Should I upgrade my GPU?

VadisVadis Posts: 15

Hey. I barely managed to switch my old GTX670 for a GTX1060 6 GB a couple months ago, which is almost perfectly fine for most games, but I once again feel like a cripple in DAZ.

Surely, it renders twice as fast, but still it is a torment to do any changes in Iray viewport preview, and even Texture Shaded viewport is painfully slow sometimes.

Will I get a REALLY noticeable improvement if I squeeze every available $$$  to upgrade once again to a 1080? The main concern is the speed of Iray viewport; I care much less about the actual rendering time.

Thanks!

Comments

• If the Texture Sahded view is slow it may be worth checking other things, such as the Display Optimisation settings in Edit>Preferences>Interface tab. For the Iray preview, look at Draw Settings - there may be things you can adjust there to enhance performance (at the expense of a less exact match with the final render). Your current card is already way ahead of mine, so I really can't comment on the possible benefits of a further upgrade (or adding a second card) - it might help to describe the type of scene you are building.

• I've had a 1060 before and upgraded to a 1080ti and it was a huge improvment in render times.
    I bought it when it was relatvly cheap, now the priceses for GPU's are redicoulos. There are 2080 and 2060 GPU's from nvida coming out this year so I'd wait a bit.

• VadisVadis Posts: 15
    edited March 2018

Thanks for your replies! 

To be clear, in the scenes such as a room with props and 2 or 3 models, some with advanced hair (scene A), the Texture Shaded view "runs" at 1-3 fps and Iray view builds that scene in about 2 minutes; with additional 10-30 seconds to reflect a new change. 

For one figure with a simple hair and no environment (scene B), Iray view builds in seconds. 

The question is, would the scene A run at 30 fps and Iray view build in anything close to a real-time when using a powerhouse like a 1080 or 1080Ti, or it will be roughly the same struggle, just a bit less of it?   

Post edited by Vadis on
  • For me it takes some time too with a 1080ti having 32 GB RAM and a 1800x CPU when I have an interior and 2 people in it. I'd say it takes like a minute when I click iray preview mode.

As Richard Haseltine said setting the display optimisation to best or better will probably help with the texture shaded lag.

• VadisVadis Posts: 15

For me it takes some time too with a 1080ti having 32 GB RAM and a 1800x CPU when I have an interior and 2 people in it. I'd say it takes like a minute when I click iray preview mode.

Thanks a lot, priceless info!

As Richard Haseltine said setting the display optimisation to best or better will probably help with the texture shaded lag.

Thanks guys, will do that right after my render finishes laugh

• BradmcBradmc Posts: 35
    I would wait until gpu prices stabilize which will be at the end of the year according to nvidia. It is simply not worth it to upgrade at the current prices unless money is no object. I have a 1070 and a Ryzen 1700x and working in iray view is also painful. Takes about 30 seconds to load and 30 seconds again if you add a prop. Moving the camera is a grainy choppy mess. I will parrot the poster above and suggest turning optimization to best. Also hide anything in the scene you aren't working on until you are ready to render.