Carrara 7 lost all headings and text after I upgraded OSX 10.5.8 to 10.6.8

backusstudiobackusstudio Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I had to upgrade my OS on my '07 MacBook Pro to connect to my new phone. After upgrading from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8 Carrara 7 Pro opens with all of it's headings and tabs blank and no interactivity. Carrara 7 still shows as a purchase on my account log but it is not available on the Install Manager when I open it. I would buy Carrara 8 Pro except I would prefer to run that on my newer Mac under Lion. I have ZBrush installed on that computer and want to run GoZ.

I contacted DAZ 'Tech Support' 5 days ago and got an automated message telling me to check the FAQs. No further response.

Screen_shot_2013-06-20_at_12.15_.55_PM_.png
1395 x 871 - 155K

Comments

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

I had to upgrade my OS on my '07 MacBook Pro to connect to my new phone. After upgrading from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8 Carrara 7 Pro opens with all of it's headings and tabs blank and no interactivity. Carrara 7 still shows as a purchase on my account log but it is not available on the Install Manager when I open it. I would buy Carrara 8 Pro except I would prefer to run that on my newer Mac under Lion. I have ZBrush installed on that computer and want to run GoZ.

I contacted DAZ 'Tech Support' 5 days ago and got an automated message telling me to check the FAQs. No further response.

This is a font related problem that began occurring with Carrara 6 and early 7 versions after the Mac OS Leopard update.

You can fix it by manually editing the "Preferences.txt" file.

Go to your Home folder and locate Library/Preferences/DAZ 3D/Carrara 7/Preferences.txt
    Make a duplicate copy of the “Preferences.txt” file as a backup, just in case you have an "oops" situation.

Open Preferences.txt in a text editor such as “TextEdit”.

Inside the Preferences.txt file, search for the following line:

FONT “”

Replace the line with the following:

FONT “Geneva”

Re-save the file making sure that it is saved as a plain text file and not a “rich text” file.

Re-launch Carrara. The text should now be visible.
    You can now change the font to something else if you wish by using the Carrara preferences menu.

I believe that this font problem is resolved in Carrara version 7.2.0.166.

• backusstudiobackusstudio Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the quick reply and the effective solution. I ran into an unexpected snag when I discovered that Geneva is not visible in my font list. I typed in Georgia and the problem resolved as you stated.

I'm very pleased to find that there is user group support for Carrara if no tech support from DAZ. I like Carrara better than Maya by far.

Thanks again for your help-

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the quick reply and the effective solution. I ran into an unexpected snag when I discovered that Geneva is not visible in my font list. I typed in Georgia and the problem resolved as you stated.

I'm very pleased to find that there is user group support for Carrara if no tech support from DAZ. I like Carrara better than Maya by far.

Thanks again for your help-

Glad I could help.

Strange that Geneva was missing. I thought it was supposed to be a Mac OS System font.

Oh well... Helvetica is also a good substitute.

• I really struggled to get any solution to work at all, until I noticed that when editing the Preferences.txt file to put in the font that the type of quotation mark being used was changed by the TextEdit software. 

Background. There are different types of quotation mark, and they have difference ASCII codes to designate them. Typographic quotation marks often mirror each other at each end of the quote and are more attractive to look at. Coders quotation marks are very plain, like two vertical lines side by side, and look the same either end of the quote. For the Preferences.txt file to be interpreted correctly you need to use coders quotation marks. This proved impossible as every time I edited the font definition in the Preferences.txt the TextEdit software would replace the existing coders quote marks with fancy typographic ones, different either side.

The cure was to copy and paste some coders quote marks in place of the typographic ones, after I had typed the font I wanted to use. 

Then it worked.

Until I spotted that it didn't matter what font I chose it Carrara would still always come up with blank menus and dialogues.

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332

Hello everyone, I had to replace an old power Mac G4 for a newer G5 and after installing Carrara Pro 5 I am experiencing the same problem, do exist a way to fix it? 

I was trying to apply the above solution but couldn't locate the FONT " " line

Any help will be much appreciated 

• I finally got it going.. I found this.. and anyone who finds Times annoying... monaco works well. :P  The changing the text file should work, if you use Times instead of Geveva.. for some reason..

• Font fix didn't work. Uninstalling and good riddance.