Daz studio not finding uncategorized files

I am having two issues when I search for new content. The first (and more major one) is that I have files that are not categorized and yet DAZ 4.6.0.18 is not finding them. If the file has metadata with it DAZ finds it but if it came from a zip DAZ doesn’t put it in the unassigned folder. I do have the checkbox next to “Add Uncategorized Files to Unassigned” checked. I don’t want to reset the database as I have ignored the default categories (they don’t make sense to me), and I don’t want to make me system from scratch again. In the log it tells me that search completed with what I assume is the time after it

The other problem is that I have a file that shows up as unassigned even though I have it categorized. This has happened with multiple files (although typically no more than one at a time) currently it is a hair mat for gnomie buns. In the past one of the others was Valandar’s Genesis Bracers (which did have metadata)

Thank you for your time

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Are these installed using Install Manager? If so, you need to uncheck "New files only" when scanning for content.

edited December 1969

I also have an item that keeps showing up in unassigned -- I even exported my user data and reset the dataabase, and now I have a different one that keeps showing up. I just ignore it.

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

I am having two issues when I search for new content. The first (and more major one) is that I have files that are not categorized and yet DAZ 4.6.0.18 is not finding them. If the file has metadata with it DAZ finds it but if it came from a zip DAZ doesn’t put it in the unassigned folder. I do have the checkbox next to “Add Uncategorized Files to Unassigned” checked. I don’t want to reset the database as I have ignored the default categories (they don’t make sense to me), and I don’t want to make me system from scratch again. In the log it tells me that search completed with what I assume is the time after it

The other problem is that I have a file that shows up as unassigned even though I have it categorized. This has happened with multiple files (although typically no more than one at a time) currently it is a hair mat for gnomie buns. In the past one of the others was Valandar’s Genesis Bracers (which did have metadata)

Thank you for your time

If you're getting content in zip files from other sites they will not show up in smart content anywhere unless the creator added metadata. To find that content you need to use the Content Library tab and browse to where the content is supposed to be.

Truthfully, while Smart Content is a great idea it's still fairly new and it's not fully supported yet. You really should get used to using the Content Library tab and browsing for your content. As a benefit you'll probably find content you didn't remember having (smile)

• MidyinMidyin Posts: 221
    edited December 1969

Sisca said:

Thank you for your time

If you're getting content in zip files from other sites they will not show up in smart content anywhere unless the creator added metadata. To find that content you need to use the Content Library tab and browse to where the content is supposed to be.

Truthfully, while Smart Content is a great idea it's still fairly new and it's not fully supported yet. You really should get used to using the Content Library tab and browsing for your content. As a benefit you'll probably find content you didn't remember having (smile)

Pretty much what he said... The Smart Content tab is actually kind of dumb.. lol

• edited December 1969

This is all done via the content library tab, but the files in question are indeed from Renderosity.

The checkbox next to new files only is unchecked.

How do I export (and then import) the data? (I have been away from DAZ a few years due to school and have forgotten a lot) And if I do this will I need to recategorize all of my files?

Thank you again

edited December 1969

From the Content Library options menu (the rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner) > Content DB Maintenance > Export User Data -- this writes all your custom categories to a file named UserData_1.dsx in the Runtime:Support folder (and UserData_2, etc, if needed). It can take a while -- I have 150GB of content and all of it is custom categorized, and it takes about 1/2 hour for me.

After you reset your database (also in the Content DB Maintenance menu) you can Re-Import Metadata and it will import your UserData (as well as the DAZ-supplied metadata, if you want that also), recreating all your custom categories.

• edited December 1969

Thank you for your help, resetting the database caused the missing content to show up (and I found out that I have a lot more uncategorized files than I thought I did)

• ChromaDrakeChromaDrake Posts: 288
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the steps on saving the Content Management Database. Where is the backup file stored? I'm paranoid, I like having multiple copies considering the effort that's gone into organizing the database.

edited December 1969

Export User Data writes to a file named UserData_1.dsx in the Runtime:Support folder (and UserData_2, etc, if needed). I zip them up immediately after exporting and move the zip to an archive folder, so I can keep several backups just in case.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Export User Data writes to a file named UserData_1.dsx in the Runtime:Support folder (and UserData_2, etc, if needed). I zip them up immediately after exporting and move the zip to an archive folder, so I can keep several backups just in case.
    THIS!! Nod nod nod
    edited March 2014

Jaderail said:
    THIS!! Nod nod nodAgreed, that is sound advice, going to do it right now :)

Edit - One thing, however, it looks like doing the Export User Data overwrites the UserData_1 file, I had already done it and when I just did it again, the file was overwritten rather than making a UserData_2 file. Is it supposed to do that?

Post edited by ChromaDrake on
    edited March 2014

After you reset your database (also in the Content DB Maintenance menu) you can Re-Import Metadata and it will import your UserData (as well as the DAZ-supplied metadata, if you want that also), recreating all your custom categories.

One quick question - Exactly how do I Re-Import the metadata from the UserData_1.dsx file? When I click the option in the Content DB Maintenance menu it never asks me where the file is. Do I need to save the file in a particular location?

Thanks!

Post edited by ChromaDrake on
    edited December 1969

One quick question - Exactly how do I Re-Import the metadata from the UserData_1.dsx file? When I click the option in the Content DB Maintenance menu it never asks me where the file is. Do I need to save the file in a particular location?

Thanks!

When you export user data the .dsx file is saved in Runtime:Support of your first content folder.

edited December 1969

When you export user data the .dsx file is saved in Runtime:Support of your first content folder.

Ah ok. So if I wanted to replace this .dsx file with a backup file, I would just overwrite it with the backup in that same location? Then I do the Re-Import step?

edited December 1969

Ah ok. So if I wanted to replace this .dsx file with a backup file, I would just overwrite it with the backup in that same location? Then I do the Re-Import step?

Correct

edited December 1969

Correct
    That worked! Thanks.

One other question though, I installed DAZ on my D: drive but the UserData file is being saved to the C: drive. Can I change where the UserData file is saved or is that not possible?

edited December 1969

Correct
    That worked! Thanks.

One other question though, I installed DAZ on my D: drive but the UserData file is being saved to the C: drive. Can I change where the UserData file is saved or is that not possible?

It saves it to your first-listed content folder in DS (not sure if it uses the first DS-format or the first Poser-format).