Product review: Lightwave 4 beginners

Shield WolfShield Wolf Posts: 53
edited March 2018 in The Commons

Just recently purchased this series of products looking for some more depth on the Lightwave product from NewTek at the beginner level. The title says it all. Not at all what I expected. Too many items in the program while being good are just not covered,  Could of been better I think. Not trying to come down on DreamLight I have a lot of his products. And love them all. Just a bit discouraged by this beginner title. Maybe a rewrite is needed that will cover the newest version 2018 as well.

Post edited by Shield Wolf on

Comments

• Moved to the Commons as it is not a Product Suggestion.

• I would love to hear feedback from people that have taken this training. What did you like and what did you not like about it?

• I personally do not want to see a training video where the presenter appears to stumble over the product like not being fully prepared. I understand crap happens when you are recording things. But why should I have to waste my time through a system or product malfunction? I am not trying to be mean or ill spirited. I am just telling you how I see things. That is why I asked for other comments regarding this.

thanks.....

• Shield WolfShield Wolf Posts: 53
    edited March 2018

If Daz Studio is such a better piece of software as compared to LightWave as the presenter of this training video says. Then why do they not charge for it. Just trying to understand why such a statement as Daz Studio is better than LightWave was made in this LightWave for beginners training video.  I have used both Daz Studio for years and yes they both have their good points and bad points like all software. But why would such a statement be made? Heck you can't model in Studio like you can in LightWave.  Just trying to understand that's all. Not trying to knock any software.... Both of them serve there purposes very well.

And please do not write on the  tutorial screen where you can hardly read what you are writing on it. To me that is just sloppy work. Just trying to make things better for all of us.

To me I keep hearing how LightWave has many con's compared to Daz Studio. Then why not change the title of this training series to LightWave versus Daz Studio which is better for you, pro's and con's. Not LightWave for Beginers which is really misleading.

Post edited by Shield Wolf on
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

You can always return within the thirty-day window if it's not up to expectations. Personally I think presenter slip-ups should be edited out too.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

As stated above, you can return it within the 30 time period.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

If Daz Studio is such a better piece of software as compared to LightWave as the presenter of this training video says. Then why do they not charge for it. Just trying to understand why such a statement as Daz Studio is better than LightWave was made in this LightWave for beginners training video.  I have used both Daz Studio for years and yes they both have their good points and bad points like all software. But why would such a statement be made? Heck you can't model in Studio like you can in LightWave.  Just trying to understand that's all. Not trying to knock any software.... Both of them serve there purposes very well.

And please do not write on the  tutorial screen where you can hardly read what you are writing on it. To me that is just sloppy work. Just trying to make things better for all of us.

To me I keep hearing how LightWave has many con's compared to Daz Studio. Then why not change the title of this training series to LightWave versus Daz Studio which is better for you, pro's and con's. Not LightWave for Beginers which is really misleading.

I have Lightwave 2015 as well as Cinema4D 

Why get bothered by a gratuitous assertion by one person
    who is just stating his biased personal preference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightWave_3D#Movies_that_LightWave_was_used_in

Daz Studio is nice bit a freeware  Mate but ..seriously ?

• Thanks Mattymanx and Wolf359 for your suggestion. I will consider your help.

• I use Lightwave 9.6 for modeling.  Please keep in mind that Lightwave not only renders, but has a very powerful modeling side as well.  While I love DAZ Studio, it is not a modeling program. 

• I agree Lightwave Rocks. 

• In my opinion the UV mapping could be a little more progressive.  I love that UV mapping can be done in the Lightwave 3D Modeler vs export, UV map, import, etc.  That said, I would like a more advanced unwrapping ability.  My personal approach is unconventional, but after this amount of time, one I'm used to and can use with little bother.  Besides, this is a hobby for me and nobody is pushing me to reach a deadline like a professional artist would be experiencing.

• Still making it work. LightWave seems the one for me.

from one sailor to another.

CV-66 75 - 79!!

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited February 2019

Post edited by HorusRa on
  • Still making it work. LightWave seems the one for me.

from one sailor to another.

CV-66 75 - 79!!

Rock on, Shipmate.  US Navy, 1974 to 1996, retired Chief.  Two fast attack submarines and some other places I don't usually talk about.  :) 

edited February 2019

• Most agreed Rob. Maybe this will eventually be seen by people who can make that happen.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,588

I am a lightwave user and Daz does not have anything that comes close to the tools you can use in lightwave. Lightwave is a commerical tool for professionals. I would recommend doing the tutoral and learning your way around before knocking Lightwave. If Iray is the problem Octane has a Iray plugin that works really well for Lightwave and has more features than the free daz iray. The other side of the coin is that Lightwave is expensive and so are the tools that come with it. If you are just using 3D for a hobby then Daz studio rocks and it is free and well supported and you have plenty of stuff to do without having to get into the nuts and bolts of 3D animation.

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

I personally find Lightwave 3D an awesome product.  While I'm still on a much older version than current, it still is one of the few modeller/layout/animation applications that just 'makes sense' to me.  While I still don't use even half of the functionality, it's my go-to for doing mesh modelling.  And with LSCript you can do a lot of stuff programmatically too, and it's pretty easy.

Like all such apps, it has a learning curve.  But I found it a lot less 'steep' than others.  YMMV.  It was just more intuitive to me.

• Thanks Hphoenix for your feedback. I am glad to see that there are others out there that use LightWave as their modeler.

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

Though I still have the 4k tiny text issue with the older version I have.  :-(  That's just a typical problem with older software than never imagined displays ever having that high of a resolution......But other than that, it's still pretty great IMHO.

edited February 2019