If Daz would finally bring out Carrara 9...

Comments

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    MerKhrys said:

most of the merit for a software to stay alive is due to recurring reels made by (or thanks to) its community; if you don't show what it is capable of doing you can't expect to persuade a software house to further develop it or attract others; YT or vimeo or even an effective gallery constantly updated can make the difference between a software life or death

I think that there is a great deal of truth to your comment.  In lieu of a new highlight reel, which nobody seems to have the time to plan and create, I think that our Carrara Challenge is very important for showing the variety of what Carrara can do.  I wish that every Carrara artist would enter at least one image every Challenge.  Alas, I am probably in the minority here.. :(

People are upset that Daz isn't doing enough.  But we can do a lot ourselves, if we have the will.

That is right, but the "software house", Daz, also has to encourage it's users to do so, offer some support, or at least say something from time to time.

There is absolutely no official information in nearly FIVE years. And even almost none non official. Only thing is what rbtwhiz said about working on a prerequisite for gen 3, and it was 2 years 1/2 ago. Since then, nothing.

They don't even MENTION it ANYWHERE on their website. You go to the presentation of daz studio, they compare it to Poser, Lightwave, 3DS Max, Maya. They speak about Hexagon. But Carrara, nowhere. If you've never heard of Carrara, i's very unlikely you'll find it on their website. And how long since someone, anyone, from Daz posted something in this Carrara forum ?

If Daz never promotes it, never even speaks about it, I'm afraid what we can do won't have much effect.

Daz doesn't understand what potential and capabilities carrara may have, I think they simply abandoned the development just because it was not enough profitable in relation to costs and human resources as they mainly focus on contents, so if we all wanna "sparkle" their curiosity we have to be very convincing by making something special; things like that made the success of c4d, vue, modo...I don't know any other ways to sensitize daz or potential buyers out of there

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    MerKhrys said:

most of the merit for a software to stay alive is due to recurring reels made by (or thanks to) its community; if you don't show what it is capable of doing you can't expect to persuade a software house to further develop it or attract others; YT or vimeo or even an effective gallery constantly updated can make the difference between a software life or death

I think that there is a great deal of truth to your comment.  In lieu of a new highlight reel, which nobody seems to have the time to plan and create, I think that our Carrara Challenge is very important for showing the variety of what Carrara can do.  I wish that every Carrara artist would enter at least one image every Challenge.  Alas, I am probably in the minority here.. :(

People are upset that Daz isn't doing enough.  But we can do a lot ourselves, if we have the will.

That is right, but the "software house", Daz, also has to encourage it's users to do so, offer some support, or at least say something from time to time.

It depends on how you view the world.

For me, the lack of current promotional support or updates is not a deal-breaker.  To say that Daz offers NO support for Carrara is false.  They continue to sell the program (with the many nice updates they provided earlier), continue to provide us with this excellent forum, continue to sponsor the Carrara Challenge with prizes, and continue to approve new Carrara products from PA's.  For me, this is an embarrassment of riches.  On top of that, Carrara is just fun to use. :)

MerKhrys said:
    There is absolutely no official information in nearly FIVE years. And even almost none non official. Only thing is what rbtwhiz said about working on a prerequisite for gen 3, and it was 2 years 1/2 ago. Since then, nothing.

I think that you need to visit the forum more often. :)  People who have filed tickets have been told that Daz is not currently working on any Carrara updates.   That is pretty definitive.  The question is, how do you deal with that information?   Personally, I'm not going to play the role of victim.  I will do what I can to make my situation better.  Not to mention, I am really enjoying using Carrara. :)

MerKhrys said:

If Daz never promotes it, never even speaks about it, I'm afraid what we can do won't have much effect.

For me, even having a little positive effect is better than nothing.  And further, small individual efforts have been known to lead to great things. 

Efforts and willpower aside, did I mention that I am really enjoying using Carrara? :)  If there is a bottom line for me, that is it.

MerKhrys said:

They don't even MENTION it ANYWHERE on their website. You go to the presentation of daz studio, they compare it to Poser, Lightwave, 3DS Max, Maya. They speak about Hexagon. But Carrara, nowhere. If you've never heard of Carrara, i's very unlikely you'll find it on their website. And how long since someone, anyone, from Daz posted something in this Carrara forum ?

Daz doesn't understand what potential and capabilities carrara may have, I think they simply abandoned the development just because it was not enough profitable in relation to costs and human resources as they mainly focus on contents,

I agree with most of this.  But I do think that Daz understands what Carrara is.  It just doesn't fit their current marketing strategy.

However, that strategy tends to change over time.  The comments in this thread could also have applied to Hexagon just a few short months ago.

so if we all wanna "sparkle" their curiosity we have to be very convincing by making something special; things like that made the success of c4d, vue, modo...I don't know any other ways to sensitize daz or potential buyers out of there

I'm not sure that we can influence Daz much.  They have their strategy, and until Carrara starts to make sense to them again, they will likely stick to their current plan.  But I agree that we can certainly influence new users towards Carrara - and have fun in the process!

