Genesis 2?

Comments

• creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    Creativemodelsbe how many times does this have to explained to you, you cannot make a mertail MORPH for ANY BIPEDAL FIGURE, this isn't how morphs work. A morph is the pushing and pulling of the vertices of mesh to get a new shape. Morphs most have the same vertex count and order of the original mesh. Therefore you cannot remove or add vertices, even if the vertex count remained the same after removing and adding the order would still be changed.

Like Kattey I don't see much improvement in the bending of the G2F which makes me think V6 must add a lot of JCMs to get that.

this is not impossible! i've seen some human figure morphing to an eagle done in MAYA.

i don't remember the exact naming of how they call this, but 'm very sure it is possible.
    if i find the video ever again, i will post it here!

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited June 2013

jestmart said:
    Creativemodelsbe how many times does this have to explained to you, you cannot make a mertail MORPH for ANY BIPEDAL FIGURE, this isn't how morphs work. A morph is the pushing and pulling of the vertices of mesh to get a new shape. Morphs most have the same vertex count and order of the original mesh. Therefore you cannot remove or add vertices, even if the vertex count remained the same after removing and adding the order would still be changed.

Like Kattey I don't see much improvement in the bending of the G2F which makes me think V6 must add a lot of JCMs to get that.

Sorry to disagree but I believe it was Mec4D who made a mertail morph by simply shrinking the one leg to practically nothing and molding the leg left into a tail. Technically, one could do a lot with reshaping the polys without messing up the count or vert order if creative.

It is true it would not likely be the most efficient use of polygons, which is probably why the Mertail morph was never released as a commercial product.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • JimbotiniJimbotini Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

I have not sifted through all the posts yet, but was curious if those Genesis 2 Female head/body morphs are included in the Victoria 6 bundles. It doesn't come right out and say they do, but they are required by some of the products that are bundled with them.

As for reasons to split the G2 gender lines, there is no reason why the female and male dials couldn't include the changes made for the female specific G2. I have noticed that several G1 character morphs sometimes required basic male/female dialed up and others didn't so you'd end up with really funny looking figures. Perhaps that won't happen here since it would either be G2F or G2M specific morph.

edited June 2013

There is a reason, it has to do with fine level topology. The Gen6 characters have been retopoed to be more efficient and detailed for the female form.

I realize there are a lot of posts here, but it would be nice if people read through the threads before commenting on things that have been explained ad nauseum.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited June 2013

Well, I got to say, I haven't really gotten anything for G2F just yet, but I can definitely say, she's not a guy, alright.

This when I tried to use Auto-Fit M5's Elite Hair on her...

G2F_Male_Hair.jpg
    638 x 696 - 117K
    Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

Jim, I posted some basic Genesis 2/V6 info here that might help.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24144/

• JimbotiniJimbotini Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

My previous comment wasn't to say anything about G2, just the splitting of gender. Adding polygons and moving vertices for topological changes from G1 is an obvious improvement. Because we have no G2M to compare against, I stand by my comment about there being no reason for splitting the gender lines. There could always be a difference in weight maps and a bone's affected polygons between the male and female because our internals change a little with those X and Y chromosomes. Those things change weight distribution and bone structure. But thanks for the jab on not reading all posts in these several threads while being productive at work today. I did read about half of them. I'll endeavor to read faster to cover more of them next time so I'm not such a bother. I have coworkers I have to repeat things over and over again to in person, it does annoying.

SnowSultan, thanks for that link. So basically the G2Female is essentially a pre-dialed Genesis basic female without morphs. The morph bundle is more or less required to do anything custom (shape-wise) with it and is not included in the bundles even though they are required by stuff in the bundle such as https://www.daz3d.com/nyssa and https://www.daz3d.com/norma. Lame... just lame. They could at least mention that dependency on the bundle. Maybe I missed it. I guess the bright side is that if you have already purchased the morph bundle and decide later to purchase the V6 bundle, you aren't wasting money.

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

jim said:
    My previous comment wasn't to say anything about G2, just the splitting of gender. Adding polygons and moving vertices for topological changes from G1 is an obvious improvement. Because we have no G2M to compare against, I stand by my comment about there being no reason for splitting the gender lines. There could always be a difference in weight maps and a bone's affected polygons between the male and female because our internals change a little with those X and Y chromosomes. Those things change weight distribution and bone structure. But thanks for the jab on not reading all posts in these several threads while being productive at work today. I did read about half of them. I'll endeavor to read faster to cover more of them next time so I'm not such a bother. I have coworkers I have to repeat things over and over again to in person, it does annoying.

SnowSultan, thanks for that link. So basically the G2Female is essentially a pre-dialed Genesis basic female without morphs. The morph bundle is more or less required to do anything custom (shape-wise) with it and is not included in the bundles even though they are required by stuff in the bundle such as https://www.daz3d.com/nyssa and https://www.daz3d.com/norma. Lame... just lame. They could at least mention that dependency on the bundle. Maybe I missed it. I guess the bright side is that if you have already purchased the morph bundle and decide later to purchase the V6 bundle, you aren't wasting money.

