Tumbleweed experiment

Comments

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    Diomede said:

Here are some of the settings

Thanks Diomede.

All of these settings are correct. I can view the tumbleweed in the plant editor with no trouble. It just doesn't behave properly in the assemble room.

It would be interesting to know if other Mac users see the same problem. It could be a Mac version bug.

Any other Mac users try this yet?

Interesting note: If I examine the "TumbleWEED_Plant 2.car" file in a text editor I find a large block of gibberish somewhere in the middle. If I do a Save As, and save it under a different name and then examine the new car file, the gibberish disappears, but the rest of the file is rewritten differently. The new file still opens in Carrara, and looks the same, but still has the original problem in the assemble room. Weird.

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    Selina said:

@de3an, sorry you're having such fun with the zipped file - maybe it's a winzip to mac thing??? Here's the car file as a txt, just change the extension and see if that helps. I looked there no gibberish inside.

Selina

Thanks for the effort, but it does exactly the same thing. It looks fine at first, but even moving the camera the slightest causes the screen to fill with random patterns, as in the image I posted earlier.

At first I thought I was zoomed into the middle of the bush. But no amount of zooming out, or reducing the scale of the tumbleweed makes any difference.

Does it take an extraordinary amount of RAM to handle this object? I have 16 GB.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810

did you open it with Carrara or import it into a scene?

th3Digit said:

did you open it with Carrara or import it into a scene?

I tried doing it both ways, but it made no difference.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798

video driver maybe? surprise

Stezza said:

video driver maybe? surprise

I don't think so... This is the only time I've see anything like this happen. Without any other Mac users weighing in on this it's hard to draw any conclusions, but I suspect a bug in the Mac version of Carrara's plant editor. If I remember correctly, It was stated some time ago that the Plant Editor was unfinished and many of its controls were not functional. Perhaps the Mac version is less finished than it's Windows counterpart. frown

If it was a video driver issue there's nothing I could do about it since there is no Apple authorized path for upgrading just the driver (unless Apple issued one in a software update, in which case I'd already have it).

If another Mac user tries the tumbleweed, be sure to mention which Mac OS version you are running. (I'm on 10.11.6, "El Capitan", the newest version that supports my Mac model.)

At this point it's mainly a matter of satisfying my curiosity to find out what's causing this.

edited March 2021

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

I'm on a mid 2010 iMac, Yosemite, and I could move the tumbleweed around in the Assembly room. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for a fix. :(

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Late 2012 iMac, current OS, and it was all good for me. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 20.14.29.png
    1762 x 1277 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 20.15.55.png
    598 x 363 - 92K

I'm on a mid 2010 iMac, Yosemite, and I could move the tumbleweed around in the Assembly room. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for a fix. :(

Thanks for adding the info.

So it works on a Mac with an OS one version older than mine. I wonder if it's a Mac OS/Carrara compatibility thing. The newer the OS gets, the more likely 'ol Carrara is going to have troubles.

Selina said:

@de3an
    ​Failing any other Mac user input - you have the settings (thanks to diomede) I used why not create the object from scratch and see when the issue occurs at what stage ?

I might try that, but I'm wondering if all of the settings were posted. While I would like to have a working copy of your tumbleweed, I'm actually more interested now in why it's not working. (I'm a retired computer/network tech, so when things don't work I switch to troubleshooting mode. Unfortunately, in retirement, my troubleshooting resources are very limited.)

Late 2012 iMac, current OS, and it was all good for me. 

OK then... I'm at a complete loss. Carrara works fine for me in every other way. I can create a default plant with the editor, and that seems to work fine. I can load up Howie's Snow Scene and manipulate that.

So unless it's a "Carrara running on Mac OS 10.11.6" problem (which I doubt), I'm out of ideas.

I might try recreating it form scratch as Selina suggested, when I have some time.

edited April 2018

Well... Using Diomede's screen caps of Selina's settings I reproduced the tumbleweed in the plant editor, and found that it also "exploded". But I was able to isolate a setting that allowed me to create a functional plant that comes real close to Selina's. I found that the "Internode Length" setting in the Experts, Gen. 1 tab could not be set to 0.02 as in the original file, but needed to be no less than 0.03 to keep my tumbleweed functional.

So here's the result.

internode length.png
    697 x 607 - 192K
    Tumbleweed.png
    1024 x 768 - 569K
    Post edited by de3an on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798

yes

phew!

I still wish I knew why it's a problem on my computer.

edited March 2021

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

That internode length setting has caused me issues too and I'm on a PC. When I was trying to create a cypress tree in the other thread I started playing around with that setting and it crashed Carrara a couple of times.

• FONSECAFONSECA Posts: 471
    edited April 2018

Selina,

That 1960s "Outer Limits" episode that I mentioned beat you to it and has exploding tumbleweeds, frogs that dissolve in water, and flying boulders. No flying "kitchen sink" though or a flying Brinnen "wash bowl".

de3an,

Your tumblewed looks great and likes it's ready to pounce on someone. Odd that no one in 1950s Hollywood thought of using "radiation mutated" tumbleweeds from New Mexico atomic bomb tests rolling into Southwestern desert cities as a movie plot. Too busy making "giant bug" films.

Post edited by FONSECA on
    edited April 2018

The tumbleweeds are comin'

Tumbleweeds.png
    1024 x 768 - 500K
    Post edited by de3an on
    edited March 2021

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

That's the great thing about Carrara's replicators, there is hardly any overhead for huge numbers of instances. Great scene, De3an!

Thanks! It's just a doodle. I wanted to see how a single tumbleweed would look replicated.

Using the surface replicator's random rotations and scaling, it's actually kind of hard to tell that they are all copies of the same plant.

I have to say that I thought you had at least 2-3 variations in there.

de3an,

I will have to try that "replicator" ...

Does anyone remember if the old Japanese films "Yojimbo" and "Sanjuro" which took place in small towns in Japan that resembled somewhat the Wild West of the USA had tumbleweeds. I remember Toshiro Mifune, as the vagabond samurai, walking through an empty deserted town. There was a dust storm, and a dog trotting by with a severed human hand in it's mouth, but I don't remember tumbleweeds.

Japan is close enough to Siberia Russia to have received seeds of Russian Thislte by wind or birds, so who knows. Maybe a scene of samurai's hacking away at monster tumbleweeds, and/or gunslinger Cowboys fighting off hordes of deadly tumbleweeds in a Wild West Town complete with dust storm.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040

I know it has been resolved, but my iMac had no problem with the tumbleweed. I did follow Wendy's advice in the other thread and reduced smoothing to two. I also reduced the generations from 10 to 3.

video

edited March 2021

edited July 2018

That town has a real tumbleweed problem - it was like a low-budget version of Westworld! laugh

Post edited by PhilW on

And now for the Intermission and a cartoon featurette thrown in.

My 99 Cent Store version of Cryll meeting my animated Saguro Cactus and harrassed by a tumbleweed. This is the first completed animation I have made using Carrara and is nothing but an experiemnt and learning excercise. I have never made a completed animation before and it rendered rather quickly.

Even my Internet connection service is 99 Cent Store so I had to upload a zipped file, or the upload time would have taken till the next century as a video file. I am not posting this thing on Youtube, even with the comments turned off. It would be self induced character assassination. Ha, ha

zip
    zip
    cactus cryll tumbleweed animated 640 M.zip

laugh