So is that it for the Sketchup 3D warehouse?

it seems Sketchup free is now browser only and cannot export to earlier versions

I had various export plugins for

so unless you buy pro for near 700USD

the warehouse models are undownloadable unless as collada which is

a mess in most apps

it does go back to 2014 but I have sketchup 6,7 and 8 that are no longer supported

I downloaded a trial of 2015 pro and that exports back as far as sketchup 3, grabbed the installers for later versions too in case I need another 30 days somewhere but otherwise it looks like thats it for the 3D warehouse

Trimble are basically charging for those models many freely uploaded

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

if you have ultimate unwrap 3d pro, it reads the .SKP format and lets you convert to .obj

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796

if you have ultimate unwrap 3d pro, it reads the .SKP format and lets you convert to .obj

I have it and no

not the latest

iClone 3Dxchange 6 will the 2014 versions but as it is a 32bit program it runs out of memory on the big ones and the point was I could previously just load it in one of my 3 sketchup versions and export in bits as SKP still but now I cannot even do that as none are supported any longer 

edited March 2018

You have to download the plugin for it from their site. They have a ton of addition format plugins at the UU3D site. Coverted this from the warehouse for use in DS with it.

watchiray.jpg
    990 x 861 - 954K
    Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,776
    edited March 2018

That watch looks great, FSMCDesigns.

Have you tweaked a lot, materials in Daz Studio, or is it just a conversion made in unwrap 3d pro,

that produced such nice looking materials?

I am using iClone 3Dxchange 7 to convert SKP files, but it reads only formats up to 2015.

I have not encountered the model in warehouse, that does not have such format, yet,

but I do not know what I am missing, because SKP 2017 files are larger than the older ones.

I have not succeded to transfer materials of converted models to Daz Studio, yet,

but materials works in iClone 7, at least showing some colors.

In Daz Studio converted models exported as OBJ shows up all in white.

Post edited by Artini on

I only have iClone 3DX6 but whlie files currently go back to 2014 on warehouse not all fit in 3DX6

I dare say the watch would load in it too

dunno if the massive ones would in 7 that run out of memory in 6 unless it is 64 bit

and since they are dropping a year beyond 3 each year I suspect Reallusion may run into issues too eventually 

edited March 2018

I have not run out of memory in 3DX7, yet.

If the sketchup model is really big, it just takes more time to open it and convert afterwards.

Still have to learn, how to edit materials as PBR in 3DX7.

Post edited by Artini on

TY FSMCDesigns

UUW3D has indeed had an update since my last look and I see the 64bit now has all the exxtra plugins too

so that is something

I still am saddened by earlier versions of Sketchup itself not being supported as the ruby plugins I have give a much better result than a 3DXchange export in DAZ studio etc loading all the maps etc

Artini said:

That watch looks great, FSMCDesigns.

Have you tweaked a lot, materials in Daz Studio, or is it just a conversion made in unwrap 3d pro,

that produced such nice looking materials?

I am using iClone 3Dxchange 7 to convert SKP files, but it reads only formats up to 2015.

I have not encountered the model in warehouse, that does not have such format, yet,

but I do not know what I am missing, because SKP 2017 files are larger than the older ones.

I have not succeded to transfer materials of converted models to Daz Studio, yet,

but materials works in iClone 7, at least showing some colors.

In Daz Studio converted models exported as OBJ shows up all in white.

I rarely use the textures that come with any model from the warehouse as they are generally not the best quality and half the time the model needs to be remapped. The watch is fairly detailed, so I just slapped some iray shaders on it and was good to go. I used it in this image

commando.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 4M

Looks great. Thanks for the explanation, FSMCDesigns.

yes it indeed imports Sketchup files (UUW3D) but my obj exporter for Sketchup 8 still is superior to anything else and that is what it bugs me I can no longer use, it is better than the Sketchup pro one on my 2015 trial, don't know about latest as not ready to waste my 30 days yet on that one.

They really dropped the ball on supporting earlier versions of Sketchup.

I could go as early as 3 with the 2015 trial though so added improvements is no excuse

I think that trial just stops it working not reverting to limited free version either or could use that to at least save skp in earlier versions.

Many of  the meshes are full of nasty Ngons that create spikes intersecting stuff in even the pro version exporter, iclone does not show them but 3DX6 exports them too.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

@FSMCDesigns Powerfully good image, and thanks for the info on Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro and plug-ins.

xyer0 said:

@FSMCDesigns Powerfully good image, and thanks for the info on Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro and plug-ins.

Thanks and no problem. It's one of my fav apps to use and has many purposes in my toolbox.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

I can't say I didn't see something like this coming... But it's still very disappointing.

That's really gonna suck for people in areas with bad internet service. Especially considering that the free version of Sketchup was an important teaching tool in underdeveloped areas, which often don't have reliable (or any internet access).

The new emaciated version of free... No thanks... $700 for pro, hell no, never... (And they keep bumping up the price with little improvement).

After Trimble got a hold of SU, new plugins virtually nosedived... Free ones tanked completely and only a handful of paid ones of any real use have come out recently (like the UV mapper and the Quad Subdivision one). 

I don't think this will kill off Sketchup, but a big part of what contributed to its success was the free community, Google understood that, mostly because it helped with their Google Earth modeling project, but Trimble has determined that they are of no use to them.

I guess this is the way all things go eventually.