They don't list it in the bundle - and I agree they should - but it is listed if you look at the actual product page. I agree it's lame that you have to buy something extra to use part of what came in a bundle, the morphs should be in the bundle if you need them to use it.

From what I'm seeing other have said you really only need the morph pack and V4 for Genesis 2 and you're pretty set. I didn't really see anything in the Pro pack that added a whole lot of value to me. I'm still try to decide if it's worth the cost to potentially 11 more free items over the rest of the month. If not I'll probably wait a few months until it's up at 70% off.

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited June 2013

I agree with Jim about the Gender split. If this is true, that G2 will no longer be able to morph into male/female forms, then G2 has already lost a lot of it's appeal to me. That's one of many things that attracted me to Genesis. One mesh, one figure, capable of changing into man, woman, teenager, child or monster. G2? I'd have to buy separate morph packs now to get the same thing, only with more meshes, more figures. Sorry, but I have no desire to have a repeat of Generation 4 and with multiple figures with their clothing sets jockeying for attention.

Post edited by Knight22179 on
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

If Daz is abandoning the Genesis concept of one mesh for all sexes and going back to male and female meshes..... why can't Daz as a company come out with a new Poser mesh.... have V6 for Daz Studio and another product V6 for Poser.

• Laticis ImageryLaticis Imagery Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

hi guys, for comparison.

Genesis-2.jpg
    576 x 750 - 147K
  • twallingtwalling Posts: 241
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    There is a reason, it has to do with fine level topology. The Gen6 characters have been retopoed to be more efficient and detailed for the female form.

I realize there are a lot of posts here, but it would be nice if people read through the threads before commenting on things that have been explained ad nauseum.

There's a new Genesis?

edited December 1969

jim said:
    ...There could always be a difference in weight maps and a bone's affected polygons between the male and female because our internals change a little with those X and Y chromosomes... But thanks for the jab on not reading all posts in these several threads while being productive at work today...

Topology goes beyond weight maps and bone effects...

As to the jab, it actually wasn't meant as such although I can understand why it would be taken that way. It was meant as a general statement. Any one individual asking a question that has already been discussed would not bother anyone reasonable, it's when many people do it and it adds up that it becomes frustrating to people who have been following the conversation. In fast moving topics or very long topics, it is hard to avoid this happening and I have myself done this more then once. It's just that it is something we should all keep in mind.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Laticis said:
    hi guys, for comparison.
    Thanks Dad.
    Opps I thought it was V5 - V6 comparison, my bad.
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What sort of trade in is DAZ giving me for all the stuff I bought for Genesis 1?

• edited December 1969

My main issue with this is simply the lack of downward compatibility.
    I have spent the most money on Gen4 stuff, good that Genesis had the autofit tool and UV compatibility, but my morphs, shoes and stuff that the autofit couldn't handle, are all obsolete now, except if I buy stuff like GenX or that other tool to convert clothing/shoes.
    Nice of Daz to bring business to others, but for the customers that is just plain unfair.

Not to mention the constant fear of buying a product, only to find out you missed some requirements and can't use them. (ie. some models for Genesis that required v4 bodyshapes)

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited June 2013

I think myself and others would be a lot happier if there was a simple explanation of why they've moved back to individual figures, why they couldn't achieve those results with a unified asexual mesh and what plans they have to develop the figure. I think the biggest problem right now is the confusion. The figure as it stands now is very limiting compared to basic Genesis because we don't have an M6 yet, we don't have child morphs and we don't have the same level of forwards compatibility that we had with V4-Genesis. We don't even know if morphs like Basic Child are even being considered or whether they're going to be phased out entirely.

MallenLane has done a wonderful job converting V4 meshes for using on V6, but there's still a lot of issues with Genesis clothing working on the new figure. My V4 library is miniscule compared to my Genesis stuff, so it's a big deciding factor for me. Perhaps somewhere down the line D3D will have a GenX2 available that converts our existing Genesis morphs for Gen6 figures, I already hear rumours he's working on something along those lines. But if we had some reassurances that the flexibility we have with current Genesis will, at least in part, be available in future on the new V6/M6 figures I could be convinced it was a worthy successor.

I asked this question before, but I'll ask it again. V6 is a great figure, and I could live with the fact that there are going to be two different meshes. But only if I fully understood what can be achieved with it that couldn't be achieved with a single new unified mesh like Genesis has had going for it all this time.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Would It be possible for a PA to simply MAKE a genesis base morph that is neuter like the original. I'd gladly pay for a morph without gender I can change as I please from scratch. I loved this ability in daz.

• chsmo69chsmo69 Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

Would It be possible for a PA to simply MAKE a genesis base morph that is neuter like the original. I'd gladly pay for a morph without gender I can change as I please from scratch. I loved this ability in daz.

And not only that, but I want for the ability to use clothes cross-genders the same way I can with Genesis 1. Or will we have to jump through hoops and rolls of duct tape to dress G2Females with male clothing and vice versa?

