No No - my character are too ugly

davesodaveso Posts: 6,422

I see a lot of folks taking a fiugre, adding 50% of this one and 50% of another, and coming up with these beautiful characters. 
It doesn;t seem to matter what % I add to a charcter, it ends up looking worse that anything I've ever seen. It makes no sense. 
What am I missing? 

The mesh gets all distorted, eyeballs popping out of heads, scrambled mesh, holy cow. I am using same generation .. I've tried 8 and now 3 with the exact same butt fugly results. 

Comments

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I had that sometimes when I had some muscle morph package installed on G3. It was nightmarish. Even now I want to knock on wood or do something else superstitious to ward it against returning. I THINK it was the muscle morph package, anyhow. *scared look*

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552
    edited March 2018

I get this with some GenX morphs I use, but not often and decreasing the amount usually makes it all better. Are you doing it in texture mode or iray preview mode?

My fav way to create characters is using the Simtenero Radomizer. Load up the figure, create two windows, one for front view and one for side. Apply a good skin and turn on the iray preview mode. Now load the Randomizer and select which head morphs I want to use and start clicking, works great

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

The one thing I've learned about morphs is-less is more ;). Small changes and not large ones will get you where you wanna be. It might take longer because you maybe have to tweak more morphs that way, but in the end it's the best route IMVHO.

Laurie

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    daveso said:

The mesh gets all distorted, eyeballs popping out of heads, scrambled mesh, holy cow. I am using same generation .. I've tried 8 and now 3 with the exact same butt fugly results. 

One thing to keep in mind is that all the characters together should add up to no more than 100%. The ugliness you describe usually doesn't start until past that point.

I get this with some GenX morphs I use, but not often and decreasing the amount usually makes it all better. Are you doing it in texture mode or iray preview mode?

My fav way to create characters is using the Simtenero Radomizer. Load up the figure, create two windows, one for front view and one for side. Apply a good skin and turn on the iray preview mode. Now load the Randomizer and select which head morphs I want to use and start clicking, works great

Hehe...I do this too until I get something I kinda like and then start tweaking from there :)

Laurie

• MegonNoelMegonNoel Posts: 377

I have to pretty much echo what others have been saying. Subtlety is key. Small changes, a little at a time, are going to get you the results you like the best because you have the most control over the changes. It's also easier to go back to a place you liked if it starts to take on a look you don't like. 

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

While you don't want the totals to exceed 100%, there is some leeway on that.  Many non-Iconic characters (those that don't come with a generation name after them) automatically dial in Iconic characters to a certain degree (how much varies depending on the character) - but you can dial those out and dial in a different one when looking at the separate head and body morphs.  This does result in a different looking character, though how much will vary of course.  I've dialed out Mei Lin, for example, and replaced her with Aiko (or vice versa).  So you can, for example, have Camile at 35%, Frankie at 25%, and Karen 7 at 65% (having dialed out both Bethany 7 and Victoria 7)  Just between the iconic characters, I try to not exceed 100%

Also depending on how subtly you've used the other characters, you can go a little over 100% with those, but I don't reccomend going over about 115%

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

Also keep in mind that faces always look diffeent depending on lighting and the textures used. There is usually a huge difference between the viewport preview and the iray preview

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    daveso said:

What now? I don't think I've ever seen that level of distortion when mixing characters unless some of the morphs weren't ERC Freezed. 

What morphs are you mixing? 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

There was a glitch that occurred awhile back with Vincenzina, which resulted in the kind of artifacts you mentioned, regardless of whether or not she was dialed in. An update was issued to fix it, but I had already uninstalled her, and I opted not to load her back in.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755

The nose and nose bridge seem to be areas that are the most delicate.

I always end up with a crazy nose. lol....

And I got one where the bottom of the eyeballs poke through the cheek.

