PhilW Hairs Discussion Thread

PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Following on from doing hairs for Carrara and then hair shaders for Daz Studio, I am pleased to announce my first full hair product for Genesis 8 Female and Daz Studio. It should be released this week and is called Paige Hair for Genesis 8 Female.  It is based on one of my best selling Carrara dynamic hairs and started life using a new conversion tool that allows you to generate polygonal hair from Carrara dynamic hair. This also allows for some unique morphs to be generated which gives this hair great versalitity and realism.  Here are a couple of my favourite promo images to give you a flavour.

Post edited by PhilW on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079

The reference to unique morphs is intriguing. Looks great. 

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

Would a Genesis 3 version possible?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    gerster said:

Yes it should be possible - I'll look into it.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

cool

Lurking Watching with interest in realistic hair.

edited March 2018

A couple more promo images which show some more styles that you can achieve with Paige Hair for Genesis 8 Female.

Promo02 Long Hair Sandy.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 325K
    Post edited by PhilW on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Looks like a very useful hair prop there Phil.  Will there be bang length options? 

edited March 2018

..and the second one.

Promo09 Short Hair Alexandra.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 268K
    Post edited by PhilW on
    RAMWolff said:

Looks like a very useful hair prop there Phil.  Will there be bang length options? 

Yes there is a dial for Bang Length (although I call it a Fringe).

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    PhilW said:
    RAMWolff said:

Yeh, I know what a fringe is; bangs are the sound of guns :)

Looking very nice indeed.

nicstt said:
    PhilW said:
    RAMWolff said:

Yeh, I know what a fringe is; bangs are the sound of guns :)

Looking very nice indeed.

Thank you. It seems odd to us Brits to call them bangs, but hey, whatever term you use, it is the same thing (and can be adjusted!).

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I'm a US guy and I'm a hairdresser by trade for over 30 years.  Fringe is what we do around the face or doing a fringe in the back, meaning thinning out the hair so it's more sparce in areas.  Bangs are the short areas that are cut so people don't have to pin back their hair to see where they are going.  wink

PhilW said:
    gerster said:

cool thank you!

gerster said:
    PhilW said:
    gerster said:

cool thank you!

As a temporary fix, you can try loading Paige Hair onto G3F, it will ask you which generation it was made for but won't (by default) offer Genesis 8 - but if you select Genesis 2 female, it works ok on the quick test that I just did. Due to the style, it can be quite forgiving about not getting an exact fit.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    PhilW said:
    gerster said:
    PhilW said:
    gerster said:

cool thank you!

As a temporary fix, you can try loading Paige Hair onto G3F, it will ask you which generation it was made for but won't (by default) offer Genesis 8 - but if you select Genesis 2 female, it works ok on the quick test that I just did. Due to the style, it can be quite forgiving about not getting an exact fit.

Load the hair and edit the Scene Identification to change Preferred Base to Genesis 3 Female. This is all you need to do to convert a hair.

PhilW said:
    gerster said:
    PhilW said:
    gerster said:

cool thank you!

Load the hair and edit the Scene Identification to change Preferred Base to Genesis 3 Female. This is all you need to do to convert a hair.

Good to know.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436

That's all you need to do to convert between G3 and G8, because their heads have exactly the same shape and position. Converting with other generations isn't always so simple.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

The context here was how to convert to G3 from G8 without autofit. Of course that doesn't work between other generations. (It's also a hint that this hair could easily be sold for G3 and G8, lol)

edited March 2018

Sitting in my cart now, waiting for the cart glitch to be fixed... runtime. With a render cooking. smiley

Post edited by frankrblow on

Hey, I got the hair and this product is realy nice.

I tested it with  SY Genesis 8 Clones for Genesis 3. The Clone works good enough, but I would be still very happy to see an offical Genesis 3 version.

However, I tried to get the hair as short as possiible (boyish look).

I set

Bob Style 100%

Shorter: 100%

Shorter Fringe: 100%

Shorter Side: 100%

The result is a little bit messy (on G3 more than on G8). I did  a quick render of the result (G3 is lefft, G8 right).

Could you have a look at this? Maybe you could add in the future a "very short" hair morph or fix this combination?

paige hair test.png
    1500 x 843 - 2M
  • escrandallescrandall Posts: 487

In my cart now.  Does this mean there will be follow-ons like Skye an Crista and possibly beyond?

Gerster - thanks for buying it!  By having multiple morphs at 100%, you are pushing it into areas that it wasn't really designed to go. I am already working on my next hair and this will have a very short option.. As for Paige Hair, you could try removing limits on one of the morphs and see if that gives you closer to what you want - but again you will be pushing it beyond its design, so I can't guarantee this will work any better.

In my cart now.  Does this mean there will be follow-ons like Skye an Crista and possibly beyond?

I am planning to do more hairs, not necessarily based on old Carrara hairs - but feel free to use this thread to let me know if you are interested in any particular styles.

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487
    PhilW said:

I am planning to do more hairs, not necessarily based on old Carrara hairs - but feel free to use this thread to let me know if you are interested in any particular styles.

I like asymmetry on cuts like current Pages and messy short cuts  - a few examples here:    http://hairstylesweekly.com/90-hottest-short-hairstyles-for-2014-best-short-haircuts-for-women/   Settings to mimic hair dealing with gravity (lean foarwad for example).  Also medium and long styles that look realitic rather than what would take a hair dresser to create.  What you tend to see on the street.  My wife, for example, has extremely fine blonde hair and you never really see appreciable volume.   I'd love to see more realiztic medium and long styles, but that may take something like dforce really working..

• Very beautiful work.

edited March 2018

This replaced two wishlisted hairs (totalling over $45). Thanks!

AfternoonBreeze.jpg
    800 x 800 - 138K
    Post edited by frankrblow on

Dragonfly - great image - quick too!

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Another PhilW insta-buy for me. Also got me to re-visit the Ultimate Eyebrows for G8F and grab that as well.

I think both together may be enough to get close-up renders over the "uncanny valley"!

Fastbike1 - many thanks for your support!

PhilW said:

Gerster - thanks for buying it!  By having multiple morphs at 100%, you are pushing it into areas that it wasn't really designed to go. I am already working on my next hair and this will have a very short option.. As for Paige Hair, you could try removing limits on one of the morphs and see if that gives you closer to what you want - but again you will be pushing it beyond its design, so I can't guarantee this will work any better.

Ok, I understand. But you still looking at native G3 support?

When can we except promo images from your next hair product? wink

I would be very interested in a hair product with medium parting where I can morph the hair from very short (boy hairstyle) to very long (at least shoulder length or longer).
    Menas something like this:

https://www.daz3d.com/adam-hair-for-genesis-3-male-s
    to this:
    https://www.daz3d.com/georgia-hair-and-oot-hairblending-2-0-for-genesis-3-female-s
    or this: https://www.daz3d.com/olenna-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s

The product would be perfekt if there would be additonal morph options for pony tails.
    Most products support only very "high" pony tails, like
    or 
    (e.g. https://www.daz3d.com/linda-ponytail-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-female-s)

Idealy the product would allow "deep" pony tails:
     or 

Summary:

• boyish short hair with a morph to at least shoulder length hair (or longer)
    • medium parting
    • pony tail support (low and high style, but primarly low)
    • native G3 support wink and mabye also native for males

Is this with your technic possible? And are you interested and doing such a product?