running out of space "C" drive

Hello!

Is it possible to move all the products that I've bought onto another drive for DAZ to work still? i have lots of room on another drive, but I daren't move them for fear I'll mess up DAZ.

Thank you

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

You can definitely have your content on another drive, but you'll have to change a few settings in DS to tell it where the content is now.

How do you install your content (DIM, Connect, manual install)?

• I use DIM

i'm scared to move anything. lol.

but if there's a step by step guide somewhere, i'll give it a go.

Ok so if you kept the defaut settings then your DS content should currently be in C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library

Here are the basic steps to move it to your other drive:

• Create a new base folder for your DS directories on the new drive, eg D:/DAZ
    • Move the "My DAZ 3D Library" folder there
    • Update the content directories in DS :
      • in "Edit > Preferences" go to "content" tab and click the "Content directory manager" button
      • in the content directory manager window add the new path (eg D:/DAZ/My DAZ 3D Library) to both DS and Poser format directories, and move it in the list so that it's the first one listed
      • remove the paths pointing to C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library
    • Update install path in DIM (for new content):
      • open DIM settings using the cog and go to "installation" tab
      • Add your new install path to the list
      • Set the "Current" path to your new path
      • Tell DIM to install updates in the Current directory

If you use Smart Content you may need to reimport the metadata after restarting DS.

You may also want to update the path where DIM downloads the files before installing to point on your new drive: open DIM settings using the cog, go to "Downloads" tab and change the "Download to" path.

• I just let the DIM install new stuff to my C Drive,  copy everything iover to the external drives i am actually using (as well as at least two other back ups), and then delete the new material from the C Drive to make room for more. With the huge new external rives they make these days, it's pretty easy and fairly cheap too.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Better to just set DIM up right in the first place.

• thanks peeps, i chicken out and gave my C drive more gigs from the other drive that i was going to send DAZ to anyway. I"m not that technically minded with DAZ that I could do all that so went for the easier option. Thank you for your assistance and comments. Very much appreciated.

• jestmart said:

Better to just set DIM up right in the first place.>

Uhhh... okay I'll just up and admit that I don't know how to do that. Didn't even know you could, for that matter. Could you tell me how it is done, please?

jestmart said:

Better to just set DIM up right in the first place.>

Uhhh... okay I'll just up and admit that I don't know how to do that. Didn't even know you could, for that matter. Could you tell me how it is done, please?

The steps I posted above include how to change install path in DIM

• Leana said:

The steps I posted above include how to change install path in DIM

Ummm... I keep getting stck at step 2. I can't seem to add a  new install path to the list.

• ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 530

I was informed by DAZ Support that they will not support DAZ Studio if you install to a custom location. I explained that my C Drive is not as large as my target drive for DAZ and ignored the warning. I kept my 'custom' location as similar to the default location as possible though.

The sleeping dragon and I (DAZ Studio and I) are currently at odds about other things. :)

Good Luck!

Ummm... I keep getting stck at step 2. I can't seem to add a  new install path to the list.

@Spacewarper7 Have you clicked the plus sign at the bottom left of the DIM window?

• illysArt said:

@Spacewarper7 Have you clicked the plus sign at the bottom left of the DIM window?

Ummm... no, because I am one of those duffers who has to have every step explained to them. blush I have now, and i managed to figure out the remaining steps. Thanks.

• Spacewarper7Spacewarper7 Posts: 135
    edited March 2018

Ignore. accidental entry

Post edited by Spacewarper7 on
  • jestmart said:

Better to just set DIM up right in the first place.

Fine if you want only the one copy with no backups. But i like to make backups on multiple external drives in case one dies, and it is a heck of a lot easier and quicker to do that if the source you copy from contains only the new mods you acquired since the last time you backed up. The more mods you have the more true this becomes, and i have thousands of mods occupting over 400 GB of drive space now. I sure as hell don't want to recopy all that every time I install new mods! So in my opinion at least, DIM is set up right in the first place.