This guy started with a Randomizer run thru. Of course I tweaked for a couple hours afterward, but it gave a nice starting point. It has LOTS of morphs ;)

David.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 462K
    AllenArt said:

This guy started with a Randomizer run thru. Of course I tweaked for a couple hours afterward, but it gave a nice starting point. It has LOTS of morphs ;)

Great looking character!

edited March 2018

Thanks :). Tons of morphs - base morphs, RareStone's morphs, even some aging morphs in there despite the fact that he looks fairly young. Most of them are dialed in very small amounts. And of course what I ended up with looks nothing like the random guy I started with, but it WAS a starting point :).

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,422

i dont usually have a problem with morphs per se..as those are usually used very lightly. Its using characters ... heads ... 
    dont remember what i dialed here, but this is an example that isn't too bad compared to some of them ... 

oops.jpg
    1500 x 1875 - 1M
    oop2.jpg
    1500 x 1875 - 1M
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,422
    daveso said:

What now? I don't think I've ever seen that level of distortion when mixing characters unless some of the morphs weren't ERC Freezed. 

heads of characters. they all have dials 0-100%. so a little of this and a little of that, then a couple of frog legs and a rabbit ... viola ..real scary distorted stuff. 

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited March 2018

I've had some tendency for folds in the mesh that aren't wanted. Usually what I'm trying to build is something on an order of a grotesque in the first place and I just fix it in post.  But I have had a few where the folds or ridges are really annoying to light.

Post edited by JOdel on
    daveso said:
    daveso said:

heads of characters. they all have dials 0-100%. so a little of this and a little of that, then a couple of frog legs and a rabbit ... viola ..real scary distorted stuff. 

When dialing in mixes I would recomend staying really low on the percentages. With only 2 characters mixed you can go pretty high percentage wise, but even then you usually don't want to go anywhere near 100%. And a good rule of thumb is the more morphs you mix in, the lower the percentage should (usually) be with each morph. Two characters tend to do ok with their morphs dialed in at 35%-75%. Mix in 3 characters and you're probably not going to want to go above 40% or 50% for each of them. And so on with a lower percentage for each additional morph you want to mix in. Also more extreme morphs like toons and creatures need to (again, usually) be treated even more tenderly with even lower percentages added in. 

edited March 2018

I'm not sure what's going on with your characters daveso, but something seems off. Here is a head mix of all these heads and it's not even close to being deformed, eyes popping out, etc.

Did you start from a character morph or did you start with Genesis 8 base female? I started with G8F and added the heads and the texture that I wanted (in this case, Charlotte's). I suppose if you started with, say, a character morph (like loading one of the characters right from the library folders) then you might get some weird stuff if there are scaling issues.

Laurie

Mix.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 612K
    AllenArt said:

I'm not sure what's going on with your characters daveso, but something seems off. Here is a head mix of all these heads and it's not even close to being deformed, eyes popping out, etc.

Did you start from a character morph or did you start with Genesis 8 base female? I started with G8F and added the heads and the texture that I wanted (in this case, Charlotte's). I suppose if you started with, say, a character morph (like loading on of the characters right from the library folders) then you might get some weird stuff if there are scaling issues.

Laurie

I think he's probably dialing them in too high. You have quite a few morphs dialed in but none above 50%. He said "they all have dials 0-100%"  - I think that it might be the high percentages (the ones at or near 100%) that could be causing the issue.

edited March 2018

AllenArt said:

Did you start from a character morph or did you start with Genesis 8 base female? I started with G8F and added the heads and the texture that I wanted (in this case, Charlotte's). I suppose if you started with, say, a character morph (like loading on of the characters right from the library folders) then you might get some weird stuff if there are scaling issues.

Laurie

I think he's probably dialing them in too high. You have quite a few morphs dialed in but none above 50%. He said "they all have dials 0-100%"  - I think that it might be the high percentages (the ones at or near 100%) that could be causing the issue.

Thing is I went and dialed a few above 50% and they still aren't distorted. I think maybe there's some scaling weirdness going on. Load the base G8 Female and add the heads from the shaping tab. Don't start with a character from the library and see if that makes a difference.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

daveso said:

i dont usually have a problem with morphs per se..as those are usually used very lightly. Its using characters ... heads ... 
    dont remember what i dialed here, but this is an example that isn't too bad compared to some of them ... 

