Hexagon Pro???

larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
edited June 2013 in Hexagon Discussion

So looking at the marketing on the site I found a section that refers to Hexagon as "Hexagon Pro". Forgive me if this has been like this for a while and I just didn't notice, but why call it Hexagon Pro and then when you click on the link you go to Hexagon 2.5? Confusing!

Could be they just wanted all their tools to have pro in the title, but it's not cool LOL. Unless, well I'll leave speculation out of it. Doesn't do any good.

But to me a Pro Hexagon wouldn't crash on me every few seconds. That would be nice.

To see it yourself go to http://www.daz3d.com/products and click on modeling

hexagon_pro.jpg
451 x 415 - 61K
Post edited by larsmidnatt on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

It was mentioned by someone else a couple of weeks ago, don't know if there was any sense made of it all.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Yep, it just makes the page look pretty. to my mind slightly and unfortunately pathetic.

• graham jamesgraham james Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

Yes the pro version is the one that crashes every few seconds the standard version is the one that will not run at all.

• CostelloCostello Posts: 97
    edited December 1969

You mean I'm not the only one?

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

No, lots of us have some issues with it.

Helps to install it "not" in the main Program folders [Vista/W7 thing - don't know about W8].
    Helps to remove all texture images before importing in .obj files.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Thanks all. I might reinstall hexagon to see if i can get past all the crashes.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

Im on a mac and dont find theses crashes. sometimes hex chokes if i dont validate or use a tool incorrectly but otherwise works great

edited December 1969

Yes, validation/saving/using tools correctly all help keep Hexagon working.

However when the tool itself is making errors, further use of certain other tools will crash Hexagon.

Check for 'holes' after doing tessellation actions. Sometimes they are made and sometimes not. But if made they have to be welded before other actions are possible. I've had several cases wherein even the simple request to 'select one face' would crash the program "everytime". If one could find the open set of lines to fix great. If not one had to go back 'as many saves as necessary' to find a workable file.

edited December 1969

Last time I tried to use hexagon for more than just creating a morph it was to create a simple prop. I would create a box and splice it and crash the program every time. Only took a few clicks and boom, very easy to repeat.

edited December 1969

Last time I tried to use hexagon for more than just creating a morph it was to create a simple prop. I would create a box and splice it and crash the program every time. Only took a few clicks and boom, very easy to repeat.

Yup. It is persnickety about those matters.

On the cube I tend to make one looped tessellation twice, once for either direction.
    Then select each set alone and slide them to centre positions, and do an extract both sides.
    That usually works okay.

cubes.png
    467 x 426 - 14K
    edited December 1969

are you validating and collapsing the geometry other than that im stumped

edited December 1969

dot_bat said:
    are you validating and collapsing the geometry other than that im stumped

Yes and no. Haven't tried in a while but my first cut would crash it. So no time to validate anything. But I understand you need to validate between steps. At the time I was following a tutorial I found and was doing the same steps but without success.

Sometimes the first cut wouldn't crash but instead destroy the cube and add a ton of faces for no reason. Then it would crash.

Yup. It is persnickety about those matters.

On the cube I tend to make one looped tessellation twice, once for either direction.
    Then select each set alone and slide them to centre positions, and do an extract both sides.
    That usually works okay.

Thanks for the tip. I've got a lot of modeling experience, just not in Hexagon and when I try to give it a chance it spits at me and makes me sad.

edited December 1969

have you reset preferences, sometimes that helps or installing to a different location. good luck im out of suggestions

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

dot_bat said:
    Im on a mac and dont find theses crashes. sometimes hex chokes if i dont validate or use a tool incorrectly but otherwise works great

I'm on W7 and don't have heaps of crashes. The only problem I found is if I'm not validating for a long time when using something like the soften brush.

edited December 1969

dot_bat said:
    have you reset preferences, sometimes that helps or installing to a different location. good luck im out of suggestions

thx and no worries. I tried all the tips I found in one of the hexagon crash threads a while back. I just installed a ton of new content and probably won't be motivated to model anything for a good bit anyway...

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Windows and Mac issues:

Using Dynamic Geometry can be problematic. Make sure it is set to "No DG" for a while to see if that is influencing your crashes. Booleans, as expected since they are an issue in many 3d apps, can lead to crashes especially when used on the same object repeatedly.

I have had good results using the free version of netfabb to fix problems created by booleans. Once I get to the point where any further operations on the object will crash Hex, I export the object, fix it in netfabb, and bring it back into Hex and work on it until it crashes again, and then repeat the process. Note that this method is useful if you have not already done any texture work. Going through netfabb will wipe out your UVs or shading domains.

Windows specific issues:

If you are running Windows 32 bits and have 4Gb Ram, you can use LAA http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556 to allow Hexagon to use more memory (about 3Gb)

For Windows 64bits you can use the 4Gb Patch http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php to allow Hex to use about 3Gb of Ram

In both cases above, having more than 4Gb of Ram does not increase memory available to a single app beyond approx 3Gb. Running LAA or the 4Gb patch will reduce your crashes, but it won't eliminate them.

Graphics card issues, Win and Mac:

I have come across a few tips posted recently on the Hex forum about compatiblity with newer OpenGL cards. Unfortunately I don't have the links saved yet, but if you search for graphics card hopefully you will find them.

Hex requires OpenGL 2.0 or above, and while the newer card are backward compatible with OpenGL 2.0, there might be a setting or two in the card's control panel that could be changed to help eliminate some crashes.