DrivePop online backup

TaozTaoz Posts: 9,730
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Does anyone have any experience with DrivePop online backup?

Their prices are incredibly low, like $0.99/month for unlimited backup space for 1 computer. Currently (today only, actually) they have a lifetime licence deal at only $59.99 (unlimited number of computers, unlimited space).

Usually you get what you pay for so I wonder how reliable they are. Not much to lose though considering the prices.

http://www.drivepop.com/plans-pricing/
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/drivepop-online-backup

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

what does it do for you?

I use Mediafire for online storage and sharing and its free. I dont see what is special about drivepop.

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

It looks to be an online backup solution. Basically you download their app, point it to the directories you want backed up and it automatically backs them up to their servers either in real time or on a schedule.

Looks like they also keep the last 30 versions of a file so you can do a roll back if needed. Especially useful for documents and such.

If you're a serious content/art creator you should look into some sort of online backup solution. Most photographers I know use what's called a 3,2,1 backup plan. You need 3 copies of every important file, on at least 2 different types of media (so 1 on HDD and 1 USB or CD etc) and at least 1 stored in an offsite location.

If you can actually get the $59.99 lifetime for unlimited computers it sounds like a good deal. However when I went to that page it says the deal is coming soon. Not sure if I need to login or something to actually get it but I tend to avoid signing up for these "deal" sites since I get enough junk in my inbox as it is.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited June 2013

Unfortunately the second part of the 3,2,1 backup plan is no longer viable for me as my data is far larger than DVD and I don't have a blue ray drive. But yeah I have 3 copies of important stuff, but I no longer have an off site backup. Which I do need. Used to be able to just give some backup dvd's to family to hold onto, but these days DVD's are not viable.

I have been interested in an online backup solution for a while, any suggestions other than the one already mentioned? My friends have suggested Skydrive and another, but for some reason I didn't like those options.

I need to back up a few hundred gigs somewhere online at a reliable company that won't go under tomorrow. (if i flatten PSD's it would be smaller, but I don't really do that, its time consuming...)

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,730
    edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    If you can actually get the $59.99 lifetime for unlimited computers it sounds like a good deal. However when I went to that page it says the deal is coming soon. Not sure if I need to login or something to actually get it but I tend to avoid signing up for these "deal" sites since I get enough junk in my inbox as it is.

Sorry, I confused it with another program that was on sale today. Looks like it will be available tomorrow or perhaps the day afrer tomorrow as far as I can see.

As for spam, you can choose to sign up for BDJ's daily offers per email, you won't automatically get on their list if you buy something as far as I recall. And you can opt out any time. They are decent people, I know them from different other contexts, so I wouldn't worry about anything.

edited December 1969

Unfortunately the second part of the 3,2,1 backup plan is no longer viable for me as my data is far larger than DVD and I don't have a blue ray drive. But yeah I have 3 copies of important stuff, but I no longer have an off site backup. Which I do need. Used to be able to just give some backup dvd's to family to hold onto, but these days DVD's are not viable.

I have been interested in an online backup solution for a while, any suggestions other than the one already mentioned? My friends have suggested Skydrive and another, but for some reason I didn't like those options.

I need to back up a few hundred gigs somewhere online at a reliable company that won't go under tomorrow. (if i flatten PSD's it would be smaller, but I don't really do that, its time consuming...)

The cheapest I've found is Amazon Glacier. It's especially cheap if you're just using it to backup data. $0.01 per GB per month for storage, uploading is free. The download costs are not outrageous and if you're using it as a backup you really won't be downloading that much to often (hopefully). Their S3 service was really popular but it's a bit more pricey than this solution since it's aimed at enterprises.

Both Glacier and S3 can be a bit clunky to use but there are 3rd party tools available to make it easier.

Some other options:
    Mozy
    Carbonite

edited December 1969

If you want something really professional, and yet affordable, try CrashPlan. Been using them for a couple of years myself, and it works like a dream. Their software is excellent too, with tons of options.

http://crashplan.com

I'm considering trying DrivePop as a secondary online backup though, I'm a bit of a backup freak (learned it the hard way...).

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    Sisca said:

Sorry, I confused it with another program that was on sale today. Looks like it will be available tomorrow or perhaps the day afrer tomorrow as far as I can see.

As for spam, you can choose to sign up for BDJ's daily offers per email, you won't automatically get on their list if you buy something as far as I recall. And you can opt out any time. They are decent people, I know them from different other contexts, so I wouldn't worry about anything.

I'll keep an eye out, like I said that price for a lifetime looks like a good deal. It's a good sign to me that I don't have to signup just to see the deal, that's what I was more worried about. I don't mind signing up and giving them an email address if I actually get a deal from them, it's only fair.

edited December 1969

@Sisca and Taozen thank you both will research ASAP!

edited December 1969

I just checked out the CrashPlan Pro site, it appears that they are being used by Twitter, Sony, Adobe, Disney, and many other big companies, I guess that says something about their reliability...

edited December 1969

Taozen said:

I just checked out the CrashPlan Pro site, it appears that they are being used by Twitter, Sony, Adobe, Disney, and many other big companies, I guess that says something about their reliability...

Thanks for mentioning that, that does help a lot. I am sure they are funded well then and won't disappear overnight.

edited December 1969

Taozen said:

Though I have to question what they mean when they say some of these companies are "Our Clients". The first listed is Google, you're telling me that Google uses them as a backup solution? Google that has data centers all over the world, their own dark fiber network and builds portable data centers in cargo containers?

Still, they seem reasonably priced and even if they're only partnered with some of these companies that tends to speak to their potential longevity. The main advantage Amazon has is it's Amazon, they're not likely to go anywhere any time soon. This one looks pretty reliable and using the service would have to be easier than using Amazon S3.

edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    Taozen said:

Though I have to question what they mean when they say some of these companies are "Our Clients". The first listed is Google, you're telling me that Google uses them as a backup solution? Google that has data centers all over the world, their own dark fiber network and builds portable data centers in cargo containers?

Still, they seem reasonably priced and even if they're only partnered with some of these companies that tends to speak to their potential longevity. The main advantage Amazon has is it's Amazon, they're not likely to go anywhere any time soon. This one looks pretty reliable and using the service would have to be easier than using Amazon S3.

I can see certain google offices or projects using them potentially.

But regarding the Amazon idea, my thought for me is that I would use the Glacier service later as another backup due to its low price. But because it requires more work to get going I'd prefer not use that one right now. I've seen some articles on how to get it to work with 3rd party tools but don't feel like dealing with that yet.

edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    Taozen said:

I can see certain google offices or projects using them potentially.

But regarding the Amazon idea, my thought for me is that I would use the Glacier service later as another backup due to its low price. But because it requires more work to get going I'd prefer not use that one right now. I've seen some articles on how to get it to work with 3rd party tools but don't feel like dealing with that yet.

Can't really blame you on that one. Glacier is fairly new but I've looked at S3 several times over the years and never jumped on it because of the initial setup. Glacier is supposedly easier but it's still aimed more at corporate users than home users.

I just had a popup saying that my Windows Home Server is almost out of space so I guess I really should look into one of these services.

edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    Taozen said:

OK, didn't see google listed, it was actually the Pro Enterprise site I was looking at:

http://www.crashplan.com/enterprise/

But I can se that google is mentioned on the Pro site. Not sure in what connection though.