Clear crisp renders in Iray... Is it even possible?

I cut my teeth on Bryce and have always marvelled at the sharp clear realistic renders...I'd likre to have that in my Iray renders but its not happening, anywhere there is low light its grainy. My interpetatiom is that sharper resolution creates sharper images. I'm not up on the mechanics of non-Bryce render terminology (sampling and all that) but I'd like to know which settings to jack to get better looking images. I have (in desperation) pushed "render quality" to 5 million with no discernable difference. Honestly my Bryce renders look much better for many of its DAZ originals that are supposed to look better in its own environment first LOL Any ideas? 

This is a scene I imported and rendered in Bryce... why can't Iray handle such scenes as cleanly?

Ultimo PARADISE.jpg
3600 x 2700 - 6M

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

It probably isn't more render quality you need, it's more light — shadowy parts of your scene will need more render processing than brightly lit parts. Try this; turn your lights up (use the Luminous Flux dial, not Intensity) then go into the Render Settings/Tone Mapping and adjust the camera-type controls to bring the visible brightness back down again.

Note that if you're using an environment light, the dial you need to fiddle with is Environment Intensity.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

That render is clear but the light & compisition isn't suitable.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Post a screen grab of your render settings.