Clothes appear as a grey box

I bought some clothes that installed alright. But when i load it to a figure it comes as some grey cube and if i try to add material the figure dissapears.
Anybody have a clue what could be wrong?? It seems all files are in the correct folders...

Comments

• IllidanstormIllidanstorm Posts: 655
    edited March 2018

It usually means that the .dsf files of the clothes that contain the geometry can not be found. Do you get any error message when you try to load it?

Post edited by Illidanstorm on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,992

What product do you have the problem with? Are you certain that you bought the clothing and not just a texture pack?

Does DAZ Studio look into the same folders that you have specified for your content? Also, did you install manually or with DIM?

• My 3D SpinMy 3D Spin Posts: 600
    BeeMKay said:

What product do you have the problem with? Are you certain that you bought the clothing and not just a texture pack?

Does DAZ Studio look into the same folders that you have specified for your content? Also, did you install manually or with DIM?

Its the Sexy Skinz - Boudoir for Genesis 8 Female(s) and Genesis 3 Female(s) and i installed it with DIM. there are no error messages when i try to load.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,946

That product uses geometry shells, so it shouldn't be running into the usual reason for 'grey boxes' (missing geometry definitions).  What version of Daz Studio are you using?  Can you create geometry shells manually on a figure?  Do you have the (correct) figure selected when using the product?

SimonJM said:

That product uses geometry shells, so it shouldn't be running into the usual reason for 'grey boxes' (missing geometry definitions).  What version of Daz Studio are you using?  Can you create geometry shells manually on a figure?  Do you have the (correct) figure selected when using the product?
    Im using 4.10 and before 4.9. I only tried it with Genesis 8 and G3. How do you create geometry shells manually?

edited April 2018

I'm out at teh moment, using a little laptop that is on last ergs of battery - I've got the product and it's installed via DIM, like yours, so will reply and test when I'm back home. Soon, but not in a DAZ sense cheeky

From memory, select an object, then Create> New geometry shell

Post edited by SimonJM on

Ok, now I'm back ...

You need to create a Geometry shell first (which is why your figure dissapears when you apply a material!).  With the G3F or G8F selected, eitehr use Create> New Geometry shell ... (from the menu) or use the icon on toolbar ((a grey cube with white faces and a single + sign to top left, if it's available).  Once you have doe that you can apply teh 'base shader from the Materials> Iray> Wardobe  entries - use the 'Apply first option).

Or, you can just go starighht to that folder (with the G2/G8F selected and double-click the Attachment option in that folder.  That will do all the above steps for you in one go.

Once you are that stage use the option(s) in the Materials> Wardobe folder to pick the style you wish,  Then with the shell still selected ensure you also go to surfaces and select the geoshell there (the figure will then look to be outlined in yellow) and you wil then be able to add the colours via teh Shaders> Iray> Fabrix options.

SimonJM said:

Ok, now I'm back ...

You need to create a Geometry shell first (which is why your figure dissapears when you apply a material!).  With the G3F or G8F selected, eitehr use Create> New Geometry shell ... (from the menu) or use the icon on toolbar ((a grey cube with white faces and a single + sign to top left, if it's available).  Once you have doe that you can apply teh 'base shader from the Materials> Iray> Wardobe  entries - use the 'Apply first option).

Or, you can just go starighht to that folder (with the G2/G8F selected and double-click the Attachment option in that folder.  That will do all the above steps for you in one go.
    ​Thanks for your help. I finaly got it to work after 3 months. But a complicated way to dress a doll......

Once you are that stage use the option(s) in the Materials> Wardobe folder to pick the style you wish,  Then with the shell still selected ensure you also go to surfaces and select the geoshell there (the figure will then look to be outlined in yellow) and you wil then be able to add the colours via teh Shaders> Iray> Fabrix options.

SimonJM said:

Ok, now I'm back ...

​Thanks for your help. I finaly got it to work after 3 months. But a complicated way to dress a doll......

​Thank you for your help. I got it working. But awful complicated way to dress a figure. And it dosent look that good in the end anyway....

Glad you got it to work.  The reason it is as complex as it is is down, partly to the use of shaders which require an object and the surface to be selected before they will apply.  Think of the geoshell as just being another item of clothing, that just happens to start off as an whole body shrink-wrap!  The material settings (that allow the design to be set) will use Cutout Opcaity to pick out the actual shape/style.  In the past items like this used the Layered Image Editor ot overlay teh image of the clothing on the figure, but both give the impression of (usually) lingerie under clothing without the hassle of the lingerie poking through as it clings to the actual figure.

SimonJM said:

Glad you got it to work.  The reason it is as complex as it is is down, partly to the use of shaders which require an object and the surface to be selected before they will apply.  Think of the geoshell as just being another item of clothing, that just happens to start off as an whole body shrink-wrap!  The material settings (that allow the design to be set) will use Cutout Opcaity to pick out the actual shape/style.  In the past items like this used the Layered Image Editor ot overlay teh image of the clothing on the figure, but both give the impression of (usually) lingerie under clothing without the hassle of the lingerie poking through as it clings to the actual figure.

Hi again
    I tried a render with the clothes and with a figure that has beutiful brown skin. I did one render without the shell and clothing and 
    this is what happen when the Geoshell was loaded. Any explanation?  

See pic.

test.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 145K