new and dumb questions

2»

Comments

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

I could not find shadow class space fighter everything else is here

Actually I'm not sure the Olympus Mons Hanger has the Bryce Companion File. It did however replace the original Olympus Mons product. That one I bought when it was still called just "Olympus Mons"

• edited December 1969

"Dumb questions". Oh good, a forum for me!
    When I bought my new computer in 2010, all my software had to be re-installed; I'm just getting around to Bryce. The most current files I have are Bryce_7.1.0.74_Win32 and BryceContent_7.0.0.21_Win, both from 12/24/2010. Are those the most recent files? I have Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit; is there a 64-bit version? Have the earlier content bonus packs been integrated into the most recent content file?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

"Dumb questions". Oh good, a forum for me!
    When I bought my new computer in 2010, all my software had to be re-installed; I'm just getting around to Bryce. The most current files I have are Bryce_7.1.0.74_Win32 and BryceContent_7.0.0.21_Win, both from 12/24/2010. Are those the most recent files? I have Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit; is there a 64-bit version? Have the earlier content bonus packs been integrated into the most recent content file?

Thanks in advance for any help.

7.1.0.109 is the most recent Bryce version, go ahead and re-download it from your account and you should get the latest. There is no 64-bit version.
    Somebody else will have to answer the content question, I've lost track of it.
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,152
    edited December 1969

The Bryce Content you're having is the most recent one. If your computer is 64-bit and has at least 4 GB of memory, consider making Bryce large address aware. That doesn't make it 64-bit, but the 2 GB limit is at least extended to around 3.2 to 3.5 GB.

• blibertyblabblibertyblab Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

I have a whole slew of dumb questions.

#1. Using DIM to install stuff, do we use the address for Bryce [drop down from the little gear icon: applications tab] of where Bryce itself is installed, (program files x86), or where Bryce CONTENT is installed, (users\public\documents etc.)? I currently have the program files x86 addy listed in the D I M. Is my stuff getting installed correctly? I can find the obj files for Cloud City masters (but not the lessons) from w/i Bryce; however, I cannot find any of the files from EPIC scifi space station const. kit nor any files from the PSI city sampler and etc. Although I can, naturally, find them on my computer I cannot find them in Bryce. This leads to even dumber question # 2.

#2. How do you get Bryce to open obp files? I can see them right there on my computer but when I tell Windows to open them using Bryce... well, I learned THAT isn't how to get Bryce to recognize them! [I suspect I might win a dumbest question ever award with this question once I learn the answer].

#3. When I click the scene files from the space station const kit, they open beautifully in Bryce with a caveat: all I see are asteroids! Where are the bits & pieces of space station that make up this kit? (I know these questions are dumb but it's your fault for placing a DUMB QUESTIONS thread right there in front too tempting to resist). I probably should change the address in question # 1, discover that, miraculously everything will just appear with all the other content, widgets trees and such... which would solve question #2 and question #3... sigh.

#4. Bryce companion files? How are they made? I can make poser companion files. How do I make them for Bryce?

#5. Is there an SDK for Bryce? Can an idiot like me download it? It occurs to me that, using (free open source) mingw for the C++ compiler, using (free open source) QT creator for an IDE, loading the also free open source libraries of QT 5 (which includes an already built particle engine that could expand Bryce's) and Bullet Physics library, likewise C++ open source... Why wait for the people at DAZ?

#6 Had enough DUMB questions out of me already? <<--- pretty please don't answer this question first! :)</p>

edited December 1969

#1. Using DIM to install stuff, do we use the address for Bryce [drop down from the little gear icon: applications tab] of where Bryce itself is installed, (program files x86), or where Bryce CONTENT is installed, (users\public\documents etc.)? I currently have the program files x86 addy listed in the D I M. Is my stuff getting installed correctly? I can find the obj files for Cloud City masters (but not the lessons) from w/i Bryce; however, I cannot find any of the files from EPIC scifi space station const. kit nor any files from the PSI city sampler and etc. Although I can, naturally, find them on my computer I cannot find them in Bryce. This leads to even dumber question # 2.
    Bryce content can be stored anywhere provided you find it.

#2. How do you get Bryce to open obp files? I can see them right there on my computer but when I tell Windows to open them using Bryce... well, I learned THAT isn't how to get Bryce to recognize them! [I suspect I might win a dumbest question ever award with this question once I learn the answer].
    From Bryce, open the Objects library and Import.

#3. When I click the scene files from the space station const kit, they open beautifully in Bryce with a caveat: all I see are asteroids! Where are the bits & pieces of space station that make up this kit? (I know these questions are dumb but it's your fault for placing a DUMB QUESTIONS thread right there in front too tempting to resist). I probably should change the address in question # 1, discover that, miraculously everything will just appear with all the other content, widgets trees and such... which would solve question #2 and question #3... sigh.
    I don't know this product. I suggest that you move the camera around or looking down on the scene (camera from top). If anything is there, you should see it.

#4. Bryce companion files? How are they made? I can make poser companion files. How do I make them for Bryce?

Create a scene and put things in it, then save the Bryce file.

#5. Is there an SDK for Bryce? Can an idiot like me download it? It occurs to me that, using (free open source) mingw for the C++ compiler, using (free open source) QT creator for an IDE, loading the also free open source libraries of QT 5 (which includes an already built particle engine that could expand Bryce's) and Bullet Physics library, likewise C++ open source... Why wait for the people at DAZ?

None. A large part of Bryce is written in Axiom.

#6 Had enough DUMB questions out of me already? <<--- pretty please don't answer this question first! :)</div>
    I skip this one because there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers.

To answer all further questions about where Bryce content belongs, get this PDF. There is a lot more information on my website (see sig).

• blibertyblabblibertyblab Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Horo, for your very helpful answers. I'm on page 7 of your pdf, found where those obp files should be. Now I can access them from w/i Bryce! Thanks bunches for your time too.

About no SDK: how terribly unfortunate.

edited December 1969

Great! Good to hear that I could help.