Scaled figures behave differently in Poser 6 and 2014

Some figures have scaled body parts and act normally in poser 6. I want to use them in poser 2014(with genesis figures which are not supported by poser 6), but they act in the wrong way. Is there a way to make them behave in they do in poser 6?

The attached images are the same figure in 2014 and in 6.

2014.jpg
640 x 720 - 78K
6.png
721 x 721 - 207K

Comments

  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,345

    That figure doesn't look familiar to me. Is the clothing part of the figure, or conforming?  If conforming, try checking 'Match end points' and/or 'include scales' in the Properties tab of the body actor of the clothing.

  • reko34reko34 Posts: 94
    WandW said:

    That figure doesn't look familiar to me. Is the clothing part of the figure, or conforming?  If conforming, try checking 'Match end points' and/or 'include scales' in the Properties tab of the body actor of the clothing.

    It's a simple figure I exported from a game, no conforming. The bones I created works well with scaled body parts in poser 6 but not in 2014. And the reason I have to use 2014 is I want a genesis figure in the same scene.

  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,345

    Hmmmm...How scaling works was changed in Poser 9 SR3 to allow single-axis scaling to work properly (such as scaling a leg in y only to change the length), but I've never had any issues with older figures.  However, my first version of Poser was Poser 7, which came out a dozen years ago.. 

    It looks like the joint zone is not scaling somehow; did you scale the figure in Poser 6?  If so, you might try bringing the unscaled figure into PP2014 and applying the needed scales to a limb and see if it bends better. 

  • reko34reko34 Posts: 94
    WandW said:

    Hmmmm...How scaling works was changed in Poser 9 SR3 to allow single-axis scaling to work properly (such as scaling a leg in y only to change the length), but I've never had any issues with older figures.  However, my first version of Poser was Poser 7, which came out a dozen years ago.. 

    It looks like the joint zone is not scaling somehow; did you scale the figure in Poser 6?  If so, you might try bringing the unscaled figure into PP2014 and applying the needed scales to a limb and see if it bends better. 

    I tried as you suggested and it still doesn't work for my game figures. But scaled older daz figure are not so terrible. Maybe poser 6 is more tolerant with the mistake in my setup.

    Back to poser 6 and M3V3, all body parts can scale in three axis separately. Newer figures hide them. I doubt what exactly did poser change about scaling.

  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,345

    If you scroll down to near the bottom to the picture of K4 in this thread there is a nice illustration of the distortion with single axis scaling in older Poser versions:

    https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2852788&page_number=2

    If the scale dials are hidden in a cr2, they can be unhdden using this free script by the late Ralf Sesseler:

    http://d3d.sesseler.de/index.php?software=poserpython&product=unhide_dials

     

    I would ask this question in the Smith Micro Poser Forum, as thare is a lot of rigging expertise there...

    https://forum.smithmicro.com/category/9/poser

     

     

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 9,030
    edited April 2018
    WandW said:

    Hmmmm...How scaling works was changed in Poser 9 SR3 to allow single-axis scaling to work properly (such as scaling a leg in y only to change the length), but I've never had any issues with older figures.  However, my first version of Poser was Poser 7, which came out a dozen years ago.. 

    It looks like the joint zone is not scaling somehow; did you scale the figure in Poser 6?  If so, you might try bringing the unscaled figure into PP2014 and applying the needed scales to a limb and see if it bends better. 

    I tried as you suggested and it still doesn't work for my game figures. But scaled older daz figure are not so terrible. Maybe poser 6 is more tolerant with the mistake in my setup.

    Back to poser 6 and M3V3, all body parts can scale in three axis separately. Newer figures hide them. I doubt what exactly did poser change about scaling.

    From memory, the main problem in older versions of Poser was that when you used different scaling on one axis it didn't adjust the joint centers properly, so when you used rotation the bone didn't bend at the right place. It worked fine when using uniform scaling along the 3 axes.

    There was also a difference with scaling propagation IIRC.

    Post edited by Leana on
  • reko34reko34 Posts: 94

    I found the script affecting the scaling problem I met, for example:

      smoothScaleX rForeArm_smooX
       {
       name rForeArm_scaleX
       initValue 0
       hidden 1
       forceLimits 0
       min -100000
       max 100000
       trackingScale 1
       keys
        {
        static  0
        k  0  0
        }
       interpStyleLocked 0
       smoothZones -100 -99 -0.413 -0.331
       otherActor rForeArm:1
       calcWeights
       }
     

    Since such script can be deleted in poser 6, I never found the use of it. So I didn't mind to add them to the cr2 files I created for my figures. And the values for the smoothzones don't really matter for low-polygons.

  • reko34reko34 Posts: 94
    WandW said:

    If you scroll down to near the bottom to the picture of K4 in this thread there is a nice illustration of the distortion with single axis scaling in older Poser versions:

    https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2852788&page_number=2

    If the scale dials are hidden in a cr2, they can be unhdden using this free script by the late Ralf Sesseler:

    http://d3d.sesseler.de/index.php?software=poserpython&product=unhide_dials

     

    I would ask this question in the Smith Micro Poser Forum, as thare is a lot of rigging expertise there...

    https://forum.smithmicro.com/category/9/poser

     

     

    Thanks for the advice. You reminded me of checking older daz figures and then their scripts so I found the cause now.

    I tried unhide the single scaling by editing cr2 files but they work terribly. That's why they are hidden I think.

    I also posted my questions in that forum and got 0 replies.

Sign In or Register to comment.