Studio 4.6 crashing when switching to Render pane

Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

In 4.5, switching from Actors, Wardrobe & Props to Render was sometimes delayed (by quite a long time, sometimes) but in 4.6 not only is the delay even longer, in some cases—and quite often recently—Studio crashes to desktop instantly when clicking on the Render tab. On rare occasions it switches instantly. Crashes seem to occur after changing something. I used to think it was only shader settings, but it can actually be anything, it seems. The log shows nothing but the last successful operation before the crash. I don't remember any version of 4.5 crashing ever on my system—it was very stable.

I'm using the current Studio 4.6 on a Win 7 64bit system with 16Gb RAM. Video is NVIDIA Quadro 600 with latest drivers.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You need to watch the Update bar at the bottom of most screens, sometimes not waiting till it fully updates can cause errors. I know it can with renders but think it could be the same for swapping rooms.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Have you tried using one of the other layouts that don't use the multi-tabbed "rooms" introduced in D|S4? It was a rather... well-discussed situation at the time. Many people swear by the new layout. Many people swear at it. If it's not working for you now, try one of the others and see what it's like. Remember, that layout you have in D|S is only a default setting that can be changed and fully customised.

(FWIW, I've never used the "rooms" since I don't think and can't work like that — it's why I don't use Poser any more. I'm comfortable using something as close as I can get to the old "classic" layout from D|S3.)

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    You need to watch the Update bar at the bottom of most screens, sometimes not waiting till it fully updates can cause errors. I know it can with renders but think it could be the same for swapping rooms.

Yes, thanks, that's a good thought. I'll keep an eye on that next time (won't be on my system again until the weekend). (Of course, Studio shouldn't be CTDing regardless, but if I can find a way to avoid this problem it's better than nothing.)
  • Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

Have you tried using one of the other layouts that don't use the multi-tabbed "rooms" introduced in D|S4? It was a rather... well-discussed situation at the time. Many people swear by the new layout. Many people swear at it. If it's not working for you now, try one of the others and see what it's like. Remember, that layout you have in D|S is only a default setting that can be changed and fully customised.

(FWIW, I've never used the "rooms" since I don't think and can't work like that — it's why I don't use Poser any more. I'm comfortable using something as close as I can get to the old "classic" layout from D|S3.)

Thanks, I'm not crazy about "rooms" either, but I've been a bit lazy about layouts (and I never used DS3 very much and it was a long time ago). I think it might be a good thing all round to actually put some work into improving my layout, and avoiding this crashing business at the same time, so I'll look into that.
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I think it might be a good thing all round to actually put some work into improving my layout, and avoiding this crashing business at the same time, so I'll look into that.

If you're customising one of the standard layouts, don't forget to save it when you're finished tweaking. Saves a lot of time if the layout gets corrupted (happens occasionally) or if it doesn't carry over properly when you update D|S.