Forum style: why no like button?

davesodaveso Posts: 6,438

or I agree, or something ... like button. When you get so many likes, casue you're such a likeable individual, you get a free $10 gift card or something .. or an extra 10% off a purchase ... you know, as a reward for not stirring the pot, so to speak. 
But it would be cool to see a post and just splash a "like" unto it ... otherwise, the posts just go by and the person stating such sage infromation does not get any feedback ... or oyu can quote the post and put one of those inspired thumbs up emojiis ... but then the thread just gets bloated with nothingness. 

Comments

• AtiAti Posts: 9,081

Why not thank them for the useful information they gave? Not just with an emoji, but with actual text.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,564

I like the forum just the way it is. I stay away from social media sites that are nothing but useless validation and popularity posts. People should be forced to express themselves instead of hitting a button IMO.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    Ati said:

Why not thank them for the useful information they gave? Not just with an emoji, but with actual text.

That/This. smiley

The emoji is quick but cold. You click on it without thinking much. At least, when you have to phrase an answer, you are able to specify what you liked about the post, or not just agree, but add your own thoughts to the discussion.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,564
    BeeMKay said:
    Ati said:

That/This. smiley

The emoji is quick but cold. You click on it without thinking much. At least, when you have to phrase an answer, you are able to specify what you liked about the post, or not just agree, but add your own thoughts to the discussion.

LIKE! yes

Well said.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,438

like really expressing your opinion? hmmm ........
    yes

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,438
    Ati said:

thanks for this thought. I like it. 
    But doesn't it sort of clog up the thread when there are 150 thank you's when we could just hit "like" or maybe even a "thank you" button?

daveso said:
    Ati said:

But doesn't it sort of clog up the thread when there are 150 thank you's when we could just hit "like" or maybe even a "thank you" button?

That depends on the thread and the post, so I'd hate to generalize.

I know that I would prefer seeing why people liked what I wrote, so I can use this insight in the future, instead of just seeing that a hundred people clicked on a like button. But I'm known to have a huge ego, so this may not be the case for everyone. :D

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,260
    daveso said:
    Ati said:

I think that people want to avoid a creepy Facebook vibe where people have the obnoxious "Likes" number which tells you nothing about the quality of their opinion (I often accidently trigger a "like" in FaceBook).  When someone formally says that they appreciate something, they are often verbose enough that they make an intelligent comment rather than clicking some button (why are we supposed to care that someone clicked the button?).  By keeping it real communication rather than a display of kudos, hopefully, we are keeping it civilkized here.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I would love some kind of 'agree/disagree/educational/funny' functionality. Because, yeah, I kind of hate seeing that there's 12 new posts in an interesting thread and 11 of them are a quote of the first with, "Thanks!" or "Neat!" or something. I often do NOT express my positive reaction because the thread is already so uselessly cluttered. The thing about having a 'like' button is that it doesn't stop people from typing out, "Thanks, now I know how to solve my own issue, Ati!"  but it does let the 10 people who hate writing anything on the internet also express themselves, and it very slightly reduces the kind of clutter that makes a thread lose readers.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

I would love some kind of 'agree/disagree/educational/funny' functionality. Because, yeah, I kind of hate seeing that there's 12 new posts in an interesting thread and 11 of them are a quote of the first with, "Thanks!" or "Neat!" or something. I often do NOT express my positive reaction because the thread is already so uselessly cluttered.

Same.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Which is tough when someone asks for help and there's replies and the person never responds.

- doesn't say thank you.

Worse is when they come back and say "Thanks, I figured it out" but never post what they did to solve the problem. lol

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

I like the forum just the way it is. I stay away from social media sites that are nothing but useless validation and popularity posts. People should be forced to express themselves instead of hitting a button IMO.

This ^

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579

Could not agree more.  My poor little dopamine receptors need a break!  Lets not drag that vapid noise over here.

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750

I so want a dislike button. I'd start 50 accounts and be all allied up and have some real fun when TV was slow..

Ahhh . . . . the good old days

Actually, an agree button would be OK.

Can't be bothered typing/writings why I think that. Typing is an all round pain for me. Should replace my mike, it's only been dead fourish years.

This took me 10 minutes to enter.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I don't want a dislike button. It can lead to forum bullying. I would however like a real option to block someone and not see their posts- ever. That would be priceless.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

I guess the greatest problem with like/dislike buttons would be, that in a thread about anything that has to do with dForce they probably would fall off.  devil

I don't want a dislike button. It can lead to forum bullying. I would however like a real option to block someone and not see their posts- ever. That would be priceless.

