Tousled Hair - RedzStudio .. desperate plea, sort of :)

Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

Hey Redz, hopefully you read this :) To begin with it, I have nothing against the hair itself or anything like that. But I do have problem using it..  every time I am going to put it on a figure which isn't genesis 3 male (or so I assume, haven't tested) I have to test the hair to see which one of them that doesn't trigger the autofit. Putting a screenshot of how it looks in the smart content.

My plea is simply to ask you to update the icons for each of the version of the hair, either with adding g8m, g8f, g3f, g3m behind the tousled hair text. Or by updating them with clear pictures to let us see which one each of them are for.

Please? *bribes with cookies and many hugs*

pleatoredz.jpg
785 x 602 - 106K

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553

I take it that you are using smart content ?

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

I am yes, far too often there is problems like this when using that, but the other hairs I have from Redz isn't like this, so figure it was worth to give a plea :)

I have never used smart content so never encountered this problem, although I have seen a few posts about it. To bad you can't just go in and edit the thumbs for it yourself.

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,562

Since this item was a buyout, your best bet would be to put in a support ticket as Daz now has control of the product.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256

I have never used smart content so never encountered this problem, although I have seen a few posts about it. To bad you can't just go in and edit the thumbs for it yourself.

And, of course, you can edit the thumbnails yourself too...

nemesis10 said:

Where would they be located? I did a quick search before posting since I thought they might be, but couldn't find any.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256
    nemesis10 said:

Where would they be located? I did a quick search before posting since I thought they might be, but couldn't find any.

I'm on a mac but I assume you can search for things on a Windows Machine.  I searched for the drive that I keep my content on, looked for the string called "tousled hair.png".  There are four of them. I opened one in an image editor, added the image so that it said G8M and had it overwrite the one in the appropriate Genesis 8 male folder which is nested deeply in data>data>cloud>some string of numbers>people genesis 8 male>tousled hair. I repeated he process which took about 3 minutes... and done.

I wasn't aware you could change things in the data-cloud folder, for the smart content I mean, not without messing things up more or having it be a mess if the product should be updated for one reason or another? *curious* And I honestly do Not like having to go in a mess with things like that, since with my luck I tend to destroy things *sheepish smile*

Besides, I bought the product and in all honesty it shouldn't be me doing that, it should have been fixed in the quality control but as it clearly wasn't I can only hope there will be a fix for it soon. 

Phoenix, I admit I hadn't thought of the fact it was bought out from Redz, I'll file a support ticket I guess, but will wait a few days to see if anything is said or done. Thanks :)

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,006

If you right click on the icon, you can always open an item in its directory and then look to see what it is for. I agree with you it would be easier if the icons were designed to help with this.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

At the bottom of the smart content pane, click on the little arrow and it opens up - click on the "info" tab and when you once click on the hair, it'll show the file name and where it's located. It'll tell you whether the hair is for Gen3 or Gen8 or whatever. 

It's a blasted nuisance - thumbnails either need to say which figure on it, or at least the name of the figure should be in the product name so you can tell at a glance exactly which figure which hair/product is for. Absolutely annoying and it stills bugs me that DAZ hasn't implemented strict guidelines for Smart Content. 

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    Carola O said:

Hey Redz, hopefully you read this :) To begin with it, I have nothing against the hair itself or anything like that. But I do have problem using it..  every time I am going to put it on a figure which isn't genesis 3 male (or so I assume, haven't tested) I have to test the hair to see which one of them that doesn't trigger the autofit. Putting a screenshot of how it looks in the smart content.

My plea is simply to ask you to update the icons for each of the version of the hair, either with adding g8m, g8f, g3f, g3m behind the tousled hair text. Or by updating them with clear pictures to let us see which one each of them are for.

Please? *bribes with cookies and many hugs*

Hi and sorry you’re having trouble with this. I never use smart content myself, so this never occurred to me. That said, it was Daz who set up the smart content after the buyout, so I would think a ticket, as suggested by Phoenix1966 will be your best bet for getting it updated. 

Thanks Jash and Jaki, neither of those things had occured to me. And in fact the little arrow thing Jaki talk about I didn't even know about, going to check that next time I go into Studio :)

And thanks for the response Redz, the hair itself is amazing so I'm happy with that! Not so happy with daz and their set up of the smart content though *smiles* That ticket will be filed, and we'll see if anything happens. I'm just glad I had other hair from you, and none of them had that problem, so I knew it wasn't something that was usual :)

You're welcome Carola O :) The other thing I often do - particularly in items where there are lots of choices - is when you have dbl clicked on the product and it opens in Smart Content, right click on one icon and choose "show asset in - Content Library - virtual folder". That takes you to where it's installed and the items are in their folders. This is useful for certain items where you have steps to apply things - like Kindred Arts Ghost Lights where you apply the options in certain order, or CJ-Studio's Morphing Pantyhose etc, where all the colours and designs have been thrown together in Materials and you can't work out what is what. The PA's have collated the product and option in logical folders, but in Smart Content they are all thrown together in one, and you don't know which order to apply something or whether the stockings are for G3 or G8. Metadata is done by QA so while the PA's have thoughtfully separated the items, that all gets thrown to the wind when it's time for metadata and being Smart Content-ed. laugh

I've attached a screenshot showing the "little arrow thingy" I was talking about - it occurred to me that I was quite vague as I don't know what it's called LOL. As you can see, SWAM's Mirai hair has the figure base in the filename which is fantastic for us Smart Contenters, but it was just to show you what I was referring to. 

Carola O said:

Thanks Jash and Jaki, neither of those things had occured to me. And in fact the little arrow thing Jaki talk about I didn't even know about, going to check that next time I go into Studio :)

And thanks for the response Redz, the hair itself is amazing so I'm happy with that! Not so happy with daz and their set up of the smart content though *smiles* That ticket will be filed, and we'll see if anything happens. I'm just glad I had other hair from you, and none of them had that problem, so I knew it wasn't something that was usual :)

arrow.jpg
    542 x 1267 - 171K

Thanks Jaki, I did find it after searching for a bit *grins* And that virtual folder is a good idea :)

I'm actually quite disapointed, I never realised it was QA that did the metadata for smart content, I've always thought it was the vendor themselves... so when something has been horrible messed up in smart content, I had naturally thought it was due to the vendor... *sad and shamed* Also makes it even More annoying really, that it is Daz' own people that do that :/

edited March 2018

Just to clarity, I am 98.999% positive the metadata is done by QA, however there may be a few PA's who do it themselves. But from what I remember, the vast majority of it is done in QA when it's packed up to be installed.  'Course, things could have changed since I knew that. LOL

Non-daz products, I do my own metadata so they show in Smart Content (it's quite easy, but time consuming). There is some way of editing DAZ products metadata, or you can assign your own categories I think...I'm unsure how that is done, but I do know there are quite a few users who do it, so there may be some tutorials here in the forums on how to do that. 

Carola O said:

Thanks Jaki, I did find it after searching for a bit *grins* And that virtual folder is a good idea :)

I'm actually quite disapointed, I never realised it was QA that did the metadata for smart content, I've always thought it was the vendor themselves... so when something has been horrible messed up in smart content, I had naturally thought it was due to the vendor... *sad and shamed* Also makes it even More annoying really, that it is Daz' own people that do that :/

Post edited by jakiblue on