DAZ Install Manager v.1.0.1.75 Update

Comments

• scotchfairyscotchfairy Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

How does the installer do updates under MacOS (since there's no good way to merge directories without risk of overwriting files)? I manually downloaded the installer after the old one tried to download the update and failed. After tinkering with it, i got a successful download. However, when I tried to do a *general* update, it nuked my Runtime directory. It's a good thing I keep backups. I later found the original Runtime directory moved under the Daz library directory and down a couple directories. I found it in:
    ~/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/ShaderBuilder/Runtime

Does the installer move the original files, copy in the new ones, then copy back the old files?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

The DIM should have no trouble with using existing content folders on a Mac, it isn't simply moving a folder so there should be no issue with overwriting, and it certainly shouldn't move folders.

edited December 1969

Okay, then the moved file problem is probably my Apple "magic" trackpad and my intuos5 pad fighting it out again. I've found they both occasionally pick up random files and move them as the pointer glides over them. Similar to the sliders and zoom sticking in Photoshop that lots of people have seen with Wacom tablets. But when the problem occurs in Finder, the potential for disaster is much higher. I've been using the FIND function a lot as I try and clean up the mess my "professional" hardware left. Since the missing/nuked directory happened just after I did the general update, I wanted to make sure who the culprit was before filing a bug report with the proper companies.

• goghiniharogoghiniharo Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have just used it for the first time, after purchasing daz studio, and it seems to be having a problem with a couple of files when attempting to install them, is it because I have the 64bit version of studio?
    the message is:
    Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for "GoZ for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 32-bit)" requires that the installed path for "DAZ Studio 4.5 (32-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.
    Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for "Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 32-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Photoshop CS6;CS5;CS4 (32-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.
    Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for "Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 64-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Photoshop CS6;CS5;CS4 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.
    Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for "GoZ for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 32-bit)" requires that the installed path for "DAZ Studio 4.5 (32-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.
    Also, If I already have content bought ages ago, can I use the download manager to install it, or do I have to do it manually? (I am a Poser migrant, so not really up on how to install - don't even know if you can have multiple runtimes, etc..)
    Thanks.

edited December 1969

Do you have Photoshop (CS4 or later) or ZBrush? If so you need to go to the preferences dialogue in the Install Manager (click the gear icon at top-right) and then in the Applications tab you need to add the path to the application.

No, DIM won't install old content or zips from other sites (though in the case of the latter, they could be made DIM-ready if the creator wished - but you wouldn't get update notices on them).

edited December 1969

new question: how do you get rid of something that's in the "Ready to Install?" tab? I assume that means it's already downloaded somewhere. I mistakenly had MacOS-32-bit as a download filter. As I'm running in 64-bit mode, I don't need or want the 32-bit versions of the plugins and now the installer tells me it's ready to install them every time I have the DIM on.

Can the DIM actually install DS 4.6? It downloaded it (I forgot to tell it not to do it this time), and then failed the install. Would it have worked if I was sitting here at the keyboard with the admin password?

edited December 1969

new question: how do you get rid of something that's in the "Ready to Install?" tab? I assume that means it's already downloaded somewhere. I mistakenly had MacOS-32-bit as a download filter. As I'm running in 64-bit mode, I don't need or want the 32-bit versions of the plugins and now the installer tells me it's ready to install them every time I have the DIM on.

If you look at the right hand end of the item's entry there's an arrow (points right on Windows), click that to get an option menu including deleting the installer.

Can the DIM actually install DS 4.6? It downloaded it (I forgot to tell it not to do it this time), and then failed the install. Would it have worked if I was sitting here at the keyboard with the admin password?

It will install applications, on Windows,. for me but it does require admin permission when it starts yes,

edited December 1969

Thank you.
    Under MacOS, I've had the DIM install plug-ins, but I have to type in the admin password when it actually tries to write to one of the blessed directories. It's a security measure against malicious scripts/bots/etc.

Cool. No picking through the directories by hand this time.

• SherrySherry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can't get DIM to open. I have tried running from the site, saving it to my hard drive, uninstalling, reinstalling......... still nothing.... I'm running windows 7. 32 bit

• EamonEamon Posts: 159
    edited December 1969

I have yet to use the Download Manager and it be successful!! I am on a Mac IOS 10.6. Daz Studio 4.6.

Trying to use my newly bought Gremlin and the DM once AGAIN fails to do it properly
    It says my Gremlin is downloaded and I have the option to uninstall but I do not see the Gremlin anywhere.

This has happened in all my recent downloads!!

I wish Daz would understand that professionals use this stuff and we have deadlines. We cannot afford sloppy software like this. It needs to work like how they advertise it!

