Constant "Connecting to CMS...."

Hi all.

I cant get DAZ3D to start.

The script reads "Connecting to CMS..." at the bottom left of the screen and never loads from then.

Ive uninstalled both POSTGRE and then reinstalled the POSTGRE 64bit and DAZ3D opens but with a CMS error. If I install the Valentina POSTGRE DAZ3D dosnt open at all.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks

Comments

• What operating system? What security software? Have you run DM or Daz Studio as administrator (if not, don't - that's something that is likely to cause problems, not a suggestion of a fix)?

• Hi Richard.

Ive read many posts from you regarding this topic and I thank you for your patience.

Im running:

Windows 10

AVG

I have not run either as admin

I have managed to change the port to 1800 and it did start but only once. I found that I had to force quit, open DIM, close DIM and then it would open fine. Strange huh?

• votovoto Posts: 6

Hello,

sorry if this is not the right place for my question! 
    If PostgreSQL CMS is not installed ... DAZ3D always comes up with an ERROR / WARNING.
    Is it possible to suppress the Warning? ...

Because I dont use the features from the CMS in DAZ3D and I don´t want to install the PostgreSQL CMS only to get rid of the warning popup on each start.
    Thanks.

• Hi Voto.

It would be better to start your own thread to get the help you need as it can get confusing.

• Hi Richard.

Ive read many posts from you regarding this topic and I thank you for your patience.

Im running:

Windows 10

AVG

I have not run either as admin

I have managed to change the port to 1800 and it did start but only once. I found that I had to force quit, open DIM, close DIM and then it would open fine. Strange huh?

Yes. I have seen people with AVG have issues, and although it didn't help them it's still worth trying to disconnect from the web, disable AVG, and then run DS. I'd be slightly more hopeful that this might hope as chnaging the port number did help briefly, which may suggest that it is then blocked on subsequent launches.

• Thanks Richard.

My PC was in-need of reinstalling windows anyway and since then ive had no problems.

Thanks for helping anyways.

• Thanks Richard.

My PC was in-need of reinstalling windows anyway and since then ive had no problems.

Thanks for helping anyways.

So what is the solution here?  I am running intot he same problem.  Reinstall Windows?!?!

• It sounds like it's either an antivirus or firewall problem. Try turning off any third party A/V software and enabling Windows defender instead. Also check to see if your firewall is blocking DS.

• It sounds like it's either an antivirus or firewall problem. Try turning off any third party A/V software and enabling Windows defender instead. Also check to see if your firewall is blocking DS.

I checked my McAfree Firewall and Daz is on.

• Did you turn off McAfee A/V and try launching DS?

• I turned off fire wall and real time scanning...still stuck on Connecting to CMS.

• So after turing off firewall I rebooted for a third time...and that was the charm.  It connected.  Not sure why but problem solved.

• Thanks for the help everyone!

• You shouldn't just leave the firewall and antivirus turned off. Update both and see about resetting the firewall's blocked list.

• ChrisAndersonChrisAnderson Posts: 9
    edited February 2020

This isn't just a problem for Windows users. I'm on macOS High Sierra. It used to be before the latest update of Daz Studio there'd be a connection problem, after a restart, everything would work fine after starting Daz Studio, then CMS issues again. Now despite uninstalling, reinstalling to the suggested preferences and changing the port settings and a restart Connecting to CMS errors continue. And I've never had to go into my Firewall/Security settings to change anything to get Daz Studio working. If this is going to be an ongoing issue after me spending money on good content and unable to use Daz Studio and fed up I'll be giving this program a miss.

Chris

Post edited by ChrisAnderson on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited February 2020

This isn't just a problem for Windows users. I'm on macOS High Sierra. It used to be before the latest update of Daz Studio there'd be a connection problem, after a restart, everything would work fine after starting Daz Studio, then CMS issues again. Now despite uninstalling, reinstalling to the suggested preferences and changing the port settings and a restart Connecting to CMS errors continue. And I've never had to go into my Firewall/Security settings to change anything to get Daz Studio working. If this is going to be an ongoing issue after me spending money on good content and unable to use Daz Studio and fed up I'll be giving this program a miss.

Chris

Trying changing the CMS port number to a number at least 15000+. Lower numbers than 10000 are often treated as reserved for OS or protocol standards committees and by security & firewall software they get much more strict attention.

You can capture the traffic between DAZ Studio / postgreSQL Listener on your CMS listener port number. The CMS postgreSQL default is 17237 so that's what i'd set it in by default when configuring in, important, both DIM and DAZ Studio Preferences -> CMS. See attached RTF file to capture protocol between ds and postgresql using Wireshark to help you debug locally but please look at and try the 2 links below 1st.

Official Document Page:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/18869/start

Page with common bug:

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207812393-PostgreSQL-Connection-Error-and-No-Smart-Content

Good Luck.

zip
    zip
    CMS postgreSQL Listener on WireShark.zip
    6M
    Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • ChrisAndersonChrisAnderson Posts: 9
    edited February 2020

Chris

Trying changing the CMS port number to a number at least 15000+. Lower numbers than 10000 are often treated as reserved for OS or protocol standards committees and by security & firewall software they get much more strict attention.

You can capture the traffic between DAZ Studio / postgreSQL Listener on your CMS listener port number. The CMS postgreSQL default is 17237 so that's what i'd set it in by default when configuring in, important, both DIM and DAZ Studio Preferences -> CMS. See attached RTF file to capture protocol between ds and postgresql using Wireshark to help you debug locally but please look at and try the 2 links below 1st.

Official Document Page:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/18869/start

Page with common bug:

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207812393-PostgreSQL-Connection-Error-and-No-Smart-Content

Good Luck.

Updated:

I've been through many pages on this forum regarding solutions trying everything offered to get a PostgreSQL CMS connection to work with Daz 4.12. There are no conflicts with my firewall and has never been the case since using any version of Daz3d. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Daz program 5 times now to even attempting to change the port numbers that after a restart of Daz to note it has reverted to whatever numbers were originally there. And still can't find a connection. I'm on macOS High Sierra. There is no One Fix Fits All to this problem that goes across both Windows and Mac.

I find it interesting reading the comments on suggestions by users as to what may be the cause of the cms not finding a connection to Daz admins others offering ways to fix it when it's clear that this happens for many intermittently with earlier versions of Daz3d. On the previous version, I'd run the program with no issue a connection established. Would work for hours on a project and close down Daz. Then when going back a couple of hours later or the next day there'd be no connection. And all it would take is a restart of the computer to find Daz working fully again, the cms connecting to other times not working. My solution to this after reading one user's suggestion was to search Google to find a previous earlier copy of Daz 4.9.3 as it was less buggy. I was able to find a download for Daz Studio 4.9.4 Pro MacOs. Ran the install to get a dialogue box to enter my email and password. Surprise! Connection successful in opening Daz with no issues and all the files with my purchases to download.

Post edited by ChrisAnderson on
  • For me, the issue was that after closing DAZ, several SQL connections were not closed properly and remained open; killing the PostgreSQL Server process(es) in the task manager did the trick.