t.png
    222 x 187 - 18K
    edited December 1969

Yeah my wife was complaining cause it was 100F+ where she is

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited June 2013

45 degrees Celsius?? i thought only the interior of Australia got that hot, not the coast. That is how hot my video card is when it idles. It goes up to 60 degrees C.

edit:
    wait, is that temperature in Fahrenheit? I'm used to Australians using Celsius.

Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited December 1969

45 degrees Celsius?? i thought only the interior of Australia got that hot, not the coast. That is how hot my video card is when it idles. It goes up to 60 degrees C.

edit:

113F

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

edit:

113F

140 degree days in the centre aren't uncommon in southern Australian summers, average temps in West Australia are around 95

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Jaderail said:
    why can live be so frustrating.
    Because Dead does not offer as many choices?

And God said: I never promised you a bed of roses.

dead only know one thing: better to be alive (Full Metal Jacket)

edited December 1969

140 degrees I'm sure everyone there looks like toothpicks to. Like living in a sauna.

edited December 1969

Olaf and the Giant Chicken, a Mock Epic Poem: Part One

Olaf, shamed and driven forth
    Started hiking further North
    Seeking a mead-hall brightly lit
    Where he could drink and throw a fit
    Forced from village, with great dislike
    Caused by rampaging kilometer-long pike
    Olaf carried but his axe and his gold
    Everything else had ended up sold
    Massive debts he had to pay
    To all the villagers blown away.

Rumors they came to Olafs ears
    Of villagers with some horrible fears
    An evil beast with razor claw
    That clucked as it would fill it maw
    On peasants, nobles, warriors brave
    It seemed that nothing they tried would save
    The victims from becoming a dinner
    Olaf thought "I could be the winner"
    So onward through the snow he went
    On fame and fortune, all thought was bent.

Olaf chased the rumors around
    The village was nowhere to be found
    He searched all Finland, Norway too
    But there was little he could do
    Then word came to him of shield-maiden fair
    Who had gotten a powerful scare
    From beaked monster in village gone
    So Olaf got himself along
    Thinking shield-maiden could lead the way
    And Olaf could then win the day.

To deepest Russia did Olaf go
    Braving bear and deepening snow
    To fabled Vadistok, city of pearl
    Did Olaf travel to find the girl
    Ask he did, and sought her there
    But she had vanished into thin air
    "She headed West", one bar-man said
    And then he sadly shook his head
    "She's seeking vengeance, some do say,
    She's quick with a sword, I'd stay away."

..to be continued..

hey wow great. Does OLaf meet Ivan Skavisnky Skovar?

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    140 degrees I'm sure everyone there looks like toothpicks to. Like living in a sauna.

Houses are underground http://www.cooberpedy.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=191

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

Yeah my wife was complaining cause it was 100F+ where she is

No fun in Texas anywhere, I think. When it decides to get hot, it doesn't mess around!

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

..to be continued..

Not in this tale.. but I'll keep it in mind! I had to Google that name, interesting stuff!

edited December 1969

I was a welder and Fabrication Manager there for a year so I know all about the heat. Welding in that stuff sucked big time

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I was a welder and Fabrication Manager there for a year so I know all about the heat. Welding in that stuff sucked big time

Blech, yeah, I can just imagine! Hideously hot with an extra side of heat!

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

..to be continued..

Not in this tale.. but I'll keep it in mind! I had to Google that name, interesting stuff!

You were in Russia so... :o)

• gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

Went from nice 28C yesterday to 18C and rainy today. My joints and back are complaining to me.

This discussion has been closed.