Go to their profile page (by clicking on their username), click the cogwheels next to the "message" button, and choose "ignore" from the dropdown menu. This is a 90% solution only, because you will still see the threads they create, but not any comments they make other than the thread starting post.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited March 2018

Yeah That’s not very effective. They can stil quote and post if blocked. I would prefer a genuine functioning block feature

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173

I absolutely agree.  Social media sites are a plague on society.  Life has become too watered down by shortcuts, iconography and "I can't be bothered to actually put in any effort" conveniences.  Consider using the language skills you supposedly were taught in school.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited March 2018

I absolutely agree.  Social media sites are a plague on society.  Life has become too watered down by shortcuts, iconography and "I can't be bothered to actually put in any effort" conveniences.  Consider using the language skills you supposedly were taught in school.

I'm going to 100% disagree on this. Having conversations in person means you get to have body language. If you like something someone said, you can give them a thumbs-up, or smile, or clap. When a friend walks by in the hall, you give them a nod. If you're saying something sarcastic, you tilt your voice. As social interactions move more and more online, there is no body language. "Liking" or otherwise reacting without words is the digital equivalent and without that or some other replacement it will always be sterile.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • I like the forum just the way it is. I stay away from social media sites that are nothing but useless validation and popularity posts. People should be forced to express themselves instead of hitting a button IMO.

I'm going to 100% disagree on this. Having conversations in person means you get to have body language. If you like something someone said, you can give them a thumbs-up, or smile, or clap. When a friend walks by in the hall, you give them a nod. If you're saying something sarcastic, you tilt your voice. As social interactions move more and more online, there is no body language. "Liking" or otherwise reacting without words is the digital equivalent and without that or some other replacement it will always be sterile.

You phrased this so much better than I could have.

And now to use an evil emoji to indicate my agreement: yes

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited March 2018

Which is tough when someone asks for help and there's replies and the person never responds.

- doesn't say thank you.

Worse is when they come back and say "Thanks, I figured it out" but never post what they did to solve the problem. lol

I HATE when that happens, because 99 times out of 100, I had the exact same problem, and am left clueless as to the solution. I like to post "for posterity" if I figured out what the solution was.

Edit: yes thumbs up emoji, to say I agree. Heh.

Post edited by DestinysGarden on
  • Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635
    BeeMKay said:
    Ati said:

That/This. smiley

The emoji is quick but cold. You click on it without thinking much.

But I like emoticons sad (and I refuse to call them emojis cheeky)

We used to have a lot more at Daz though - you really had options to choose just the right response wink

Maybe we need to write to Daz and get them to bring more emotis back mail (<- just because I haven't had cause to use that one before).

But yeah, no 'Like'/'Dislike' etc buttonsno

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528

I just wish the damned forum would actually keep me logged in.

• "Lke" has nothing to do with Facebook or other SN sites,  mechanisms of agreeing/disagreeing with post/user were on forums for ages, since good old phpbb days.

Many people don't and won't post reply, but they often can push "like" or "+1" or whatever to things... You know all those threads that have ZERO replies? If it's something like author's work, he would feel better when sees that people liked post, even if no replies..

• MescalinoMescalino Posts: 431

PLEASE NO like/dislike or other emoji crap. We are a mature community who expresses our opinions trough words and not meaningles emoji's (like many people allready said).

If someone was to like my render i would like to know what it is the like so i know and mabe can do something like that again. Not trough some meaningless "thumbs up" symbol.

• Emoji meant to compensate how in online speech our conversation is limited to words only, as we can't see gestures, eye contact, face mimics etc. of opponents.

• MescalinoMescalino Posts: 431
    edited March 2018

Emoji meant to compensate how in online speech our conversation is limited to words only, as we can't see gestures, eye contact, face mimics etc. of opponents.

Yes that is how they where initialy intended :) happy/smile :( sad ;) wink etc. However they where always meant to be included with words.

When i say You are crazy i can mean this literarely but adding the wink ;) shows the reader i mean it jokingly.

However emoji have taken a turn where they are used without words and they lost there true purpose. in my opinion.

It sometimes looks like the youth of today (yeah im an oldish guy :) ) can't write properly anymore. Messenger messages often have no punctuation and weird abbreviations. Sentences often have more emojis then words.

And sure i too have send a single emoji post once in a while, there is nothing wrong with that. But this is a site for creative people, we can be more creative then a stupid pooh emoji wink

Post edited by Mescalino on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

- doesn't say thank you.

One of my pet forum hates, alongside thread titles that give no clue to the content. I'm quite happy without a 'like' button and would prefer any improvement energy to be thrown at providing a usable forum search engine.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

"Lke" has nothing to do with Facebook or other SN sites,  mechanisms of agreeing/disagreeing with post/user were on forums for ages, since good old phpbb days.

Many people don't and won't post reply, but they often can push "like" or "+1" or whatever to things... You know all those threads that have ZERO replies? If it's something like author's work, he would feel better when sees that people liked post, even if no replies..

I have been using forums (3d grphic forums) for a good few years and I have never seen a forum that had like buttons or anything similar. None of the forums I used had anything more than a conversational forum, ie read a post and then post an answer.