Is "View New Posts" reliable?

barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
edited June 2013 in The Commons

I often click on View New Posts after logging in, to see what has been posted since I last visited. It doesn't seem very reliable to me. If I visit individual forums, I believe I see new posts that didn't show up in View New Posts. What is your experience, or how do you believe it is supposed to operate?

OOPS - should have posted in Commons. Admin, please move the thread if possible. Thanks.
Edit: You moved it. Thanks!

Post edited by barbult on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Seems to work for me, I have never found it to be wrong.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

I have my doubts, but still use it. It's 'amusing' to see page 1 having posts from 1 minute old to 3 hours old, then page 2 having stuff from 11 seconds old to 6 hours old, and then page 3 suddenly not returning any results (despite there being a page 3 and 4 listed ...) ;)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Also, especially first thing in the morning you can read all the posts it shows, then click show new posts again and get another longish list.

BTW if it won't turn over to the last page of new posts, simply use the back button and try again, usually turns over the 2nd time.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 1969

I think it is pretty flaky or I just don't understand the algorithm for populating the page. This thread didn't even show up for me in new posts now, even though there was a post to it less than 2 hours ago. The new posts page 1 shows posts that are even more than 5 hours old at the bottom. This thread is no where to be seen on the list for me.

Also, the " View Today's Active Topics" seems to give the same results as the new posts list. Some on that list aren't very "active", with only a post or two.

My conclusion is that I'll have to scan each forum or I'll miss things I'd probably be interested in. Thanks for your replies and comments.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,819
    edited December 1969

misses many for me too.
    and "all posts by this member"on my own even worse

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

View New Posts is how I've always read the DAZ forums — it never occurred to me there was any other quick and easy way to catch up on only posted-to-since-last-night threads. The only problem I've had (and I don't think it happens (yet!) with the new forums) was when the system lost my "last logged in" status right after I log in and I ended up with only the posts that had been made in the last few minutes. Incredibly annoying, but I don't think the new forums have done that to me... yet.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

I use it but I also find it a bit iffy, sometimes it will pick up posts that are days old as new posts.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

The page a thread appears on seems to depend on when it was created, then posts on a page are sorted by when they were last updated. A thread will show as updated even if the post is later removed (by the poster or by us). I've no idea what causes a page of the list to suddenly cease to exist. Generally if you get down to no new posts at all you will be current, but the first offering does seem prone to being incomplete.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Yeah, it definitely has some peculiar 'features'. I always use New Posts, but if I post something, then return to it, it's never there. And the post order is like something out of Alice In Wonderland.

mac

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    Yeah, it definitely has some peculiar 'features'. I always use New Posts, but if I post something, then return to it, it's never there. And the post order is like something out of Alice In Wonderland.

mac

It will only show new posts -- if you post to a thread, then that post has been seen and isn't new.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited June 2013

maclean said:

mac

It will only show new posts -- if you post to a thread, then that post has been seen and isn't new.

That makes sense, but if I start a new thread, it doesn't show either. Unless it has been 'seen' by me? Hmmm... maybe...

mac

Post edited by maclean on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    maclean said:

mac

That makes sense, but if I start a new thread, it doesn't show either. Unless it has been 'seen' by me? Hmmm... maybe...

mac

Yes, if you start a new thread, it isn't new for you.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Maybe if your secretary posts it for you mac, then it will show up as new to you - (teehee)