• SherrySherry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I finally got it to work.....I went to my old external drive, found the first version I ever downloaded and uninstalled everything that I had currently. I reloaded from the old version, it installed and opened. It said it needed to update, so I let it and it still worked. it won't open again, so I guess if I need to download, I can just do it all over again............

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Okay I'm currently trying to go thru the product library to get whatever of the old installers I can still get and I've noticed something odd. In some case such as 7627_FamilyGrave and 8097_DreamHomeYardandPool I'm seeing two versions for Family Grave it's 7627_5_ds_FamilyGrave and 7627_FamilyGraveDS_1.1 and in the case of Dream Home Yard and Pool it's 8097_DHYardNpoolDS_v1.1 and 8097_DreamHomeYardandPoolDS_v1.2 for the DIM option though there is just one instance instead of two. So what I'm wondering is this just a glitch or is there some sort of other reason why the two different versions are still available?

edited December 1969

Eamon said:
    I have yet to use the Download Manager and it be successful!! I am on a Mac IOS 10.6. Daz Studio 4.6.

Trying to use my newly bought Gremlin and the DM once AGAIN fails to do it properly
    It says my Gremlin is downloaded and I have the option to uninstall but I do not see the Gremlin anywhere.

This has happened in all my recent downloads!!

I wish Daz would understand that professionals use this stuff and we have deadlines. We cannot afford sloppy software like this. It needs to work like how they advertise it!

Is DIM set to install to a folder you have set as a content directory in DS? click the gear icon at top-right of the DIM interface, then go to the Installation tab - are the folders there the folders you have in the Content Library pane?

• SupercopeSupercope Posts: 128
    edited December 1969

Has all of DAZ's old content been switched to Zip files and made DIM ready?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Nearly all -- there are still 2 items of ordinary DS/Poser content I'm missing, but it might be the bundles I got them in haven't been linked to them yet. Other than that, there are some Bryce items, plugins, software and tutorials that haven't come through yet.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    edited December 1969

I just went through my list - I'm still short about 60 items, mostly older, that show up in my product library but haven't made it to DIM yet. Virtually all items still missing have an SKU under 3000.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

DIM is working fine for me. No problems. But I've totally lost control of my content and want to go back to my old way of organizing.

I've only downloaded and installed about half my stuff (around 7000 total) and want to delete the currently installed installers and rearrange all that content. Because I have nothing in the Ready to Install column I can just delete the zips in the download folder. I've backed them up already. I'll deal with the other half (mainly older stuff) later.

Is it best to delete them by hand or delete the zips through DIM? If deleted through DIM does the manifest go away?

edited December 1969

Okay I'm currently trying to go thru the product library to get whatever of the old installers I can still get and I've noticed something odd. In some cases such as 7627_FamilyGrave and 8097_DreamHomeYardandPool I'm seeing two versions for Family Grave it's 7627_5_ds_FamilyGrave and 7627_FamilyGraveDS_1.1 and in the case of Dream Home Yard and Pool it's 8097_DHYardNpoolDS_v1.1 and 8097_DreamHomeYardandPoolDS_v1.2 for the DIM option though there is just one instance instead of two. So what I'm wondering is this just a glitch or is there some sort of other reason why the two different versions are still available?

So no opinion on whether there is any relevance to there being two different revisions of some items or is it just an oversight?

edited December 1969

Okay I'm currently trying to go thru the product library to get whatever of the old installers I can still get and I've noticed something odd. In some cases such as 7627_FamilyGrave and 8097_DreamHomeYardandPool I'm seeing two versions for Family Grave it's 7627_5_ds_FamilyGrave and 7627_FamilyGraveDS_1.1 and in the case of Dream Home Yard and Pool it's 8097_DHYardNpoolDS_v1.1 and 8097_DreamHomeYardandPoolDS_v1.2 for the DIM option though there is just one instance instead of two. So what I'm wondering is this just a glitch or is there some sort of other reason why the two different versions are still available?

So no opinion on whether there is any relevance to there being two different revisions of some items or is it just an oversight?

I'm guessing it's an oversight, no particular reason I can think of for the old versions to still be available.

edited December 1969

I'm guessing it's an oversight, no particular reason I can think of for the old versions to still be available.

Okay thanks, I wish I could get a better answer then someone's guess but so far you've not steered me wrong Mike.

• GreenleafCatGreenleafCat Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    I just went through my list - I'm still short about 60 items, mostly older, that show up in my product library but haven't made it to DIM yet. Virtually all items still missing have an SKU under 3000.

I'm still missing things like the Millennium Horse, from the Bundle, the bonus foal installed recently from DIM but the rest of the horse bundle has to be manually installed.

I moved to a new computer and let DIM install everything it wanted. I was going to track down the missing stuff but I don't see any way in the account product library to search for things that don't have DIM installers.