Those...look vaguely like there's Sakura's eyes and stuff in there.  Try something simple, just a tiny bit of two relatively similar morphs.  I mean...also, you could post a picture of zero morphs to see what it looks like, because if that's really off, there might be a morph that's getting loaded automatically.

Also you should post the exact mixes you're doing, so that others can try them to see how it looks.

--  Morgan

AllenArt said:

AllenArt said:

Laurie

Thing is I went and dialed a few above 50% and they still aren't distorted. I think maybe there's some scaling weirdness going on. Load the base G8 Female and add the heads from the shaping tab. Don't start with a character from the library and see if that makes a difference.

I don't know, it looks pretty easy to get distortions when dialing in multiple characters at 100%. Here's Charlotte, Olympia, and Victoria dialed at 100%.

Here's Alexandra, Charlotte, Monique, and Olympia:

lol Pretty scary. These freaked me out a bit while rendering them. haha

• nohiznguyennohiznguyen Posts: 262
    edited March 2018

Some of my dials:

1st: V8 50%, O8 30%, Pei 30%, Charlotte 8 skin

2nd: Charlotte 8 25%, Monique 8 30%, V8 50%, Teen Josie 8 25%, Kalea 7's addon char skin

I think the key is (like some said above): Dont dial too high.

d04.png
    700 x 875 - 875K
    d05.png
    700 x 875 - 775K
    Post edited by nohiznguyen on
  • ButchButch Posts: 797

Load your G8 basic figure and without changing anything, look in either the shaping tab or parameters.  Everything should be 0.  If not, there's your problem. 

Back in the G2M days, everytime I loaded a base G2 male figure, the Gianni dial was always at 100%, however Gianni's shape didn't load.  Gianni had managed to infiltrate the base figure.  I ended up uninstalling both.  When I reinstalled everything worked properly again.     

• MescalinoMescalino Posts: 428

While you don't want the totals to exceed 100%, there is some leeway on that.  Many non-Iconic characters (those that don't come with a generation name after them) automatically dial in Iconic characters to a certain degree (how much varies depending on the character) - but you can dial those out and dial in a different one when looking at the separate head and body morphs.  This does result in a different looking character, though how much will vary of course.  I've dialed out Mei Lin, for example, and replaced her with Aiko (or vice versa).  So you can, for example, have Camile at 35%, Frankie at 25%, and Karen 7 at 65% (having dialed out both Bethany 7 and Victoria 7)  Just between the iconic characters, I try to not exceed 100%

Also depending on how subtly you've used the other characters, you can go a little over 100% with those, but I don't reccomend going over about 115%

I would have to verify at home but i think i just made some morphs to the ayana character but exceeding well over 100% That being said i used both body morphs and face morphs with the face a total of around 125% i think. I did went subtle with the non ayana morphs (i think 3) and kept ayyana around 75% (This is from memory as im not home at the moment)

I do however understand what you are saying and when i did crank up som dials just to see whats hapening Beauty quickly turned into freak of nature :) .

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

No-one here uses negative values? I do it all the time, have limits off for most morphs;)

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

No-one here uses negative values? I do it all the time, have limits off for most morphs;)

I do!  Mostly for individual area morphs, but occasionally for full face morphs and such...

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959
    Butch said:

Load your G8 basic figure and without changing anything, look in either the shaping tab or parameters.  Everything should be 0.  If not, there's your problem. 

Back in the G2M days, everytime I loaded a base G2 male figure, the Gianni dial was always at 100%, however Gianni's shape didn't load.  Gianni had managed to infiltrate the base figure.  I ended up uninstalling both.  When I reinstalled everything worked properly again.     

That's what I do.  I start with base Genesis character and dial in from the shaping or parameters tab.  Rarely do I start with the named character like say Monique or Victoria

I definitely do. I regularly turn off limits to do it too ;)

Laurie