Product Library Downloads...

Bobby.RyanBobby.Ryan Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I finally found the Product Library page that has links to 7 other products that complete the DAZ bundle, but 2 of the7 don't differentiate between PC or Mac. The first problem is with Genesis Starter Essentials. It has 6 different possible downloads but none of them give the option of Mac or PC, though 2 of them have dpc in the file name. Unless DAZ Studio 4.6 comes with Poser that would eliminate 3 options. 14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsDS_1.13_trx comes with a .exe or a .zip extension. And the top 2 show a green Daz logo and in green 'DIM'. I'm on a PC so I'm, at a loss as what to download. The same thing with Subsurface Shader Base. 16324_SubSurfaceShaderBase_1.0_trx has either .exe or .zip available. Also available is 'Subsurface Shader Base', almost a gigabyte in size and nothing that shows Mac or PC; just that green 'DIM' logo. I'd appreciate any hep on what I should download for my 32bit PC.

Thanks----Bobby Ryan.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

Either the .exe (installer) or the one with the DIM logog (plain zip). The one with a .zip but no logo is the mac installer in a zip.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The Genesis Starter Essentials files, the top two (DIM), are for the DAZ Install Manager, which you should be using especially if your are just beginning with DAZ content.

The two with Poser CF (Companion Files), are for people who are using Poser 9 and Poser Pro 2012, so that they can use Genesis in that application.

The other two are the ones you want. The EXE is a Windows installer, and the ZIP is for Mac users.

You should seriously consider using the DIM, is there some reason why you are not using it?

• Bobby.RyanBobby.Ryan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

First I want to thank you both for such fast help. Richard, sorry to be stupid with this but I'm not sure which one you were referring to, Genesis or Subsurface?
    Jimmy, when you said the other two were you referring to the middle 2 or top 2? Since I'm not using Poser the top file (Genesis Starter Essentials) and the middle 2 (14812_GenesisStarterEssentials) are what I have to pick from. Do I need all 3 (I'm on a PC)? Sorry I'm having trouble with this, but these 2 downloads aren't clearly defined as the others were and I guess I just need it spelled out for me.

Thanks much----Bob.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The one you need for Windows is 14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsDS_1.13_trx.exe.

The two top ones are for use with the DIM and are marked as such, the next two are what you need for DAZ Studio, the first one is for Windows (the EXE), and the ZIP one is for Mac users, The last two are Poser Companion Files, and are for use by Poser users.

You'll soon get used to it all. You should think about using the DIM as it is an excellent piece of software, and it takes all the thinking out of it, puts everything in the right place, and tells you when updates are available for your content. There are many other uses too, and hardly a day goes by that I don;t use it.

edited December 1969

Man, I'm so new to this. I didn't know what DIM was. Now I do. I'll take your advice and install it. Now, does that mean I should use 'Genesis Starter Essentials' (with the DIM logo) instead of 14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsDS_1.13_trx.exe?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Man, I'm so new to this. I didn't know what DIM was. Now I do. I'll take your advice and install it. Now, does that mean I should use 'Genesis Starter Essentials' (with the DIM logo) instead of 14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsDS_1.13_trx.exe?

When you launch DIM, click the Download Filters button in the top right of the Ready to Download tab, and make sure only the software you want is checked off. Then it will only show you the files you need, and download the correct ones for you.

edited December 1969

Thanks much! Things worked out pretty well. For some reason it didn't do FXB Plugin or Texture Atlas, but if I ever need them I guess I can do it manually. Also, I ordered this past week Photoshop Elements. I don't know if the 3D Bridge will work with PS Elements but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for all of the help!

B.R.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Texture Atlas and FBX Exporter are built in now, you don't need to install them separately (same for Autofit and Content Creation Tools).

edited December 1969

Great---Thanks!

B.R.