Plus it does seem things are still being added, so I'm just waiting.

• Lori_TLori_T Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have just moved to a new computer and am putting install manager to the test. I selected a bunch of items and everything was going along nicely - downloading and installing - when the computer crashed.
    When I tried to log in to the IM it will not let me in - saying I "cannot log in to the specified account"
    It wants me to input my email but there is no place to do that
    I do hope that someone can help out - any suggestions??

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

So got a problem. Not the end of the world since DAZ has all my files safe on their servers but in short

My backup drive failed this AM. It's been a rough couple of months with loosing a best friend to Pulmonary Fibrosis, then my main computer dies, now my backup drive dies (only a year old) so contacted Seagate and waiting to hear from them about a possible replacement drive. In the mean time I need a way to make DIM forget about all my previous downloads, without uninstalling everything so I can redownload and store them again. Mostly all Genesis stuff.

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    So got a problem. Not the end of the world since DAZ has all my files safe on their servers but in short

My backup drive failed this AM. It's been a rough couple of months with loosing a best friend to Pulmonary Fibrosis, then my main computer dies, now my backup drive dies (only a year old) so contacted Seagate and waiting to hear from them about a possible replacement drive. In the mean time I need a way to make DIM forget about all my previous downloads, without uninstalling everything so I can redownload and store them again. Mostly all Genesis stuff.

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks

I feel for you; June was ugly at my end as well.

So - I assume you've lost the DIM download directory and DIM still thinks files are installed.

Go to C\Users\Public\Public Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager and rename ManifestFiles to something else. Now DIM should think the files have never been downloaded. After the downloads finish, rename the directory back to ManifestFiles and DIM will once again think the files have been installed.

There is a downside to this, as you MAY get updated versions of some products that DIM will not know are updates.

edited July 2013

Thanks so much and I'm truly sorry for your rough patch Namffuak! Not sure if you believe in stuff like this but it's Mercury in Retrograde. We still have a week of this nutty energy! I don't need any more crap happening on my end, that's for sure! lol

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

DAYUM....... 5.81 GIG's of settings in the People folder! This does NOT contain any data or textures. Just settings! *faints*

edited December 1969

Lori_T said:
    I have just moved to a new computer and am putting install manager to the test. I selected a bunch of items and everything was going along nicely - downloading and installing - when the computer crashed.
    When I tried to log in to the IM it will not let me in - saying I "cannot log in to the specified account"
    It wants me to input my email but there is no place to do that
    I do hope that someone can help out - any suggestions??

Use the pull-down on the account sign-in to add account. If you need to delete the existing account setting, it's in C:\Users[username]\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\UserAccounts

DIM_add_account.jpg
    577 x 816 - 135K
    edited December 1969

Thank you "fixmypcmike". . That worked a treat. I would not have found that without your help. It is now up and running again.
    I have been wanting to try it out but waited to give it a go until I got this new whiz-bang power machine and could start afresh.
    I had such a huge number of installed products on my old machine that it was not feasible to start with this new system of downloading.
    I am using Win8 and finding it hard going in many ways. However my old school motto was "he who perseveres conquers"
    I found that "Waterfox" my favourite browser got hiccups badly with "smart text" popups so with advice from another forum I installed "noscript" .
    That made everything much worse, because without scripts you cannot do anything in a browser and to set up all the exceptions is far too complex (at least for me). I removed it.
    For your information! Going back to check my old win7 computer, Waterfox has no issues with the "smart text" popups.
    All very strange. . . . .

edited December 1969

I have had so much help here on the forums and I do appreciate it very much
    The Install Manager is a wonderful program to have when installing into a new computer - however
    An important question for me is. . .
    I have found that the path I chose for downloading product is not being used.
    I have now discovered everything has been downloaded into C/Users/public/Documents/My Daz 3D Library
    The problem is that my second drive has plenty of space and the C Drive very little
    So I now will need to uninstall it all and the reinstall into the second drive
    1. I am not sure how to uninstall
    2. How do I ensure that the content goes where I want it to go? I thought that needed to be done in Daz Studio, which is what I did

edited December 1969

To uninstall, just go to the Installed tab, select everything (or whatever you wish to uninstall), and click the "Start Queue" button. If you left the zips in the downloads folder, the items will reappear in the "Ready to Install" tab; if not, they'll be in the "Ready to Download" tab.

To add an install location, go to Settings (the gear symbol) > Installation tab, click the "+" sign in the lower left, and add your new path. Then make sure the Current at the bottom is set to the new location. If you aren't sure whether its set to the right path, tick the "Show Details" box in the bottom right of the "Ready to Install" tab and it will show the current path.