V6, DAZ's most successful release?

1131415161719»

Comments

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Personally, I believe given all the problems with their software platform they should be focusing their efforts on addressing those issues before they start releasing figures with infinitesimally small benefits over the previous generation of figures. At some point they're going to have to address the problems with their platform or there will simply be nobody left using it to buy the content they make for that platform.
    Just...to note, you do realize that their modeling team and their software development team (and their store/forum team) are all different groups of people, right? They aren't fungible. Spending time developing a new figure doesn't impact their work on fixing problems in DAZ Studio, or interfere with making the store better and replacing the forums.

Now if one were to complain about Bryce vs. DAZ Studio vs. Carrara, I'd be less sure that they're different teams...probably, but I just don't know.

-- Morgan

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

...one can always shift resources to where the needs are. I've had to do that for seventeen years in with the last company I worked for.

That is what Multi Tasking is all about.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    ...Me too. There was a item that was offered as a freebie a few years back that was pulled from the store because of copyright violations, but that's still in my download list. So if that is still there and they didn't own it, I kind of find it hard to believe the pulled something they did own from the download list.

Just a clarification on this. None of the items I got from the old 'freebie' section are in my list. Morphing Python is an example. I got it from the freebie section and bought the skins.. now only the skins show up in my list.

It was a Weekly Freebie which was available for everybody - a motorbike for Bryce called Indian Summer:
    http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=1264745#1264745

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Like Sara (download link was only available in the forums), the downloads from the old weekly free archives never became part of download history.

The Morphing Python was moved to the store a couple of years ago. It was free for a short time. If you want it in your account history, you will have to purchase it.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...one can always shift resources to where the needs are. I've had to do that for seventeen years in with the last company I worked for.

That is what Multi Tasking is all about.

So...when one of the coders called in sick, you sent the cook from the cafeteria to help out? O_o

I just mean, not that I'm an expert on that sort of thing, but I doubt that someone who models figures can really replace a webdesigner :/

edited December 1969

...well not that extreme, where I worked, but a number of my fellow employees were fairly well crosstrained to be able to handle a number of different jobs withing a certain scope. Heck we'd even have people from sales and admin helping us bust out projects on the production floor.

Most content creation is handled by PAs not by Daz Development Staff. If they are that short handed, then maybe they need to bring some new people in. The alternative would be to either just discontinue them (applications other than Daz Studio) or sell them to another firm who have the staff resources to take on updating them.

...and I'm still somewhat mystified why Daz is brokering Vue Frontier which not only competes with Bryce but has no bridge to any of the other Daz applications and can only be upgraded (with more modules) though a competing store.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Not much has been done with Bryce since the update to 7.1. Last official info I had on Bryce was that like Hex, DAZ was not actively working on either application.

DAZ has brokered "competing" software before. The previous version of Vue Frontier was in the Cornucopia 3D catalog. Back when they acquired Carrara and Hex, DAZ brokered P6 for a short time.

edited December 1969

...but when they acquired Eovia Daz Studio 1.0 had only been recently released (which was also offered free and generated 0$ revenue by itself). As Daz was still considered primarily as a source for Poser content at the time it actually made sense to broker the application most of their customer base was using. Daz 1.0 was still a "curiosity" to many so there was seemingly little conflict, at the time.

However as you mention all work on Bryce has pretty much been suspended (and really little to none has been done on Hexagon since they acquired it save for the bridge with Daz Studio) yet they are brokering a version of Vue that is easily upgradable through E-on/Cornucopia which also directly competes against Bryce and has little in common with the majority of the content sold here while being more compatible with Poser for importing figures.

Personally I like Bryce, I wish they'd upgrade it to 64 bit support so one can use their entire system's resources for rendering instead of a paltry 2GB and improve the stability of the Daz to Bryce Bridge (maybe even make it two way so we can import a basic solid wireframe of scenery created in Bryce into Daz, to facilitate improved posing/set up of characters in the scene, then send it all back to Bryce for materials editing and rendering).