Front doorstep .... and props

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
edited April 2018 in Product Suggestions

I'm looking for items to go on the front porch... IE: a wrapped newspaper, a welcome mat... a doorstep environment as well of course

Post edited by Serene Night on

Comments

• Americans get their newspapers wrapped? We tend to get ours shoved through the letterbox, in sections at the weekend.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563

Americans get their newspapers wrapped? We tend to get ours shoved through the letterbox, in sections at the weekend.

yep, I delivered papers when in high school and I just tossed them in the yard, near the front door. I don't know anyone with a letterbox opening

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

When it going to rain or snow they are wrapped to avoid getting damp since ours are delivered by car and tossed out the window in the vague direction of your driveway. Without wrap they could get soaked or destroyed if snow or rainy. In summer they are tossed with just a rubber band holding them.

• When it going to rain or snow they are wrapped to avoid getting damp since ours are delivered by car and tossed out the window in the vague direction of your driveway. Without wrap they could get soaked or destroyed if snow or rainy. In summer they are tossed with just a rubber band holding them.

They no longer provide a proper newspaper box in your area? Unless it was a different driver, when I was getting it regularly, I hardly ever found it on the ground in the plastic.

No. They only do the toss method in my area.

I don't think so many people read the paper anymore... At least in my neighborhood there are only 2-3 deliveries in our little cul-de-sac. crying

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

As a former paper boy from back in the days when 12 year olds got on bikes and rode the papers around, I can attest that we had plastic bags that a folded paper would fit in and we used them on two different occasions: inclement weather to avoid the paper getting ruined AND for sunday papers which were 5x the size due to all the advertising inserts, rubber bands just wouldn't fit. Did I mention that I hated lugging the sunday deliveries around?  Yeah, that stunk. Saturday was awesome though, thinnest papers of the week!

I don't know how 12 years olds get money now, all the paper routes were taken over by people in cars.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

LOL. no wonder the traditional newspapers and big news stations are going to pay portals. I haven't seen an actual newspaper box in decades and they used to be very commonplace in even rural areas. Nowadays most people I know use the FB feeds of actual law enforcement agencies combined with the FB feeds of local TV stations.

We still buy the local paper and the wall street journal everyday but I only have time to read the regular paper (at least what interests me in it) in the morning before work. The wall street journal my mom loves to read and some of the non political articles are intriguing,

•  

I don't know how 12 years olds get money now, all the paper routes were taken over by people in cars.

From their parents.  Can kids even mow lawns anymore?  Do kids even go outside anymore...LOL?

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

Over the years since we bought our house I've had two different papers delivered.  Each time we had a box, right next to the mail box.  One was the Boston Globe, the other was more locally focused.  The delivery person couldn't seem to understand that the paper goes in the box.  I called and threatened to cancel if I found it on the ground one more time.  I did.  The second one also had a box.  And the delivery person also couldn't seem to get it in the box.  when it was found on the ground, in the gutter, in a plastic bag that was useless because it was in the gutter in pouring rain, that was it...I'd had it!  I cancelled it and never have gotten a newspaper again!  Many of them, even the local ones, now have online versions...but from what I can tell, they insist that you purchase the physical paper and often pay a little more to get the digital version.  Nope!!!

You know, I could understand a teenager not getting it right, but an adult?   angry

Dana

• DanaTA said:

Over the years since we bought our house I've had two different papers delivered.  Each time we had a box, right next to the mail box.  One was the Boston Globe, the other was more locally focused.  The delivery person couldn't seem to understand that the paper goes in the box.  I called and threatened to cancel if I found it on the ground one more time.  I did.  The second one also had a box.  And the delivery person also couldn't seem to get it in the box.  when it was found on the ground, in the gutter, in a plastic bag that was useless because it was in the gutter in pouring rain, that was it...I'd had it!  I cancelled it and never have gotten a newspaper again!  Many of them, even the local ones, now have online versions...but from what I can tell, they insist that you purchase the physical paper and often pay a little more to get the digital version.  Nope!!!

You know, I could understand a teenager not getting it right, but an adult?   angry

Dana

Actually, I can; it takes a lot of practice to drive a left hand drive car from the passenger seat and be able to work the windows to keep as much of the cold and wet outside as possible.

My sister delivers  papers for quite sometime. They have to get up extremely early and assemble the papers and wrap them if it is wet. Then she had to drive around while still dark and throw them through the window.  While remaining in the vehicle.

I remember when I was working as a busboy for $3.35 an hour and staying with my oldest brother and him spending money on things like new 'rent-to-own' furniture and the like and then telling me that I had to pay for it! I'm like I'm already walking for miles to work and back because I can't afford a car that runs more than two weeks. LOL, wasn't long before I was searching for a extra job and doing an early morning wrap & deliver newspaper gig was quickly ruled out as not even as good as $3.35 an hour and no tips. As if the content of the newspapers wasn't abusive enough already, media outlets want to abuse and insult the delivery people with excessive work, bad hours, and low pay and the receivers of the newspapers with wet papers and opinion puffery.

It’s not even a full days pay. You get to Work at 3-4 fold and band the papers if you are lucky you don’t bag them making sure that you also put in the extra paper or flyers. You also have to bag other people’s if someone is sick or has quit. Then you load them into your own vehicle and deliver them having to remember any new customers on the route. If someone is ill you do their route as well. After that you go home around 7 am either to start a second job or sleep for a while.  You are reimbursed for mileage but still using your own car and inhaling the fumes of printer ink right off the press.

Someone also remains behind to deliver the papers again for customers who report theirs missing or damaged. 

My sister does this because she is a bit of a night owl and her job as a real estate agent is on commission and not full time. She needed extra money. Even so it would disrupt your sleep and it’s onlu part time.

Newspapers get all the carbony ink all over your skin & clothing too, ruining them.