Morphs are one thing and no doubt creative solutions will come, but this specialized genders with specialized clothing is bleak.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

The Genesis 2 Female Body Morphs has an Androgynous morph : http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/genesis-2-female-body-morphs. Also, look at Kattey's thread on converting Genesis morphs to Genesis 2: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24093/. She's got some instructions on creating a neuter Genesis morph for Genesis 2 Base Female. I also remember seeing a nice render someone posted in the thread of the Base Child morph converted to Genesis 2. It looks like there're ways to use our old morphs on Genesis 2 even before GenX gets updated.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

riftwitch said:

The Genesis 2 Female Body Morphs has an Androgynous morph : http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/genesis-2-female-body-morphs. Also, look at Kattey's thread on converting Genesis morphs to Genesis 2: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24093/. She's got some instructions on creating a neuter Genesis morph for Genesis 2 Base Female. I also remember seeing a nice render someone posted in the thread of the Base Child morph converted to Genesis 2. It looks like there're ways to use our old morphs on Genesis 2 even before GenX gets updated.
    Thank you, Riftwitch, The tutorial to unlock Genesis original shape from G2F is actually here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/356145/
    and it is a basic for all following tutorials.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    riftwitch said:

Thank you, Riftwitch, The tutorial to unlock Genesis original shape from G2F is actually here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/356145/
    and it is a basic for all following tutorials.

I swear one of these days I'm going to sit down and try your tutorials. My only real complaint about Genesis 2 is that it had to come out when I'm working graveyard shift. I'm too sleepy atm to do more than play around with autofitting Genesis clothes on the new figure. (So far, so good, except for Mr. Hyde's pants.) Three more nights, and I'll have the energy to be creative.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Riftwitch, don't worry about time and I'll be waiting to see you results :)

• revenger681revenger681 Posts: 156
    edited December 1969

Anyone else a bit upset that Genesis 2 even exists? Genesis 1 is still fairly new and has a LOT of support to be provided still, as well as to be supported well by other merchants outside of DAZ. Seriously..... It just seems far too soon to release yet another Victoria model....

• 3dbug3dbug Posts: 67
    edited June 2013

Lol, they're not obsolete, quit overreacting.

To be honest both are going to have their uses. Gen2 will most like be for more gender-specific items as Gen 1 will be for more flexible items. I don't see giving up my Gen1 stuff as not everything will make it to Gen2 and I can use them both in a scene.

And I'm not going through another year of updating characters, so not many of my store will see a revamping just for M6.

Oh, theyre not obsolete? So i can use all of the genesis evolution morphs with genesis 2? How about the other morph packs for genesis 1?

Could you use Gen4 morphs directly on Genesis? No you couldn't without conversion.

Can you use Evolution morphs with Genesis 2?

Yes and No.

Yes they'll transfer, but no they won't look right without a corresponding shape to work with, though the Genesis clone is in Gen2. So some of the morphs could work, but probably not the full body ones as the shaping of the chest area is now different.

Head morphs do cross over very well. Which is probably what most people want out to convert.

And Im not "overreacting." Frankly, what I am is a customer. You know, the guy with the money? I'm more than a little off-put by a vendor coming to tell me to basically shut up.

Well most times, I see this and months later I see the same person beaming about the product once the smoke clears. Happens all the time. So I figured you may want to head it off at the pass ;). It's not as dire as you make it.

How you treat customers matters. Just to make the point, based on the tone you are taking here, I will not be buying any of your products anymore.

Post edited by 3dbug on
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Anyone else a bit upset that Genesis 2 even exists? Genesis 1 is still fairly new and has a LOT of support to be provided still, as well as to be supported well by other merchants outside of DAZ. Seriously..... It just seems far too soon to release yet another Victoria model....

don't worry, in a couple weeks Genesis 3 will be out

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

I give it till mid late 2014.

• kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

I give it till mid late 2014.
    LOL And then the storm of griping will shift its direction onto the new figure.
    Seriously, I haven't even had a chance to load this Genesis 2 critter yet, but reading through this thread has left my original impression unchanged. Unless the new one does something amazing for me, I'm going to stick with my good buddy Genesis and be happy.

• The Vertex DoctorThe Vertex Doctor Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Unless the new one does something amazing for me, I'm going to stick with my good buddy Genesis and be happy.

It still doesn't bake pies or wash the car.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

LOL And then the storm of griping will shift its direction onto the new figure.
    Seriously, I haven't even had a chance to load this Genesis 2 critter yet, but reading through this thread has left my original impression unchanged. Unless the new one does something amazing for me, I'm going to stick with my good buddy Genesis and be happy.

yeah the threads are a mess right now. People saying the same things over and over, asking the same questions no matter how many times it's explain in the dozen or so threads about the matter.

People can use what they like and if they aren't interested I'm not sure why they are trying to force people to convince them to use something they don't want or can't see the benefit from. I'll use Genesis 1 for men and toons for the forseeable future because I barely wanted to ever invest in men at all. I'm just not good with them.

But I can see a plenty of improvements in the female form with Genesis2, and I saw them in a few seconds of loading the free basic female. I'm not the most detail oriented person but I was able to see a lot of improvements without others telling me what to look for. But I can also see why for a lot of folks those details mean nothing or go unnoticed.