CPU bears most of the work in rendering despite selecting GPU.

I'm using Studio on Windows 10 with an Nvidia 750ti card. I went to the render options tab and set my render device to the GPU only and unchecked the CPU option. However, when I look at Windows' task manager, the CPU is showing anywhere from 90-99% of a load with the system memory being 60-80% occupied. Task manager shows that the GPU is hardly ever active, with infrequent use and small spikes up to 12-15%. Most of the time, Cortana or something like "Windows Shell Experience Host" is using the GPU more than Studio. (Which is vexing, because I've done what I can to disable Cortana and have no other user-facing programs open besides Studio.)

Is this normal? I've never paid attention to it before, but I'm encountering issues with Studio crashing due to memory shortages so I'm troubleshooting as best I can.

Comments

• I recommend getting GPU-Z to track your actual GPU usage while a render is running.

If your graphics card runs out of memory (as well as for other reasons) then IRay will default back to a CPU render even when you select only a GPU under devices.