Morph loader...ugh! How annoying!

edited December 1969 in New Users

Nothing works on this. I've spent the better part of 36 hours exporting and importing obj files, reading threads, tutorials, help guides.... How difficult can it really be? I export a base obj of genesis with divisions set at 0. Import to blender, rearrange some vertices, export an obj, use morph loader aaaaaand.... Get "geometry did not match"....every...time...no matter the export or import settings. The only time it works is when the obj is imported back into DAZ through morph loader WITHOUT first entering any other modeling software. I suspect nodes and vertices are being renamed somehow but cannot figure it out. So annoying! If someone can tell me exactly what's wrong I'll try a few more times but I must say, this program is close to getting uninstalled. It's done nothing but drain my time with empty promises of "awesomeness" that ultimately result in disgust and disappointment.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

First of all, when creating morphs, you MUST NOT add or remove any vertices, not even one. Sorry for the caps if you already know this, but a lot of people don't, and it is vital to know that.

Another thing that can happen, which is not the fault of Morph Loader or DAZ Studio, is that the modelling application changes the vertex order of the OBJ file, and numbers then from a different starting point, this rrenders the file totally unusable. I am quite sure that Blender can leave the vertex order intact, but you may need to tell it to do that in the export dialogue.

The simple way that is described in most tutorials, is using Hexagon. There is a bridge between DAZ Studio and Hexagon, and creating simple morphs is a breeze. There are a number of users on this forum who use Blender, and create morphs with it, but since Hexagon was given away free for almost a year, most people already have it, and use it for morphs.

I have also used Sculptris (free) to create morphs for DS, but there were problems using Symmetry inside it, and exporting, but I believe that has been solved by now. If Belnder is reordering the vertices on your morphed Genesis, you will need to find out why, either by reading up on Blneder export optins, or asking in a Blender forum, or by just waiting here for a while as I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

In the meantime, I will see what I can find out for you.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

I recommend at start point, you just change head part scale in blender,
    then make test moprh to check your import , export option.

Usually problem is caused by setting of option as Jimmy said about blender,
    but once you find good setting, there is no differnce with hexagon.

1. change genesis mesh resolution Level base , subD level zero in Parmeter>General>meshresolution.

2. In scene tab, only genesis set visible. other object must need to set invisible. by V eye icons

3. File>export (export obj from DAZ to Blinder)
    Use same option as I tell you.

a the top property set "Custome" . never choose " Blender" option (it seems old preset for old version)

b Scale = "1%"

c Axis conversion Laterial X =X Vertical Y =Y , Depth Z =Z ,
    check off invert option (do not check them)

d it depend on how you want to export your obj, but I usually choose these setting .

ignore invisible nodes "check" (must need)
    Use Bone welds "check off" (about Trx weight figure)
    Remove unused vertices "check off" (must need)
    Write UV cordinate, Write Normals, Write Object statement "check on"

Write groups "check on" select use existing groups
    Write surfaces "check on " select No maps then export the obj . eg test.obj

4 Launch Blender , then import test.obj

you need tweak setting left side, under Import OBj setting.

a all Un Check Ngons, Lines, Smooth Group

b Activate Keep Verrtex Order, and Check ON Poly Groups

c Clamp Size = 0.00 (default)
    Foward = "-Z", Up ="Yup" (default)

5 then tweak Obj wiithout change vertex order, and poligon counts.

if you use proportional editing, Usually at first you may lost the Circle of range for genesis scale.

you need to set size more small to see the Circle in your Scene. by mouce scrolling.
    you can see the Proportional size, when you scrolling mouce. under 0.5 may clear see your circle.

proportionedit.JPG
    579 x 596 - 73K
    ImportFrDAZ.JPG
    549 x 616 - 56K
    fromDStoBlender.JPG
    518 x 536 - 53K
    edited December 1969

6 after you change scale some faces of genesis, to test them, export it as obj from Blender.

by Tab and go out Edit mode, confirm Object mode,
    then select genesis only. export obj.

you need to set export option from Blender at this time.

a check on Selection only

b check on Keep vertex order, Poly groups

c the rest option, I do not know which is best or not, but usually I use these setting. see my pic please.
    you may need to check on Include edges, include normals, I think.