On that note, I really hope that you consider becoming a Carrara PA, and release your long-distance lighting setup as a product.yes

• MerKhrysMerKhrys Posts: 89

It depends on how you view the world.

For me, the lack of current promotional support or updates is not a deal-breaker.  To say that Daz offers NO support for Carrara is false.  They continue to sell the program (with the many nice updates they provided earlier), continue to provide us with this excellent forum, continue to sponsor the Carrara Challenge with prizes, and continue to approve new Carrara products from PA's.  For me, this is an embarrassment of riches.  On top of that, Carrara is just fun to use. :)

Not only they don't promote it, but they never even say anything about, nowhere.

Yes, they continue to sell the program. The one they released 5 years ago. Not the slightest update since. They even haven't updated the information on the product page "Carrara 8.5 offers the latest in DAZ technology (...) seamless support for the Genesis and Genesis 2 3D model figures". And about this forum, as I said, you don't see often a post of someone from Daz. So they let the other customers do most of the support. 

MerKhrys said:

I think that you need to visit the forum more often. :)  People who have filed tickets have been told that Daz is not currently working on any Carrara updates.   That is pretty definitive.  The question is, how do you deal with that information?   Personally, I'm not going to play the role of victim.  I will do what I can to make my situation better.  Not to mention, I am really enjoying using Carrara. :)

I don't post much but I come here rather often, thank you. "People who have filed tickets have been told that ...". Yes, I've seen that. And I think it's true. But that's not information from Daz. Not directly. Not from someone working for Daz. So what I said is correct.

I don't consider myselft a victim. Carrara never be updated again ?  Ok. As everything evolves around, it will become increasingly difficult to continue using a software that no longer evolves. There are great plugins (NOT by Daz) that help compensate this, but there are things you can't do with plugins. So how I deal with that ? Simple. No matter how much I like Carrara, I won't stay stuck with it. So I'll continue using Carrara for some time, the time to find and learn to use another software. I've been looking for some time, and now I have a good idea of which software it will be.

MerKhrys said:

For me, even having a little positive effect is better than nothing.  And further, small individual efforts have been known to lead to great things. 

Efforts and willpower aside, did I mention that I am really enjoying using Carrara? :)  If there is a bottom line for me, that is it.

Yes you did. Twice in this post alone ;-) . Better than nothing, yes. Will it change something ? No, I don't think so. You said yourself "That is pretty definitive".

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy using Carrara too. Really. And it still has a lot of potential. That's why I'm so mad at Daz for abandonning it.

edited April 2018

true UB, they know what carrara is, not what it could be and I think of the animation field, both PR or NPR; apart from basic compositing features, carrara is near to houdini Core, in terms of performance and functionality, but with daz universe inside! If that would be integrated within houdini, artists would pay 2 or 3 times its current price; believe me UB, daz doesn't know what actually owns

about being PA, once I was but they refused all my latest efforts; no regrets at all, I like experimenting for myself only too cheeky but for carrara I could make an exception if someone with a vision at daz would ask

Post edited by magaremoto on
  • Well, I just happened to notice that Carrara 8.5 Pro is currently on sale for $27.30. If only the rest of the 3D world knew how cheap it is, they might be willing to give it a try. And if enough people bought it at that price and liked it, Daz might decide it's worth devoting more resources to Carrara development.

Meanwhile, Poser Pro is currently selling for $350. And Poser Pro is nowhere near as powerful as Carrara in my opinion.

Magaremoto, sorry, I forgot that you were once a PA.  It would be great if you and Dart were made PA's again, but I realize that it is a long shot.

You say that Carrara is near in functioning to Houdini core, and I will take your word that that is true.  But I think that it is very possible that, rather than not knowing what they have, Daz instead simply does not want to compete in the Houdini marketplace.  As you said, Daz's financial strength comes from content, not software.

Further, I wonder if Daz actually expected to overtake and dominate the Poser market so quickly.  As a result, I think that Daz is now in uncharted territory, and feeling their way through the maze, unsure of the next logical step.  They have made a foray into the gaming industry, but I'm not sure how successful it has been.  As a part of that "feeling-out" process, they also recently made an abrupt about-face and resumed development of Hexagon (how many people here saw THAT coming?).  I think that they are keeping their options open regarding Carrara.

I'm not sure that I can fault any of Daz's business decisions, even though I am a strong Carrara supporter.  However, I can choose to not live or die by those decisions, and that was my point to MerKhyis. :)

I'm going to keep using my Houdini-like Carrara, and be happy doing so.  And when the next inevitable "Is Carrara dead?" thread appears, I will likely chip in a post or two with the exact same perspective. :)

dunno, difficult to argue your statements UB, I only feel there's a need to get an all-in-one software for 500-1000 bucks, ready to make good animations quickly and effectively and fully embedded into a pro pipeline; carrara could play this role if only daz understood there's a rising request for animation tools (look at unity latest policies). Daz studio and iray don't suit this requirement at the moment and afaik nvidia stopped iray development too

new life for luxrender, no..LUXCORE: https://luxcorerender.org/

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

If you look in our forums you will see some mention of the new work.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3242926/#Comment_3242926

edited April 2018

sorry for that I missed it, nevertheless the release # 2 and the new denoiser impressed me so much to share the news with the community

Post edited by magaremoto on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

playing with the ies lights has made carrara feel revitalized for me.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Misty, Philemo, and Alberto have kept Carrara vital for me.  Genesis 3+ characters and various plugins are amazing additions, folks, congratulations.

