DAZ Studio Layered Image Editor

Hello,

Dumb question time. I keep hearing about this but have not found any documentation on how to use this. Is it already in DAZ Studio or do I need to purchase it?

Thanks!

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

It is already in Daz Studio.  You access it from the surafces tab, under the properties if the option can take am inage map (a little icon to the left of the name), clicking on the icon will open up a drop-down menu lgiving you the option to: picck an image from those already loaded (any one you have in this property will be cheked, for conveniance), browse your fiel system for an image or open the Layered Image Editor (LIE).

LIE can be used to overlay an image (prefrebaly with alpha/transprancy) over the top of an existing texture map.  A simple example would be adding a tattoo to an arm.  You can resize and move he layered image, rotate (but only in 90 degree increments), and change the 'mode' on how the layerred image is added.  Beware that it will save the final image out into the DS temporaray folder so that will be deleted once you close Daz Studio (If you save the scene, it will be rebuilt, which will cause the sceen to take longer to load).  Also, the LIE does not cope/deal with UV map seams, so, say, a big tattoo that goes across the bac or from arm to chest, will not work withour a LOT of fidddling and curing, if at all ;)

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited March 2018

The Layered Image Editor (often seen shortened to L.I.E.) is builtin to DAZ Studio. You can access it by opening the Surfaces tab and clicking on any texture map (usually Diffuse) which will open a drop down list of options, including the Layered Image Editor. Click on that and it will open a new window for the utility with a copy of your selected texture map loaded. You will see that there are a number of settings pertaining to that image that you can adjust there, but the primary use of the L.I.E. is to add additional layers to the image. For example, you might want to add a tattoo, or blemishes, or a scar or bruise, etc. These additional layers can be added (or removed) by using the + or - buttons near the edge of the right pane. Then click on Resource > Browse to locate and open the desired image for the new layer (containing the scar, tattoo, etc.). You can then adjust the position, scale etc. to suit. Click accept and the combined image will be added to the surface and the result can be seen in the viewport. It does require that you have created or obtained the necessary images you wish to add as layers in advance, with any parts of the image background not wanted set as having 0 opacity. The documentation (dated but still valid, I believe) can be found here:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/lie/start

Post edited by SixDs on
  • ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 530

You are my hero today!