I sometimes apply Modifiers, but usually Modifier may change vertex order, and poligon counts.
    I often use shape key. then mix morphs to make original morph.

d Foward = -Z forward, Up = Y up (default)
    Scale ="1.00" (default)

e then export obj for morph targets.

7 return to DS, then select genesis. (check mesh resolution level zero)
    click morph loader pro.

a click show individual setting button. then show advanced settings.

b At this time, you must need to use correct scale.
    I export 1% scale, so that I need to import "10000" %

c Axis conversion are same, X = X, Y = Y, Z =Z,
    and check off all invert position direction. you need not tweak these option,
    but if you use preset it change these setting wihout your intention. so need to check.

8 then select your morph target obj, set property group as you hope to see the controller.
    set good name to your morph , create controll properyt = yes, ofcourse
    Reverse defomation, you need not about this case,, "no"
    then Accept.

9 I often load morph in default morph/morph loader section, to serch controller easy.
    after test it, save as morph to keep my work.

then change property as I want, I may move group,, set coloer etc. in parameter settings
    and save the morph again for my finish work.

finishmorph.JPG
    802 x 586 - 72K
    impFrmBlend.JPG
    571 x 680 - 63K
    ExpFromBlend.JPG
    361 x 760 - 49K
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much kitakoredaz, for the excellent step by step explanation.

I knew someone on our forums would know the answer, thanks again.

edited December 1969

Hi jimmy,, I am now studying blender, everyday ^^;
    then I make hair morph for my character in blender,
    so that it was good timing to show my setting pic.

Then,,, Usually I prefer to make morph by Hexagon. @@;

it is more simple and easy as you know,, and I am used to tweaking tools of Hexagon more,,
    soft manipulation, displacement, and smooth brush etc work great for making morph of genesis.

but Blender has many tool which make more complex effect,,,
    eg It can edit image png sequences by daz studio too
    even though I do not make animation or modeling in blender.

(I sometimese find topic someone try to spilit morph,, Blender shape key and can transfer vertex positon
    of each morph targets , selected without changing vertex order and poligon coun
    but talking every step is hard work for me,, ^^;
    then if I try samething by hexagon, I need many steps than Blender. need to make one more morph to spilit morph.)

edited December 1969

Blender is a great piece of software, but it takes a long time to learn properly.

I will keep your eplanation as a link, and in my EverNote as well, just in case I may need it someday myself. Hexagon is very easy I think, compared to Blender, and I used to use it a lot, not so much this last year or so. I may get back to Blender myself in the future, but I am doing too many things at the moment. I just bought a new camera as well, and I am going to be using it a lot soon too.

Best wishes.

• edited December 1969

Jimmy, Kit,

I appreciate your help but.... I followed Kit's directions very closely several times. I exported from Blender with edges, without edges, I tried different % when using morph loader but every time I get "Geometry does not match." I'm so frustrated with this software I think it's time to simply uninstall it. Nothing works right. Ever.

edited December 1969

Sorry to hear about your problems Steve, but it does work, and it does work correctly for most people.

I can't see why Morph Loader would say the geometry did not match if it did? That is usually a clue that the vertex order or vertex count is wrong. Have you tried kitakoredaz suggestion here:

I recommend at start point, you just change head part scale in blender,
    then make test moprh to check your import , export option.

I am sure if you stick with it, we could find the answer. Try something simple, like giving the Genesis obj a long nose, and importing that to see if it works?
    edited December 1969

Hi,, you must need do as same as what I show you ^^;

first try with the setting. the more you try another , the more you may find different problem.
    all pic are exactly same what I used with testing the morph. in daz studio current version,
    and blender 2.67.

I could not use blender with daz figure well for one years ^^;
    I everytime failed to load figure and clothing in blender
    with good positon, scale,, and often failed to make morphs.

so that I know you feel very frastartion now.

but after asked hear or there in forum, then understand setting now.