And - the energy of the Challenge regulars (and continued Daz sponsorship)

And - the encouragement of PAs like PhilW and TangoAlpha who visit the Carrara threads even though we are probably a small part of their maket.

And - the regulars in the render threads.

And - folks like XmasRose who still post occasional Carrara images in the galleries and vote in the Challenge thread even though their current interests are broader.

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited April 2018

Well, I just happened to notice that Carrara 8.5 Pro is currently on sale for $27.30. If only the rest of the 3D world knew how cheap it is, they might be willing to give it a try. And if enough people bought it at that price and liked it, Daz might decide it's worth devoting more resources to Carrara development.

Meanwhile, Poser Pro is currently selling for $350. And Poser Pro is nowhere near as powerful as Carrara in my opinion.

I have always said [and hoped ] Daz would take Carrara outside the Daz stable - eg :  give it its own website,forum,sales promotion etc.

If the 3D world could see this software as a true stand alone product [ not some sort of program Daz is ashamed to mention wink ] then the wider community would discover it,try it and fall in love with it heart. Selling it for $30 is an insult to Carrara and will do nothing for Carrara's development prospects IMHO.

If you do a internet search for top ten 3D applications and reviews  you will get of course all the major stuff and probably Daz Studio .Poser,Vue. and others but almost never Carrara. No one is reviewing it because they probably dont know about it.The fact is Daz is Just Not Interested as demonstrated by their TOTAL silence.

Post edited by 0oseven on
  • CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Silo is back and seems to have renewed interest. 

I think there is a place for mid-range programs and Carrara could capitalize on that. If I was looking at it from outside, I'd see all the great plugin development as a really healthy sign.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

Some development I would like to see added to Carrara

Fracture tool for breaking objects

Rag doll for animation also also a tool to keep character feet on ground 

Fluids for liquid/ocean/rivers  simulation - Flip Fluids?  

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219

A few years ago someone ? was making a crowd plugin for Carrara....don't remember who... or if it was completed or hid away for eternity....

That would also be a nice tool in Carraras arsenal.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

I'd like a fluid sim and a cloth sim .....

Hold on, we already have them....

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    McGuiver said:

A few years ago someone ? was making a crowd plugin for Carrara....don't remember who... or if it was completed or hid away for eternity....

That would also be a nice tool in Carraras arsenal.

yes would be good :)

anyone like the skip straight to Carrara X idea?winkangeldevilenlightened

I love the idea, really, because it would mean many significant updates ...

But I'm afraid it's only a dream. PhilW said recently he had a response from Daz concerning a bug report, saying that Carrara is not currently under active development (see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/58113/show-daz-that-carrara-users-are-a-market-worth-supporting-how-many-product-pages-do-you-have/p25). And the way it is said leaves little hope, to me, that development will resume one day.

And other people have mentionned similar responses, so...

But, who knows, sometimes dreams come true smiley.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,876

yeah I dream I will get nominated one day for a newly created Youtube category of the Academy of motion pictures arts and sciences awards .......cheeky

then spruik Carrara as my software of choice in my speech

and sales go through the rooff ...... then 

laugh one can dream

wel, if theres a funeral, hoping will be an open bar.  skooma and moon sugar.  and Geraltheart

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

They said the same thing about Hexagon, until one day it was back under active development again.

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471

A printed manual for Carrara 9 with 500 pages explaining eveyrthing clearly, and not a "half-ass" online manual that just confuses and explains nothing clearly.

TS_4.jpg
    640 x 480 - 63K
    TS_2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 76K
    TS_3.jpg
    640 x 480 - 67K
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

A printed manual for Carrara 9 with 500 pages explaining eveyrthing clearly, and not a "half-ass" online manual that just confuses and explains nothing clearly.

Good luck with that.  frown

i'mtempted to order the carrara 5 book, seeing used ones out there on amazon.

They said the same thing about Hexagon, until one day it was back under active development again.

What they have released is mostly bug corrections / stability improvements (they said so themselves). I agree this is a necessary first step before introducing new elements. They said they had updates planned for Hexagon in Q1 2018, but it seems that debugging hexagon takes more time that they anticipated.

They do not seem to have much time besides studio to work even on that.

Carrara is a lot more complex than Hexagon. Given their difficulties on Hexagon ( I'm talking about finding time, not competence), I don't see them working on  Carrara any time soon.

On a side note, they managed to add a new bug on the version they released (Carrara file export no longer working). It will be interesting to see if they correct this in the next release. It would not mean much if they do correct it. But if they don't, that would mean they really don't care about Carrara anymore.