The Midget's works in progress.

13»

Comments

• themidgetthemidget Posts: 287
    themidget said:
    Wanderer said:

Hmmm.... Sorry @themidget. I know next to nothing about Blender. I'm doing good if I can use it to convert a blend file to obj or something I can use. Good luck with getting a fix on it.

The render was in Daz, the scarf and brooch were made in Blender.

They look like reflections of light sources.

Would that happen with the default lighting?  I haven't added any lights yet.

Had you adjusted the surface settings? Imported OBJs tend to come in pretty shiny, though I'm not sure they'd do that with the default RuinsHDR.

I have played with the surface settings.  I can look again at the scarf surface settings but that doesn't explain the tiny speckles on the bodysuit.  I'll check again anyway.

The scarf looks fine now that I have changed to a matte model and also added a little ambient light.  Now to try and deal with the tiny specks.yes

I had used the reflections slider to create a semi metallic look to the body suit and forgotten about it.  Switching those off cured the problem.smiley

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957
    themidget said:

I had used the reflections slider to create a semi metallic look to the body suit and forgotten about it.  Switching those off cured the problem.smiley

So glad you fixed it! That's great.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited May 2018

I had a similar problem with white flecks and it turned out to be the result of a metalic object in the same scene.  Now that is the first thing I check when I see flecks like that.  

Have to add my two cents on the waistcoat vs vest discussion.  As an American, I thought it was especially funny to watch a British comedian compare the language on both sides of the pond.  His general point was that Americans had to have the explanation in the word so we wouldn't misuse things.  An example he used was British bin vs American Wastepaperbasket.  The joke was that Americans wouldn't know what went in the bin and had to be told not to put the paper in there unless it was waste.  Glad to see an example in which our British buddies need the instructions, such as waistcoat.  Wouldn't want them wearing it on their shin.  laugh 

Post edited by Diomede on
    Diomede said:

I had a similar problem with white flecks and it turned out to be the result of a metalic object in the same scene.  Now that is the first thing I check when I see flecks like that.  

Have to add my two cents on the waistcoat vs vest discussion.  As an American, I thought it was especially funny to watch a British comedian compare the language on both sides of the pond.  His general point was that Americans had to have the explanation in the word so we wouldn't misuse things.  An example he used was British bin vs American Wastepaperbasket.  The joke was that Americans wouldn't know what went in the bin and had to be told not to put the paper in there unless it was waste.  Glad to see an example in which our British buddies need the instructions, such as waistcoat.  Wouldn't want them wearing it on their shin.  laugh 

I'm often having a dig at American English.  I shouldn't really - I have family in D.C. but I just can't resist itdevilwink

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Hey themidget -

You've got some really interesting ideas on alien characters I see.  I haven't played with Blender yet, so you're ahead of me there.  

I've learned a lot by deconstructing how the PA's create their characters.  Take a look at the various maps in Photoshop/Gimp.  I have switched maps around to create my own.  It's OK as long as I don't sell them or give them away free.  Also, I highly recommend the Skin Shading Essentials tutorial and Ultimate Iray Skin Manager bundle by V3Digitimes.  She really knows her stuff and you get in-depth knowledge of Iray surfaces which will help you not only with figures but objects as well. 

https://www.daz3d.com/skin-shading-bundle

dracorn said:

Hey themidget -

You've got some really interesting ideas on alien characters I see.  I haven't played with Blender yet, so you're ahead of me there.  

I've learned a lot by deconstructing how the PA's create their characters.  Take a look at the various maps in Photoshop/Gimp.  I have switched maps around to create my own.  It's OK as long as I don't sell them or give them away free.  Also, I highly recommend the Skin Shading Essentials tutorial and Ultimate Iray Skin Manager bundle by V3Digitimes.  She really knows her stuff and you get in-depth knowledge of Iray surfaces which will help you not only with figures but objects as well. 

https://www.daz3d.com/skin-shading-bundle

Thank you for the advice and the link.  Unfortunately I am in no financial position to buy anything yet but it's useful info for the future.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited May 2018

Yeah, I know how that feels.  My phone just died - but I have to hold off getting a new one until my finances stabilize.  Hopefully that should be in a few weeks.  Fortunately, I'm not dependent on my phone, but it's darned inconvenient once you've gotten used to having one.

There's always the option of asking for a Daz gift card for a birthday or Christmas gift.

Post edited by dracorn on
    dracorn said:

Yeah, I know how that feels.  My phone just died - but I have to hold off getting a new one until my finances stabilize.  Hopefully that should be in a few weeks.  Fortunately, I'm not dependent on my phone, but it's darned inconvenient once you've gotten used to having one.

There's always the option of asking for a Daz gift card for a birthday or Christmas gift.

Aaaargh!  My birthday was last month and I didn't think of that.  Cool idea for Christmas though.yessmiley

edited April 2019

Tried to delete this post.

Post edited by themidget on