I know some option may not need about some case. or you can find more good setting.

but Once you need to success of making simple morph with blender and ds morph loader pro.

After that you can check which modification in blender cause the problem,
    you must export , import only genesis with base mesh counts,
    from both aprication, blender and ds.

And if you use many modifier in blender to make your morphs,
    some modifier may break vertex order. . even though it keep poligon coutns.
    you need to find which modifier you can use or not.

These improt export setting frastration is not only about daz studio, and blender.

I feel everytime some difficulity when I try another 3d tool and use import export files.
    I know usually there must be way, but they do not work as I expected about many case
    untill find the right setting.

edited December 1969

It seems better to check each step once again.

the 1 step is load genesis.obj in blender keep same poligon counts.
    if you only export genesis figure with base mesh counts,
    the Verts = 19296 Faces = 18872,
    you can check it top area of Blender as you know,,,

then after modify genesis in blender, you need to check again the counts.

I really hope you will remove such frastrated problem.

And you may better when you export genesis from blender,
    delete all assets from scene . then must select only genesis.

I often export genesis and other something without intention from blender.

importfromdaz2.JPG
    688 x 479 - 40K
  • lazarus102lazarus102 Posts: 47
    edited November 2019

Post edited by lazarus102 on
  • It seems better to check each step once again.

the 1 step is load genesis.obj in blender keep same poligon counts.
    if you only export genesis figure with base mesh counts,
    the Verts = 19296 Faces = 18872,
    you can check it top area of Blender as you know,,,

then after modify genesis in blender, you need to check again the counts.

I really hope you will remove such frastrated problem.

And you may better when you export genesis from blender,
    delete all assets from scene . then must select only genesis.

I often export genesis and other something without intention from blender.

This is a great tutorial, but could we get an update for 2019?

• The process hasn't really changed. What king of update do you mean?

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064

One thing has changed, for Genesis 8 models only.  Before you export the base model, you must delete the eyelashes.  Eyelashes are a separate mesh, and they will mess up your morph if you don't delete it.

So, you might end up doing a lot of work for nothing if you don't get rid of them.

• The process hasn't really changed. What king of update do you mean?

Well, at least update the posted pictures I'd say. For the import/export, there's a few more options that didn't exist when those pictures were taken. 

• Dave230 said:

One thing has changed, for Genesis 8 models only.  Before you export the base model, you must delete the eyelashes.  Eyelashes are a separate mesh, and they will mess up your morph if you don't delete it.

So, you might end up doing a lot of work for nothing if you don't get rid of them.

Not sure what you mean by delete, but all you need to do is hide the lashes when you export and make sure you import everything back in the same way you exported.

I'll have to look more closely, but I think what you need is still there. I don't know if the OP of the tutorial is still at the forums. If I get time, I'll try to update at some point.

• lazarus102lazarus102 Posts: 47
    edited November 2019
    Dave230 said:

Not sure what you mean by delete, but all you need to do is hide the lashes when you export and make sure you import everything back in the same way you exported.

I'll have to look more closely, but I think what you need is still there. I don't know if the OP of the tutorial is still at the forums. If I get time, I'll try to update at some point.

That would be nice ;-). I think I finally got my morphs to work with this tutorial, but it was a little confusing due to the missing options that are in the 6 years newer versions, lol. . By delete the eyelashes, he means select them in the scene window, unparent them then right click and delete them. I find this is a nice clean way of doing it, and it's always easy enough to port in a new G8M, or to port some new lashes into the old one. Some character packs even come with custom eyelashes. One more thing should be added. It doesn't appear to be a super common issue, but apparently some, either character packs or morph packs come with custom HD morphs that will do the same thing as the Navel morph apparently does/did. I've never had to turn off the navel thing, it's always been off by default. But I had the biggest headache with custom morphs until recently. Whatever I did I'd always end up with this neck morph applying itself to any morph I made. I found out only later that it was some custom HD morph that's been applying itself that way. Now I just gotta find the thing..
    Post edited by lazarus102 on