Dimension3D and GenX2 Appreciation

Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
edited April 2018 in The Commons

I only recently found out that Dimension3D passed away.  The GenX2 plugin and add-ons are one of the most impressive plugin purchases I have made.  Disappointing that we will never get a Gen8 add-on now.  

RIP Dimension3D.  Thanks for such an awesome product and your contributions to the DAZ Community.

Just for fun... here are screenshots of all the cross generation characters in my Library.

GenX2-1.jpg
325 x 800 - 90K
GenX2-2.jpg
325 x 820 - 92K
GenX2-3.jpg
325 x 792 - 80K
GenX2-4.jpg
325 x 833 - 91K
GenX2-5.jpg
325 x 821 - 62K
Post edited by Geminii23 on

Comments

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
    edited April 2018

Geminii23, unfortunately your images are not showing in your post (above).

And, yes, the late, great Dimension3D's GenX series is a very handy tool. Here, for example, are Luke and Laura (Young Teens, generation 3) converted to Genesis 3 (generation 7):

G3_Luke_n_Laura-Yvorie.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by frankrblow on
  • Yeah, I was gutted when I learned about Ralf's passing. :( 

GenX is one of the very few utilities I absolutely swear by. I even keep a previous version of Daz on my computer, since it won't work (for me) in DS 4.10. It's thanks to him and his efforts, that a lot of older characters from previous generations, can get brand new life reborn into the Genesis line up to 3. Hell, the fact we'll never get one for Genesis 8 is a huge reason why I've opted to largely forego the current generation. 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

@Geminii23

It lookas though you removed the image thumbnails after you attached them.  The software needs the image attachment thumb to note where the image is stored.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

Wait, why won't Gen X work in 4.10?

• RKane_1 said:

???!!!

This warrants an investigation! Going to check now.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    Chohole said:

@Geminii23

It lookas though you removed the image thumbnails after you attached them.  The software needs the image attachment thumb to note where the image is stored.

Darn.  Sorry about that.  Will fix later.  Not near my computer right now.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,438

i keep hearing about these but if they dont work in 4.10 then its a no go...plus I have no idea which to buy or which are needed .

• AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726
    edited April 2018

It seems to be working fine for me. Dariofish shapes, G2F -> G3F.

GenX.png
    632 x 819 - 336K
    Post edited by AnotherUserName on
  • glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305

I have genx2 working in DS4.10.0.123beta. Manual install by coping the files from my DS4.8 folder to the DS beta folder, and I think I had to copy files from the [user/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/studio4]   folder to the corresponding beta folder as well.....

• glaseye said:

I have genx2 working in DS4.10.0.123beta. Manual install by coping the files from my DS4.8 folder to the DS beta folder, and I think I had to copy files from the [user/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/studio4]   folder to the corresponding beta folder as well.....

See, heres what I dont understand. Ive seen plenty of posts talking about how plug-ins dont work in each new version of Daz without re-installing them. Im in 4.10 release and all  my plug-ins seem fine. I have never had to re-install plug-ins. Actually LAMH once, but that was it.

• daveso said:

i keep hearing about these but if they dont work in 4.10 then its a no go...plus I have no idea which to buy or which are needed .

I think that you need this to start, https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x2 .That will let you transfer from M4/V4 to Genesis. Then you need this, https://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-2 , to go from Genesis to G2. And finally, https://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-3 , to transfer to G3. I believe you need all three of these to get it to work. Someone please correct me if wrong.

• AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726
    edited April 2018

Gia Tiziana, G2F converted to G3F + Bodybuilder details, 100%, Muscle Flex control, 100%, and some vascularity.

Gia.png
    633 x 819 - 465K
    Post edited by AnotherUserName on
  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

The two characters in the image I posted (Second post from top) were converted in Studio 4.10, following the normal instructions. The conversion was not perfect, but I've never had perfect results in Studio 4.9, either - by "not perfect" I mean minor joint problems, when using poses near limits, and some mouth distortion with some expression dials.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    RKane_1 said:

I dunno, the last time I used it was in 4.10 and it worked. Not with Genesis 8 of course, but worked.

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305
    glaseye said:

See, heres what I dont understand. Ive seen plenty of posts talking about how plug-ins dont work in each new version of Daz without re-installing them. Im in 4.10 release and all  my plug-ins seem fine. I have never had to re-install plug-ins. Actually LAMH once, but that was it.

AFAIK, if you've got both a 'normal' and a beta version installed (as I have) there might be a need for reinstalling certain plug-ins. (or so I was told here on good authority..... and certainly was true in my case.)

Yes, with previous DS updates (for example 4.7 to 4.8) all plugins worked fine after updating. However as of version 4.9, I didn't update my relaesed version anymore, just installed the newer beta versions....

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited April 2018

I can confirm that it does work in 4.10.0.123 64-bit for Mac OS.  I fixed my images now in original post so everyone can see how many presets I have created for G1, 2 and 3 characters.  Actually G1 and G2F would need second screenshots due to how many GenX morphs I have for those generations compared to the others.

It seems to be working fine for me. Dariofish shapes, G2F -> G3F.

I completely forgot about my DarioFish items.  Looks like I will need to jump back in and start upconverting all of those too.

Post edited by Geminii23 on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566
    edited April 2018

This G8 girl is mostly Giselle 6 and V4 Girl Next Door (GND) transferred using GenX to G3 from V4 and G2 and then to G8 with the old Singular Blues script

genxassasin.jpg
    1103 x 870 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on