ArtsyDragon's Haven

Comments

• ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 530
    edited May 2018

This is me pounding my head on the keyboard. Been trying for weeks now in my free time to do a particular celebrity morph for my own personal use and he is being so elusive. UGH!  I finally got the body the way I want to see it (not exact but good for me). The face, on the other hand ... 

Maybe it's time to look at taking a break again and try something else for a while.

Suggestions?

Post edited by ArtsyDragon on
  • 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282
    edited May 2018

I've feel your pain, I've been doing the same for a bit of fanart for weeks now. What I was doing was sending renders to a friend for her critical opinion (it is her story I'm going to illustrate). I began with Facegen then added dial spinning. When I thought I had got a good likeness in the viewport the iray render didn't look like it. :-( I started out using an HDRI and seemed to get on better when I switched to Painter's Lights. So try changing the lighting you are using. What I was doing was comparing renders and photos (sometimes side by side, some overlaid in Photoshop) and adjusting the dials, render and repeat. I hope I have got a passable likeness on the first character now but I am working on the second character, then I might go back to the first one again with fresh eyes. Inbetween all this I have set up two whole screens for the story converting obj and building a house with primatives, so taking a break isn't a bad idea either, ;-)

Oh and only using a front view will drive you nuts, try looking at 3/4 to see how it is going - there is a reason people say a full frontal face is the hardest thing to draw - wish I'd remembered that sooner ;-)

Post edited by 3Ddreamer on

Thanks for the advice @3Ddreamer!

• ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471
    edited May 2018
    illysArt said:

This is me pounding my head on the keyboard. Been trying for weeks now in my free time to do a particular celebrity morph for my own personal use and he is being so elusive. UGH!  I finally got the body the way I want to see it (not exact but good for me). The face, on the other hand ... 

Maybe it's time to look at taking a break again and try something else for a while.

Suggestions?

I sometimes find that putting the project I am working on away for a bit and trying different things sometimes makes me get a better feel in the long run.  It's a learning process.  You get a feel for what may and may not work.  As an aside, MS Paint may not work for what you are wanting to achieve.   

Paint.jpg
    683 x 1024 - 120K
    Post edited by ItsCeo on

LOL @ItsCEO, that's brilliant! :D Gave me a much needed chuckle.

Now, pass me the napkin because that is one heck of a body! Mmhmm.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    illysArt said:

LOL @ItsCEO, that's brilliant! :D Gave me a much needed chuckle.

Now, pass me the napkin because that is one heck of a body! Mmhmm.

Put a bag over his head...."snicker".    Sorry, I really just couldn't stop myself. 

And yes, sometimes you have to walk a way for a bit and work on something else.

edited May 2018

@IceDragonArt, I did step away and ended up making an image for the New User Challenge. Not sure if I can post it here as well as in that thread. It was cathartic.

Post edited by ArtsyDragon on

This is the fellow I am working on at the moment. Body is good (maybe needs one or two more little tweaks) .. head is elusive.

ummm ya.... the body is definitely good.....

I'm glad you agree, @IceDragonArt! Hopefully I can get some positive work done on his face this weekend. 

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957

Detailing on that one is very nicely done. Hope you are able to solve the head dilemma soon.

Thanks for the encouragement, @Wanderer. I had no power yesterday so hopefully can get something done today.

yes

Note: I am going to be away for a bit. I have a scheduled surgery coming. I'm not in a good frame of mind to indulge in my artwork right now. I should be back in a couple of weeks or so.

Everyone, keep being awesome. I learn from each and every one of you.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I wish you the best outcome for your surgery, with a speedy recovery.

Hugz.

Wishing you a quick and as pain free surgery as possible!

Best wishes for good procedure and speedy recovery. You'll be missed.

Thank you, to all of you. I'm told it's no big deal. I'm just having some anxiety about it. I appreciate your kind thoughts.

I hope all is well. Hang in there.

Thank you, @Wanderer. The surgery went without a hitch. I've just been very tired since. Hopefully, I'll be up and at my computer soon.

Glad to hear it went well!  Rest is the quickest way to heal, so listen to your body and rest as muc has you need to.

Hello @IceDragonArt,

I have been in my bed more than out of it. My voice is raspy still. Not sure if that will ever correct itself. I think it's time for bed again. I have to work in two days. Sleep time is now. :)

Sleep well!

So, the pathology from the surgery provided some less than optimal news. Another surgery is required. Not sure when that will be but the doc wants it ASAP (I think he said in the next week). I may be offline a bit longer than anticipated. I miss everyone's art and the conversations. I'll be back soon. Keep on doing what you love!

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

As said elsewehere Illy, you focus on getting yourself better and we will be here when you get back! *sends many hugs to you* 

@illysArt - Here are hopeful wishes for your speedy recovery and a glass raised in toast to your health. 

Hoping this next one will take care of things for you!  Hope to see you back soon.

• So after 2 surgeries, a low iodine diet for 2+ weeks and a mouthful of radioactive iodine, it looks like I'll be okay! We'll check it all in a year. I've started the thyroid hormone replacement therapy and am getting my energy back day by day. I started back to work yesterday and look forward to a great fall season.

I'm working on getting back into the swing of art.

Thank you to everyone to emailed, posted, or noted me support. This is a wonderful community much like the 'other' place where I also posted this. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

I am so glad you are doing better @illysArt!!

I hope it will not be long before we see some more amazing art from you!!

• Thank you. I'm still installing stuff on my laptop so I can get started on things. :)